Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question Why are Preamp / Processor so $$$?

Looking over most amp/processor combos you can get a nice
    set-up for $600. DD/DTS many inputs and a fair amp to boot.

A stand alone Preamp/Processor [DD/DTS ect] are $1500-$2500.
    Are the quality parts "that" much better/expensive? Or is it the custom design that pushes the price up?

I would like to upgrade from a yamaha amp/DD/DTS combo that's 5 yrs old, but I need to see [or hear] what's the value. I do have a ATI 1805 amp. If you upgraded to a new combo or seperates please do tell.

If this is of any help, Yamaha AV-795, ATI 1805 amp, SVS PB2-ISD
    "Monolith" sub ,LSI7 front+surround and LSIC center. SACD/DVD audio also on deck.
    Front: LSI7
    Center: LSIC
    Surrounds: LSI7
    SVS PB2-ISD SUB [MONOLITH!]
    ATI 1805 Amp

Member Sales Rating: (27)

The difference is HUGE, and well worth the price...

When you get rid of the amp section, and it costs the same - the quality of the parts go WAY up and it definetely shows through. IMO
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (1)

seccond star to the right and strait on to morning

yes it is quality vs quainty. my onkyo put out 110 wpc and so do my adcom 7607 has 125 there is a big differance in the output and quaility of sound even when hooking the adcom up to the onkyo. now addinf a good pre to it realey makes it sing. also a all in 1 will sell more than a pre pro and that also drives up cost.
    Gonzo's World
    BenQ 8700+
    115in screen
    PS3,X-Box 360 and Wii
    Sunfire Theater Grand III
    ADCOM GFA-7607
    four avalanch 18 subs 26.12l of displacement
    Crown xti 4000

Polk Engineer

Most receivers just use a simple chip amp... its cheap, boring, not all that great sounding, etc etc. A real amp is much better.

But all in all, I do agree with the statement of "ouch, that costs a lot!"

Member Sales Rating: (5)

i interpreted the question as wether there is a significant difference in just the premp section of a reciver, as opposed to a dedicated preamp. yes, i notice the huge difference in price. we all seem to be on board that amps have better quality sound than the amp section of a reciever. i agree, and the price difference is worth it. but what about the pre/pro section of a reciever, compared to a dedicated preamp with dd and dts. is the quality that much better than just the pre/pro section of a reciever?

p.s., the most reasonably priced pre/pro i've seen new is the outlaw (800-900?), the only thing i've seem cheaper is my promedia for a little over 100.00 (thank god it does the job, along with my icbm) it just seems wierd that there isnt a wider/more diverse price range for av preamps
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

I think it's partially to do with manufacturers knowing you are over a barrel. Sure there are usually better components, but I think it's also because manufacturers realize that if people are willing to pay for separate amps, cabling, rack, etc., they know most people are willing to pay a little more for a better pre/pro.
    Make it Funky! :)

Member Sales Rating: (5)

you probably have a sound theory there. i'm sure a 1900 dollar pre pro is better than my promedia, just not 19X better :D
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Thread Information