Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Center Channel Speakers

I do not have a center speaker and consequently cannot hear clear dialogue on movies. My problem is that because of configuration problems I cannot add a center speaker without moving things off of the wall. Can I add two bookshelve speakers on either side of the TV and wire them together into the channel connection to serve as a center speaker?

Member Sales Rating: (18)

have you tried runnning the receiver in Phantom mode or centre off ???

PS welcome to the forum

Easiest and cheapest way to fix your problem was suggested by Willow. Just go into the receiver configuration and put the center channel to "none".
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010

Same thing worked for me for as long as I had no center. Not the best in the world, but better than nothing.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

You can use two bookshelves as your centre. Currently I am using one tower as my centre (RTi70) but will be moving to LSi7. I tested the 70 against CSi30 and I was much happier with the 70.

I probably needed to give more information on my current setup. I do not have a surround sound receiver. My receiver is a NAD 7100 which I bought before I had an interest in home theater. My front speakers are Polk LS-70's. I later bought a Dynaco QD-1 passive surround sound processor. It basically does nothing but direct the signal to the front and rear speakers. It does have a center channel connection which I don't presently use. The Owner's Manual says that if the front two speakers are within 8 feet of each other, I do not need a center speaker. That leads me to believe a true center channel signal is not possible with this equipment. I also notice that when watching something in surround sound, if I go into my tv audio menu and take it off surround sound the dialogue improves but the quality of everything else is diminished. What I fear is I probably need to do a receiver upgrade before adding a center speaker. HELP!

Member Sales Rating: (18)

can you just bi-pass the tv speakers and use only the receiver ??

Thread Information