Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Cheap vs. Expensive Reciever with use of seperate amplifier

Sorry if this is a dumb question (which I'm sure it is). Anyways, I was wondering, is there any benefit, besides having more features, inputs, outputs, etc. to having a really good reciever if you're gonna get a seperate amplifer? In other words, does it make a difference if you buy a $400 receiver or a $2500 reciever if you're gonna be hooking it up to a seperate amp? Wouldn't the amp handle all the sound pushing and the only differences would be the inherent features/input/output differences between the cheap and expensive model?

Member Sales Rating: (14)

buy a preamp and forget about the receiver.

You will get better sound quality out of a preamp.

Audiogon.com and find a nice used one.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Welcome to the forum - in your case and question is the reason Pre-Amps are made. Excellent quality ones can had in the $500 range.
    PS3 and HD Front Projection, life is good. Too bad Blu-Ray and the PS3 are already obsolete.....

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Depends on what he wants to do folks...

If he just wants to add a 2 channel amp for his mains or something and still wants a HT, a receiver will be needed.

Now if he wants an amp for all channels -- then he should get a preamp...

Need a tad more details eh...:o
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Ya, lets spend at least several hours so he can change his mind..;)
    Simple question simple answer. Every single aspect of A/V i can confuse the hell out of any newbie with details.
    PS3 and HD Front Projection, life is good. Too bad Blu-Ray and the PS3 are already obsolete.....

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Re: Cheap vs. Expensive Reciever with use of seperate amplifier

Originally posted by EA_Cru_2002
    Sorry if this is a dumb question (which I'm sure it is). Anyways, I was wondering, is there any benefit, besides having more features, inputs, outputs, etc. to having a really good reciever if you're gonna get a seperate amplifer? In other words, does it make a difference if you buy a $400 receiver or a $2500 reciever if you're gonna be hooking it up to a seperate amp? Wouldn't the amp handle all the sound pushing and the only differences would be the inherent features/input/output differences between the cheap and expensive model?
    First of all, features only help you if they are important to you. Features have nothing to do with sound quality but you still get them when you buy a cheap or expensive receiver.

In real world you're paying for the quality parts of the A/V receiver or Pre/Pro for e.g., build quality, DACs, DSP, ADCs, Circuits, heat sinks, transformer, internal cables etc,. All of these effects the sound quality due to the quality parts and careful design of the product. AMP section in the receivers is not the best but still works great if you have right pair of speakers. People who own 4 ohm or even 8 ohm capable speakers sometimes use the separate AMP to get the best out of them.

Cheap receivers get you the basic features but not the quality parts.

As far as AMPs are concerned most of them will do an excellent job.

You can always buy a quality receiver and add AMPs later using its pre-out.

Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer Elite, Marantz all make quality A/V receivers. Any receiver costing $700 and up will get you the top quality sound. Especially if you're using its pre-outs.

To make the long story short. Yes, you get what you pay for but if you're on a budget and still don't want to break your bank account buy a good quality receiver and use the pre outs and add amps to it.

OR

If I were you, I'll buy the Outlaw 950/7100 combo for $1,799 and forget everything. I love Outlaw because when it comes to performance and price there is no other brand which you such a deal! They have received stunning reviews in the HT mags. Now don't think they are cheap. They sell there products over the net directly and if they start to sell to the retailers the price will jump twice or even more.

www.outlawaudio.com

Check it out!

Yes, the separates are the best IMHO.
    :)
    Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
    Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
    Polk Audio CS400i (center)
    Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
    Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
    Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
    Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
    Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
    Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)

Thread Information