Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

Question The Grudge......

Anyone seen it? How is it compared to the Ring and/or Ringu? So, I would appreciate the feedback before I spend the coins...Thanks
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

All I have to say is don't waste your money.
    Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable

thanks - that bad, eh? ;)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

a buddy at work saw it and absolutely loved it. Problem is, he's the kind of guy that loves all the movies that I think shouldn't have been made so his recommendation only makes me want to wait for HBO/Showtime to pick it up. haha
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

It was only my opinion of it. I hope Saw is better.
    Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable

Member Sales Rating: (11)

i liked the Grudge. it had some of the suspese that M. Night Shyamalan uses in his movies. but I thought this was better than most of his movies.

i'd give it a 7 out of 10. so above average is what i'd say. it's the number one movie for two straight weeks in a row.. gotta be a reason for that. it's good.

Roper and Ebert gave two thumbs down to Saw. but what to movie critcs know, right? I haven't seen Saw and won't be seeing it.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

Saw... I will be seeing that this week!!!! Different thread about that though :)

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

Got the original Japanese version of The Grudge (Ju-on) and it's disappointing to say the least.

Though the Japanese actresses are HOT ! :D
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Saw this one too. I thought it sucked. Awesome story behind it and creepy little kid and woman in the movie but overall, it didn't do it justice. They concetrated more on setting up the scenes so that the climaxing music would reach a crescendo right before something flashed on the screen to scare the hell out of you. It's a cheap thrill and amounts to nothing more than a rollercoaster ride that makes you deaf. I found myself paying less attention to the film and more attention to wincing as the music got louder and preparing for the loud burst of music and screaming for the easily amused audience.

This movie is not worthy of being seen in the theater. Lots of dialogue and I swear that all the sound effects were recorded in mono. So overall, good story, poor execution. Defintly a rental flick.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Man...did anyone here buy it? Disappointing thread. Looks like it'll be a rent-n-rip for me.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

saw is coming out in DTS ES :)
    SDA 2B
    Carver m0.5t
    AMC pre
    Cobalt Cables

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Mmmm yummy. That movie looks great.

Just finished watching it.

My review?

Piss .... meet pants.

Christ, that scared the hell out of me.

I don't know what there is to complain about if you're looking for a frightening film. I was plenty scared and generally made to feel uncomfortable throughout.

Some very deep bass here for those of you who want to see what their subs sound like when pushed.

My advice is to crank this one up pretty loudly, I know I did, and to otherwise set the scene (light some candels, wear Depends) for a horror movie.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Jolida JD1502
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Polk LSiM 703s
    Center: Polk LSiM 703
    Subs: SVS PB 12 NSD X 2
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie

Thumbs up Opinions dont matter

The fact is that movie ratings mean as much as taste in music. I have seen all versions of The Grudge (Juon, Juon-2, The original TV series and finally the american remake - the Grudge).

I think they are all good. Almost as good if not better than Ringu.

Fact of the matter is that if you like Japanese horror movies, you will like this.

The fear induced from this movie is not like the exorcist or from Texas Chain Saw Massacare....this is not a gory but creepy film.

I have had many nights creeped out just thinking of the movie...

Personally I dont care if it sucked or not.

Ill be watching it just for Sarah Michelle Gellar! Hee hee. I think she's purty. :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

made my wife scream out loud several times ...... so it was good fun for me. definatley not the worst horror film i've seen ........ remember house of 1000 corpses??

People seem to disagree with this movie a lot. I thought it was great, and an improvement over the original Japanese version. I think if you like Ringu, you'd probably like this.

Originally posted by movieguy
    made my wife scream out loud several times ...... so it was good fun for me. definatley not the worst horror film i've seen ........ remember house of 1000 corpses??
    speaking of wife screaming, we went to see "White Noise" last night, and even I found myself having to squint my eyes several times to dampen the effects...good things that those were predictable (the music give 'em away)

Member Sales Rating: (21)

My wife bought this for me on a whim, I happened to rent it not knowing she had done so. I saw nothing special in this film. Will be returning the unopened disc. The sound track was the best part for me, did have some nice Fx.

If you liked it great, just not one that really did it for me.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

buddy of mine who rented this brought it over last night. I swear if I had've spent my own money on it, someone would've died. That was the worst attempt at a scary movie I've seen. My god. What was with the sounds "she" created? I about pissed myself laughing. Only thing scary is Gellar actually thinks she can act.

I thought this movie was plenty creepy. I watched it with my wife and two children (early teens) and we were all freaked out watching it. I had to laugh looking over at the kids, it was scaring the hell out of them. Nobody in the room budged for the hour and a half it was on. This movie is way more scary than The Ring.
    O

Member Sales Rating: (3)

This scared the hell out of me and my girls also. I was laughing at them because they would not turn their lights off when they got in bed.:D This was pretty creepy for me as well. I'm not sold on most horror films, but this one got me.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I liked it.

I just watched this Saturday night. I thought it was scary as hell!

SMG was hot as hell too! :p
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

Originally posted by MacLeod
    SMG was hot as hell too! :p
    Don't say, really?? ;) ;)

I bet you've stared at her cleavage in Cruel Intentions more than once?? :D :D I think it is pretty obvious that you like her, which is nothin' to be ashamed of.

Iam a hard core SciFi buff , and sorry to say this movie did not float my boat .

Worth a rent , but not a buy .
    Last edited by stereo55; 02-09-2005 at 01:21 AM.

Originally posted by polkatese
    Don't say, really?? ;) ;)

I bet you've stared at her cleavage in Cruel Intentions more than once?? :D :D I think it is pretty obvious that you like her, which is nothin' to be ashamed of.
    Did I mention I own the first 3 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD? :p

Member Sales Rating: (5)

saw this last night on DVD. not for nothing, but it scared the effin hell out of me and my wife. many screams. I havent done that in a while, so, chalk me up in the good review column.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Thread Information