+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: SDA Playlist

Member Sales Rating: (0)

hola
    My Living Room
    2 Channel
    source > Sony DA555ES >
    Kenwood GE-74 > Marantz SR4400 > Rotel RB980BX > Polk SDA2.
    Pioneer VSX-D909S > Carver TFM-25 > Polk SDA1c.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-99 > PSB imageB25.
    Marantz 2226 > Polk SDA CRS.
    Yamaha RX-V690 > Velodyne Servo F1000.
    Home Theater
    source > Onkyo TX-DS898 > B&W CC6 (center), B&W DM603, B&W DM601, B&W Rock Solid (rears), B&W AS6.
    Bedroom
    source > Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH> ML Quest, B&W DM600 (center), B&W DM601 (rears), Velodyne Servo F1000.

Good point with Rubber Soul,,,,,,,,,it is happening with coffee tom. morn. sofT
    Sony Tport>Illuminati D-60>Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro>Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference i2s>Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 w/remote wand>Kimber Select 1030>Decware Zen Select Amp (SE84CS)>Kimber Select 3033> SDA 1/in Stereo only

Sony Tport>IllumD-60>AA DTI Pro 32>AudMagicMysticRef i2s>AA DDE 3.0> Kimber Hero Int>Rotel RA-1062>Kimber Timbre>EmotivaXPA2>Kimber 8TC Speaker Cable>SDA SRS 1.2/use SDA always>Kimber 9033 to/hi Pass jumpers> Kimber PK10 Palladian Power Cord to Rotel

Default Aerosmith on SBM

Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Got a pleasant surprise on this one tonight.

Aerosmith - O' YEAH! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits

It's a 2 disc set. Very well produced. Really shines on the SDA's.

Do you all Remember sony's super bit mapping Disc's? Before SACD AND HDCD. that came out in the 80ties? I have Aerosmith on SBM.A soulman like me.
    PolkAudioClyde

@Stone of tone this doesn't have anything to do with your post.but I notice in your Rig list you also have Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro and DDE 3.0 w/remote wand.I haven't found a CDP that sounds as good those.One day I hope I will find the DIT-Pro 2. if I don't sell all of my rig..
    PolkAudioClyde

The best one I have found so far is Madonna "Vogue" It separates so severely it is unnerving. Her voice in the intro is 10 feet to the right of the right speaker. the rest of the song is a splendid crossing of sounds far lft to far right and front to back. I've had folks point to sounds with eyes closed and it never fails to amaze them when their eyes open and they are pointing to the wall 10 feet away from a speaker. Have to hear it to believe the distance that can be achieved from a properly set up pair of sda's. My Kappa 9's do the same but not quite the distance and separation. (close though) Try it, you will hear the same!

What do you mean ?

Yello has amazing recordings. Very dynamic.

Another good one is Mickey Hart-Planet Drum.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I started a google docs project to get all this onto one page, because, frankly, it's a PITA going through the entire thread to find all the recommendations. It's open to editing by anyone with the link. And the link is... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

Great idea.

I'm taking a bit of liberty with this. In the "individual tracks" listing, anything listed as "many tracks" is getting moved to the album recommendations, as I'm familiar with several of the albums already listed, and not every track on some of those albums shows off the SDA effect. I'll do another update when I've gotten through the entire thread. I'm also adding a few of my own, like L.A. Woman by the Doors.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

Open for editing.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Great idea in compiling the SDA playlist. Thanks Rob for the effort.

Greg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Thanks Quad, that is super cool!

I'm checking to make sure I have everything on the list so far.

Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (4.1TL by Trey, Larry's Rings)-
    SDA SRS2-Parasound HCA1500ax2/1000
    Yamaha xa1000-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround back
    NHTsuper1's surround
    Nad2700-sub, AdcomGFA-555 -Magnepan SMG
    Parasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
    Marantz 2230/B&Kst140- outdoor B&W/Bose/Parasound/KefC75/c40/Polksub
    Technics 1200mk2
    Gamertag: IslandBerserker
    I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe

nnnnnnnggggg.... all the posts with just a track name are filling me with an almost uncontrollable urge to find the poster and beat them to death with a fence post. That's why this is taking so long... finding the album some of these tracks are associated with takes a while.

Open for editing.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

We can definately add Roxy Music - Avalon to the SDA list. The whole album is spectacular on SDA's, but especially the song India. It is very well recorded as well. Not to mention the album is extremely good. Please add this one Rob.

Greg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    We can definately add Roxy Music - Avalon to the SDA list. The whole album is spectacular on SDA's, but especially the song India. It is very well recorded as well. Not to mention the album is extremely good. Please add this one Rob.

Greg
    Anyone with the link can edit the file. I make backups about once a week in case someone does something either dumb or just plain naughty.

I've gotten a bit more done, but a huge list of nothing but artists/tracks is taking as much as an hour to hunt down the album for some of those. And some appear to have only been released as singles, but might appear on a "best of" or other album. So it is what it is. Feel free to pull any track listed as "released as single" and let me know if you have better luck than I did. Or I might come back to some of those after I get through the entire list.

Open for editing.

'New' SDA-2a owner here - less than 48 hours. I knew little to nothing of the SDA series a week ago, but after doing a little research, I was complete intrigued by the idea and simply couldn't pass up a great deal. And now I feel like I'm completely rediscovering my entire music collection.

On the SDA effect, I have to concur with previous posters on music like Rush - Moving Pictures, particularly on "The Camera Eye" track. Always one of my favorite lesser-known Rush tunes, it really comes alive with the SDAs.

Also concur with Yes, Close To The Edge -- all very good (of course, hey, it's Yes after all), but "Siberian Khatru" really stood out to me.

Yesterday, just on a fluke, I tossed in my Blood, Sweat and Tears Greatest Hits CD and checked out a few tracks. At first, I thought the effect on "And When I Die" was pretty darned nice, and then the track ended. Then the horn intro on the next track, "Spinning Wheel", just walked up and smacked me upside the head.

If anybody's got that old "Spinning Wheel" track, toss it in and just let those horns blow over you. Very nice.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. This new experience of my first really "good" speakers in 50+ years of stereo listening is like being reborn. I get to start all over at the beginning...what fun!

Welcome to club polk!

I had the same feeling when upgrading my sda speakers. last night I was playing some good sda list music, and had to double check to make sure my surrounds weren't on because I was running it in 2 channel. It's amazing how the music comes alive to become a huge private performance just for you.

-Everett

Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (4.1TL by Trey, Larry's Rings)-
    SDA SRS2-Parasound HCA1500ax2/1000
    Yamaha xa1000-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround back
    NHTsuper1's surround
    Nad2700-sub, AdcomGFA-555 -Magnepan SMG
    Parasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
    Marantz 2230/B&Kst140- outdoor B&W/Bose/Parasound/KefC75/c40/Polksub
    Technics 1200mk2
    Gamertag: IslandBerserker
    I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe

If only I still had my younger, less abused ears...

- Randy
    Last edited by bmbguy; 02-03-2012 at 01:37 PM.

OK, it's all caught up. Enjoy. I'll watch the thread for new posts.

Open for editing.

Added Yes "The Yes Album" to the list. Excellent SDA effects -- check out "Perpetual Change". Amazing.

Sorry guys, but as I said, I'm completely rediscovering my (old) music collection with these SDA speakers. A very enjoyable experience.

Any Little River Band fans out there? Add "Sleeper Catcher" to your playlist (added to master list).

Quote Originally Posted by bmbguy View Post
    Sorry guys, but as I said, I'm completely rediscovering my (old) music collection with these SDA speakers. A very enjoyable experience.

Any Little River Band fans out there? Add "Sleeper Catcher" to your playlist (added to master list).
    First Under The Wire is one of my favorite albums. Wish I had it on CD $$$. I hate to wear my vinyl out.
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

Member Sales Rating: (49)

TennMan -- I know what you're sayin'. It was the LRB stuff and scarcity of CDs for albums like Diamantina Cocktail and First Under The Wire that got me started doing my own vinyl restoration. And listening to those things over and over on headphones while doing the restoration gave me an even greater appreciation for the music on those albums.

Another entry for the SDA list: Bonnie Raitt's Grammy-award winning album, "Nick Of Time". Superbly recorded and mixed, and sounds spectacular on SDAs. Great stuff. If "Cry On My Shoulder" on the SDAs (with Crosby/Nash on background vocals!) doesn't give you goose bumps, you ain't breathin'.
    Last edited by bmbguy; 03-05-2012 at 08:47 PM.

'Reflection' off of Tool's Lateralus is great, but I see it was already mentioned.

Burson HA-160D > Adcom GFA-5802 > Polk SDA-SRS 1.2tl w/ Mye Sound Spikes, Mills/Sonicap XO, Larry's Rings, Dynamat Extreme, Cardas CCGR Binding Posts and Jumpers, Custom 10ga interconnect, Custom Gaskets, RDO-198

Took Shadowfax - too far to whisper to audition my 3.1's..............then Al Dimeola - kiss my axe for the home audition!

My tastes in music are wide spread and can be a little on the strange side. What can I suggest. There is the only bright spot in the Beavis and Butthead do America Movie, Rob Zombie doing "Ratfinks, Suicide Tanks and Cannibal Girls" from his 2008 album Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. In the realm of Orchestral Metal, Nightwish, and Bless the Child, or Amaranth. Next The Art of Noise, their absolute best is The Seduction of Claude Debussy, track 3, Dreaming in Color will have your house moving on its foundations.

Now we get into stuff that will teach you what SDA was designed for. The Tallis Scholars; they perform the music of Tallis, Palestrina, Sheppard, Byrd, Henry Tudor, etc, plain chant, Madrigals, English Anthems, and especially Masses. When possible the music is performed in the original location where it was first preformed. I Have not yet owned an SDA system but I had a very expensive 5.1 Klipsch system for my PC. Listening to the Tallis Scholars with such a system with recordings that are actually in surround sound is an incredible experience. To hear Church Music written by a young King Henry Vlll in the surviving halls and Cathedrals where his music was performed in his life time, sublime. If you want to make your SDA's happy go here:

http://www.gimell.com/

you can down load the recordings in various formats, Flac is one, and for a musical religious experience with your personal 5.1 system there is Surround Sound 5.1 FLAC. The site has CD quality samples so you can at least get a taste of what you are in for.

Thanks for that Gimell link! I downloaded all the test files, I'm going to have some fun doing blind A/B comparisons with friends and family!

Xoaphexox I envy you, hearing Gimell's recordings for the first time is a religious experience. I have been a fan of Gimell's since the early 1980's.

Thread Information