Ok, so today, I went on a search for amps to compare against that Monitor 1. Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I never thought to look at the input sensitivity, since I assumed that all amps would accept at least 4 volts if not more. That was my bad. I'm really glad that I didn't get that one.
Ok, so I know I ragged on Ultimate Electronics, but I stopped by again today to see if they had anything worth looking at. I ended up looking at a couple floor models they had from last years lineup. They had an RF punch 501x which, bridged, ends up like 175x2 or something like that. I had him talked down to about $175 when I found a PPI PCX 440. It's a 40x4 that bridges to 160Wx2 RMS. It was normally $400, but was on sale for $166. Since it was their last one, and was the floor model (it had never even been hooked up at all. It was just screwed to the wall for looks) I got another 10% off that. I walked out the door with it a few minutes later for $159 w/ tax.
The salesman told me that Ultimate's cost was $179, so I actually got it for 30 bucks under their cost. The salesman actually got a -$4 comission on that one(he put it under another salesman's name so he wouldn't lose any money). When he was checking me out and I had already swiped my credit card, he had to get his manager's permission for the floor model discount. His manager came over and chewed him out for giving me the discount when they were already below cost. It was kind of funny. He was like "you know better than that." The salesman just played dumb. Did I get an awesome deal or what? I'm so excited to hook it up.
Now, I just need to know exactly what I need to wire this thing up. All I have is an amp in a box. I figure I'll run 4ga power wire from the battery to the amp in the back. I'll get a distro block when I get another amp for a sub. Tell me if I'm missing anything. I need:
- 4ga power wire from battery to amp
- 4ga ground wire from amp to battery. (The owner's manual says "for systems over 300 W, Run a ground cable from the amp to the battery instead of grounding to the rear chassis--is this right?)
- ??? ga twisted pair to each crossover (is it bad to run this next to the rca's? if so, how do I get it back to the doors?)
- 1 pair of RCA's from HU to Amp (How long? I run these on the opposite side of my amp power wire, right? I'll probably get knuconceptz or Stinger if my friend can get me a discount)
- 1 inline 50A fuse less than 18" from battery on + wire.
Am I missing anything? Tons of questions here... Did I mention that this is exciting for me? :D Thanks for all your help guys.