Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Default B&K ST1400M Series II Amp

I recently got this mono block amp to drive the CSi40. Thanks to Jesse (F1nut) & Rick (Polkwannabe), who gave me the blue book price on the amp. I couldn't find any review on this amp, but I took the plunge and purchased the amp blind based on B&K's good reputation. My HT system is in a family room, which does not have good acoustics. The room has hardwood flooring, and it opens up to a kitchen. The room is very wide and has shorter depth.

I was using the Denon 3803 to drive the CS40i. For the most parts, the Denon did a decent job. For some movies, I can't hear the dialogue during the quiet scenes. I ended up going back to the previous scene and turn up volume on the center channel; then on the next scene, the volume became too loud on the centter channel. I experimented with using the Audiosource Amp 3 bridged at 400watts to drive the center channel, but I didn't find much improvement over the Denon 3803. While the Audiosource Amp 3 does a great job w/ the bass, mid-range and clarity on the RTi70 front speakers at 150watts x 2 RMS, bridging the Amp 3 didn't seem to help the center channel. Some Polkies indicated that bridging the amp produces more distortion. This may be why the Audiosource Amp 3 didn't improve the clarity in the center channel.

With the B&K ST1400M Series II mono block driving the CSi40, the dialogue's clarity really improved, especially the male voice; it is clearer and more intelligible. The B&K ST1400M is a 42 lbs mono block with 60 Amps of high current, 150 watts RMS at 8 ohm, 225 watts at 4 ohm. The B&K has balanced line inputs, along with two sets of RCA jacks to drive two center channels. I am not sure if it's the high current, but whatever it is, the dialogue is clearer now.

At least the center channel amp is settled. Now only I can save enough $ for a SVS or a Hsu. Too many gears that are available, too little $.
    Last edited by kingtut; 09-09-2004 at 06:37 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Sounds like the beginning of a stellar setup...everything will come together eventually. Have fun Tut :D

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Glad things worked out for you. 60 amps is plenty for what you're using the amp for..enjoy!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Thanks gents, more power is always better.

Thread Information