Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adcom 7807

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default Adcom 7807

I have been setting aside money for the amp and am just about there. I have been looking at the Adcom 7807 300x7 or the Shureborn 200x7, I've asked about the Sureborn before but has anyone listened to one yet? The price I was given for the Adcom is $2299.00+$100 shipping comes in wooden crate 165lbs including crate , the Shureborn is $1495.00+$40 shipping also comes in crate and weighs in at 120lbs including crate. These prices seem good but thought I would ask to be sure the store is an authorized seller by Adcom, I would have to call or E-mail Sureborn but I will assume he is for now. I'm leaning towards Adcom due to the audition I did earlier with the GFA 545II.

Thanks

Dave

Member Sales Rating: (1)

seccond star to the right and strait on to morning

that is a hell of a price for the adcom usaly they go for 3400 i have the 7607 and it is a real great sounding amp.
    Gonzo's World
    BenQ 8700+
    115in screen
    PS3,X-Box 360 and Wii
    Sunfire Theater Grand III
    ADCOM GFA-7607
    four avalanch 18 subs 26.12l of displacement
    Crown xti 4000

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Dave,I'm not trying to burst your bubble,but do you really need 300 wpc with your speaker set-up? I would think that 200 wpc would be more than sufficient to drive your RTi's...200 wpc of pure clean power,with all channels driven is good stuff!!!
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I would think that 300X7 might be slight overkill but I'm wanting to see just how much detail I can extract from the current set-up and trying to also look down the road if things should change speaker wise.

Dave

Member Sales Rating: (9)

That's thinking ahead for sure,I wish I could do that,I would have saved myself a heck-of-a-lot cash on all the upgrades I've done in just a short time!!!
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Why don't you add 2 separate AMPs like me. Look for a nice 2 ch-AMP for your RTi70's and then add 5-ch AMP for the rest.

I use NAD C272 150w x 2 for my RT800i's
    I use ADCOM GFA-7605 125w x 5 for the rest.

IMO it is a great idea because there are many times I listen 2-ch music (CDs) so I use only 1 AMP but if I'm watching a 5.1 or 6.1 DVD I use my second AMP too. This way my HT is very flexible.

There are many other ways lot of people add mono blocks for fronts and center and run the rest using the receiver. Another great idea.

There are many options! whichever works best for you.

I recommend ADCOM GFA-7807 for someone who has 4 OHM power hungry speakers. For e.g., Polk LSi Series.
    Last edited by hamzahsh; 09-10-2004 at 09:41 PM.
    Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
    Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
    Polk Audio CS400i (center)
    Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
    Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
    Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
    Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
    Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
    Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hi,

Grateful for any help. I have two Polk RTiA9s and an considering ADCOM power amps of some kind. Read the above with interest!
    Questions:
    1) Is ADCOM really that good in sound and quality? ( I also like classical music but only if the sound is good)
    2) Can I use on 220V as well (later for Europe)?
    3) Do they all have digital inputs (for my Apple TV source)
    4) Is the cost of two amps better than one 7 channel (i,e, 5x 125WPC & 2 x 200WPC or 300wpc)? Or is it a sound quality benefit for the stereo?
    5) Should I consider other brands, which?

Many thanks for any help in advance, Floor

Member Sales Rating: (43)

First Welcome to Club Polk
    Any stand alone amps will not have digital inputs. Amps are pretty much just amps. You would need a pre to drive the amps from your source. I really do like Adcom's in the used market. You can usually sellthem for what you paid.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (2)

What generation of the ADCOM changes is the 7807 in? I am driving my RTi HT with the GFA-7000 and couldn't ask for more. Actually on that system I notice little different in 2-channel between my GFA-555 and the 7000. Now that I am powering the whole HT with the same power rather than 2 channels with adcom power and 2 channels with H/k power my HT is a lot more cohesive.

From what heiney9 has told me (this is your cue to join in..H9) the newer ADCOMs don't live up to the same quality as the mid 80's models. I just don't know where the 7807 fits in.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables

Member Sales Rating: (43)

I had a GFA-7500, and it was a great amp. The newer ones don't turn me on too much.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Adcom multi channel amps are excellent. You really can't compare them directly to the 2 channel amps as the architecture is much different supporting 5 or 7 channels vs. 2 channels. Adcoms have "true" power ratings and on the 7xxx all the channels are run as separately as possible each having their own tap off the power supply as well as their own set of caps. They are built like tanks.

I don't know much about Sherbourne but I think they are great as well. The Adcoms are very tough to beat $$$ for $$$ and IMO, I'd choose the Adcom but as many know there might be a slight bias there, but it's well founded as I've had an Adcom for 20 years, sold Adcom against other brands and have put my Adcom head to head with other amps and it's still here.

FWIW

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Welcome to Club Polk.

Adcom is a good solid company that makes good solid gear.

Getting one 5-7channel amp will only require one spot of rack space & one electrical outlet. More amps more space & outlets required.

Other brands, Outlaw Audio, Rotel, Emotiva, Sunfire, Nad, Parasound. If you can get one used that would be ideal.

www.audiogon.com

Quote Originally Posted by fwavand@msn.com View Post
    Hi,

Grateful for any help. I have two Polk RTiA9s and an considering ADCOM power amps of some kind. Read the above with interest!
    Questions:
    1) Is ADCOM really that good in sound and quality? ( I also like classical music but only if the sound is good)
    2) Can I use on 220V as well (later for Europe)?
    3) Do they all have digital inputs (for my Apple TV source)
    4) Is the cost of two amps better than one 7 channel (i,e, 5x 125WPC & 2 x 200WPC or 300wpc)? Or is it a sound quality benefit for the stereo?
    5) Should I consider other brands, which?

Many thanks for any help in advance, Floor
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Thread Information