Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default My receiver does not read the surround channels

So I just bought some new speakers:

Center - CSi3
    Sub - PSW 10
    Fronts - RTi6

I kept my last front channel speakers (Infinity) for use as my rear L/R.

I own a Sony STR-DE597 receiver. This displays the speakers that are reproducing sound. It will display the letter of the specific speakers enclosed in a box. So for example. I have my Center, Front L/R, Sub, and Rear L/R but the receiver does not enclose the RL or RR as it does the others.

When I was running the wires for the rears, I had to staple them to the wall, so as to keep them low profile. I mistakenly drove a staple into the wires, both. Do you think that as a result of that the receiver is not reading those speakers.

I must add this though. The speakers are reproducing sound. The receiver is simply not displaying them on its screen. I think it might be a problem with the receiver but I figure I'd try this out first.

I will also add that this is the first time hooking up rears to that receiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carlos

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Welcome Carlos,
    I had a very similar receiver (de595?) and, if I recall correctly, the rear channels would not be displayed when the receiver was in pro-logic or another DSP mode. Check the settings for each channel and the input and processing settings.
    Graham

That worked!

Sorry for sucha silly question. I guess the fact that I finished hooking up the system at 1am and I was sleepy didnt help much in my problem solving.

I look forward to posting a lot more here.

Thanks

Member Sales Rating: (2)

You might want to be a little careful with the driving of staples into the speaker wire because you don't want to short it out.

Polk Engineer

I've had that problem with Sony before... some of the DSP modes have surround, and some don't.

Can you advise me on another subject?

My current TV stand does not allow for much placement. I had to place my center CSi3 under my TV. This is not the problem seeing as how this model comes with the angle feature for just this kinda situation.

My problem is, if indeed it is a problem...I have to place it on top of my receiver. Will this interfere with the speakers performance at all?

I would place on top of my TV but then the center would not be on the listeners position. It would be too high. I will see if I can post some pics later tonight.

Thanks again.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

My guess is that it would be a bad idea to put your csi3 on top of your receiver because they can get hot and the vents on the top of your sony need to have some room so that it can stay cool. Is it possible to put the csi3 on top of your tv and angle it down a little to face it towards the listeners?

Old School

Originally posted by michael_w
    ... a bad idea to put your csi3 on top of your receiver because they can get hot and the vents on the top of your sony need to have some room so that it can stay cool.
    Yup... Consult your Sony's manual, it should state a minimum clearance for heat dispersion...

As for interference, your 3 is shielded to protect your TV from being "gaussed", but there is still leakage of a weak magnetic field. While I've not heard of it happening, I would think it possible that this could induce a current in your AVR's low voltage sections

If room allows, buy or make a platform to give the 3 more clearance from the AVR.

Also consider a wall shelf above the TV, if your room allows this...

Welcome to Club Polk..
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Thread Information