Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wall Mounting

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Question Wall Mounting

How high should the surround speakers be mounted above the listening position?
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I've been wondering on this myself. Will be getting FXi3's in the near future and due to the location of a large window, I might need to mount them as much as 5-6 feat above listening position. I'm hoping the Dipole effect will still work at this height.

All the product manuals I have say for normal surround speakers, they should be 2-3 feet above listening position.
    Dodd Audio ELP [ Tubes ] // Harman Kardon AVR330 // Parasound HCA-1203A // Denon DVD-2900
    Polk Audio LSi9, LSiC, LSi 7 // HSU STF-2 // Signal Cable Interconnects (SG BW/A2/MP)

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Don't they make stands for the FX speakers? Why would they make stands for this type of speaker if they want you to wall mount them at least 3ft above listening position?
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD

Send a post or PM to 'mantis'. He knows all about mounting options for the surround speakers. I mounted my FXi30s about 3 feet above the listening position and about 1-2 feet to the left and right of the couch on the rear wall. They sound excellent.

donahue
    Mains: Polk RTiA3's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk FXi30s
    Sub: SVS SB12 Plus
    Receiver: Denon AVR-3805
    DVD: Sony Sony DVP-NC800H
    TV: Panasonic TC-P46G10
    Blu-ray: Panasonic DMP-BD60K
    Entertainment Center: Standout Designs Horizon N702
    Misc: AppleTV, Technics Turntable, Linksys by Cisco WET610N Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I just picked up a clearance set of FXI30's at CC for $189/pr, so this is a timely topic. I was planning on mine being about 2 foot above the back of the couch and about 1 foot out from each end of the couch. I have a corner on one side of the couch, so the 1 foot distance from the end of the couch still leaves about 30" of space between the speaker and the corner.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

That sounds like my setup. I also have a corner at one side of the couch. I haven't tried this yet, but I have seen suggestions about switching the speakers from the way that Polk suggests mounting them. In other words, put the left speaker on the right and the right speaker on the left. This points the larger drivers at the listening positions and the tweeter on the other side away from the listening position. Anyone else tried this?

donahue
    Mains: Polk RTiA3's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk FXi30s
    Sub: SVS SB12 Plus
    Receiver: Denon AVR-3805
    DVD: Sony Sony DVP-NC800H
    TV: Panasonic TC-P46G10
    Blu-ray: Panasonic DMP-BD60K
    Entertainment Center: Standout Designs Horizon N702
    Misc: AppleTV, Technics Turntable, Linksys by Cisco WET610N Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band

I'm curious about this as well. Does anyone have an answer to this question?

Originally posted by donahue
    I haven't tried this yet, but I have seen suggestions about switching the speakers from the way that Polk suggests mounting them. In other words, put the left speaker on the right and the right speaker on the left. This points the larger drivers at the listening positions and the tweeter on the other side away from the listening position. Anyone else tried this?

donahue [/B]
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (0)

As far as the FXi3's & 5's are concerned there are tweeters on both faces of the cabs so it won't make any difference for them.

They do however only have one mid/woofer. For those having these speakers it's an easy enough experiment to swap them and give it a listen and it occured to me awhile back that this MIGHT be a viable option IF the surrounds needed to be placed in front of the listening area as opposed to the sides or behind the listening area where Polk recommends that they be placed.

Thread Information