Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Default FS: POLK RTA 15TL's Restored to MINT

[B]PICTURES ARE UP!!![/B]

I bought these off a forum member/friend awhile back for a rig that isn't going to happen, at least not the original way.

I recently completed a total restoration of them because I wanted to return them to like new, here's what I did.

All dents, chips and scratches have been repaired. The walnut side panels were then glazed with a dark brown glaze to bring them back to the original walnut color and finished with 5 coats of clear satin lacquer. The gloss black acrylic tops were replaced with matte black acrylic sheets (big improvement) and attached with the original style double sided sticky tape. The original SL3000 tweeters have been replaced with the new Polk replacement tweeters and all the drivers/PR's have been cleaned (not Armor All) to look new. The grills (perfect) were cleaned and the Polk logo's were cleaned, sanded and then repainted matte black, the gold highlights were reapplied and then sealed with a clear satin acrylic finish. Dynamat was added to the bottom sides of the cabinet interior as well as the passive radiator baskets. The crossovers, wiring and seals have been checked and all work perfectly. All the tre-loc grill snaps are in place.

PHOTOS: I can email hi-rez shots if you want.

SHIPPING: I have the original shipping cartons, but not the original packing material. However, they will be packed very well. These will ship via UPS, FedEx Ground or DHL. Local pick up is welcome or I can deliver, free of charge, within 100 miles or so.

PRICE: [B]SOLD[/B]

[B]These look new and with the slight mods, sound better than new![/B]
    Last edited by F1nut; 09-03-2004 at 09:14 PM.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Jesse, showed me these the other day, and they look fantastic. The part I like the best is the Matte finish top plate, way better looking than silly Piano Black.

I feel that with the work involved including tweeters, this is a solid deal for a pair of vintage RTA's. The Polk sound is a given, it's how good these speakers [i]look[/i] that will get you wet.

See J...if you would step into the 21st century....you would be digital by now :D

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I can't wait to see the photos. I still feel like I gave (sold) two of my children up for adoption when I sold these to Jesse. These speakers sound fantastic. I really hope these stay in the Polk family. Someone please buy these! I would hate to see these on Ebay. Good Luck Jesse!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Do these have the original or replacement tweets in them ?

"The original SL3000 tweeters have been replaced with the new Polk replacement tweeters...." ;)

They look even nicer in person. :D
    Attached Images  

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Front shot, naked.
    Attached Images  

Back shot.
    Attached Images  

Fronts, dressed.

The spots are from the camera, not on the speakers.
    Attached Images  

The new matte black top with a little dust. Damn, dust! :(
    Attached Images  

Member Sales Rating: (2)

WOW!!!! Nice job.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Jesse,

those are stunning looking. Nice work. If it were me.. i'd keep em. Cherrish your handy work.

:D

Thanks guys! I've got no where to use them, but I hope somebody here does.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Good lord, if I only had the money!!! Please lord, let the cash drop into my lap!

Jesse...STUNNING work my man. You got your craft down to an art form.

John
    I'm not saying she's a slut, but if her vagina had a password...it would be password.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

pay off credit cards, pay off credit cards...

Seriously, I've always wanted these for some reason, in spite of having some awesome 1C Studio's.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Looking good for sure. :)

Member Sales Rating: (6)

man!!! Those look awesome!! What's the frequerncy respoinse om those things? What's the size of those drivers? How many watts would it take to power those things?

Man, I wish I had the money....

Great job on nthe restoring, too!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Default Look Brand new man!

Where on the polk site are the specs for these speakers?

-Luc
    "I'm sure it's better than it sounds."

Mark Twains' response, when asked what he
    thought of Wagners music.

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Four 6.5 inch drivers, a single 1 inch dome (upgraded in this case), and two 10 inch passive radiators, 1 front and 1 rear firing, both tuned to different frequencies.

Casual listening, 60-100 w/cont will suffice, however I suggest a minimum of 180 w/cont if you plan on putting the spurs to em at all. On that note, at TPGII (system showcase), we put INSANE amounts of Sunfire / Rotel / Carver power on them, and they took everything we could give them, and almost seemed to ask for more.

Great deal, one of kind, fully restored man speakers. Someone better sell some of their 'junk' and close escrow on these.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Last edited by RuSsMaN; 08-26-2004 at 12:43 AM.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

I'd expect nothing less from a man who hasn't gotten laid in years..

Great work Jesse.. looks beautiful.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Those look awesome man!!!

What did you use to clean the drivers? I might have to go out and buy some to clean my definitives....

Simply awesome work! Look mint, probally better than when they left the factory...
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Ok, I thought I had a manual for these, but have since realized that I gave it to a former member, Har. I will contact Ken to get another one and post the specs.

I do have a manual for the RTA 11T which lists the overall frequency response as 22Hz to 26kHz. I know the 15TL's go lower than that and I'm certain that the highs are same.
    Last edited by F1nut; 08-26-2004 at 11:47 AM.

That is amazing!! lower than 22Hz from a full-range speaker!! wow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Default manual

I've still got 2 original manuals for these (the RTA 8/11/15 TLs were all on the same manual). I can look up the specs later tonight if still needed.

Just to help the cause here, I'll mail my extra original manual to whoever picks these up!

Ken (the best) emailed me the specs and is sending me a copy of the manual, so I'll include that with the speakers, of course.

The frequency response is from 20 Hz to 26 kHz with the -3dB limits of 27 Hz to 25 kHz. Power handling is 250 watts/channel. The impedance is compatible with 8 ohm outputs and the efficiency is 90 dB. They were produced from 1990 until 1992 and sold for $1,400.00 per pair.

Jawhog, thanks for the offer anyway. You're probably right about all 3 in the same manual as I just realized that the manual I have is for the 8T/11T and not the 11TL. Sorry for the confusion folks.
    Last edited by F1nut; 08-27-2004 at 05:06 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Just out of curiosity, in your mind how do these compare to your SDA's?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

From my limited listening to them on my shop rig (Rotel gear) I would say they have the classic sonic signature of the SDA series without the SDA effect. They had no problem reaching clean, loud volume levels with plenty of bass on the 120 wpc Rotel amp. I was going to use these as surround speakers with my SDA 2.3TL's for HT, but have since changed my mind about doing a HT set up.

I listened to these at TPGII on Tour2Ma's Sunfire....these can get really loud and have no problems in the bass department. Ask Russman's neighbors :D

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Would it be possible to scan in your manual & post it? I have all the manuals for all of my equipment except for my beloved 8T's.

BTW your speakers are beautiful, I wish I could buy them.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by F1nut [/i]
    [B]Ken (the best) emailed me the specs and is sending me a copy of the manual, so I'll include that with the speakers, of course.

The frequency response is from 20 Hz to 26 kHz with the -3dB limits of 35 Hz to 25 kHz. Power handling is 250 watts/channel. The impedance is compatible with 8 ohm outputs and the efficiency is 90 dB. They were produced from 1990 until 1992 and sold for $1,400.00 per pair.

Jawhog, thanks for the offer anyway. You're probably right about all 3 in the same manual as I just realized that the manual I have is for the 8T/11T and not the 11TL. Sorry for the confusion folks. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Cfrizz, send me your address via PM or email and I'll mail you the manual I have as I'm never going to have a need for it. I actually don't even remember how I got it...lol.

Thread Information