Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: SDA Playlist

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Seems like any decent vintage rock music works great on the SDA's. Currently listening to the Beatles "White Album" LP, and its great.
    Chris

Preamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Amperex Bugle Boy Tubes)
    Processor: Hk avr 235
    Amp: Adcom 555 MKII
    SACD/CD: Sony DVP-9000ES
    DVD/HD-DVD: Onkyo Hd-805
    Bluray: Sony Playstation 3
    Mains: Polk SDA SRS 2's
    MIT Terminator 2 and BW Silver Cables
    Phono Pre: NAD PP-2
    Turntable: Pro-ject 2 Xperience
    XBOX 360 w/ HD-DVD Drive

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by dagame27 View Post
    Seems like any decent vintage rock music works great on the SDA's. Currently listening to the Beatles "White Album" LP, and its great.
    I have the new release of the White Album and it sounds terrible to me.

Polk-a-dweeb
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    I have the new release of the White Album and it sounds terrible to me.
    Ever heard of The Clamp?

:p
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D

Default Peter Gabriel in SDA 2A

I just got my first pair of SDA 2As (only took me 20 years). Tried various CDs, mostly rock music. Not as impressed at first as I had hoped. When I put on Peter Gabriel's UP album, it was like someone turned on the lights. The entire cd sounds like it was mixed for the SDA sound. really amazing. not his best record, but a really cool aural experience. Also, Beatles Yellow Submarine soundtrack re-release from late 90s (This is the only remixed Beatles music available besides LOVE.) Yellow Submarine cut has all this goofy ocean and submarine sound that swirls around you while the music holds on another sound space. Try it and see.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Statler Brothers - Flowers on the wall

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by jimclass View Post
    I just got my first pair of SDA 2As (only took me 20 years). Tried various CDs, mostly rock music. Not as impressed at first as I had hoped. When I put on Peter Gabriel's UP album, it was like someone turned on the lights. The entire cd sounds like it was mixed for the SDA sound. really amazing. not his best record, but a really cool aural experience. Also, Beatles Yellow Submarine soundtrack re-release from late 90s (This is the only remixed Beatles music available besides LOVE.) Yellow Submarine cut has all this goofy ocean and submarine sound that swirls around you while the music holds on another sound space. Try it and see.
    Throw in some Yes, Dire Staights, Paul Simon, Fleetwood Mac, or other stuff from around that time span most of it sounds pretty good.
    Speakers:SDA2a, sub:Atlantic Technologies 172 PBM
    Pre:B&K PRO-10MC(2ch)
    Amps:Parasound HCA 1000a
    SourcesOppo DV-970HD, Xbox360, Kenwood KT-5300
    Cables:Philips/RCA/Monster

Life's short, Listen to SDA's
    Life is short live Sui Juris
    Where did SOPA go?

Thumbs up Beatles LOVE on the SDAs

I just listened to the Beatles LOVE cd on my SDA 2As for the first time. This is by far the best audio soundstage I've sampled yet. Sounds as big as an imax screen. And if you are a Beatles fan like me, it is a thrill to hear the Beatles with such clarity and sound stage quality. Some object to the "mashup" nature of the CD, but trust me it is well worth the listen. None of the Beatles cds sound like this on the SDAs.

Question: can anyone out there tell me the differences between the SDA 2 and the SDA 2A? I have seen pics of SDA2 and SDA2A with different driver configurations, some with 2 drivers and one tweeter, some 3 drivers and one tweeter. Is there some literature about the product line?

Thanks

Banned

You should here the LP! It blows the CD away.

Thanks. I need to get the vinyl version. I did break out some LPs on my Rega 2, but a lot of that old vinyl just was not well pressed and lack bass. There are exeptions, of course. I don't have any new vinyl...gotta try some.

Handel's Messiah Conducted Hogwood by Academy of Ancient Music - This is what I took into the store in the mid 1980's when I demo'd my SDA CRS at the store and bought them on the spot.

Very hard to find this recording. I sold it in 1991 during my divorce, and only found one on ebay last year!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
    Handel's Messiah Conducted Hogwood by Academy of Ancient Music - This is what I took into the store in the mid 1980's when I demo'd my SDA CRS at the store and bought them on the spot.

Very hard to find this recording. I sold it in 1991 during my divorce, and only found one on ebay last year!
    Awesome, could you please post the pressing numbers and label info?

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    Awesome, could you please post the pressing numbers and label info?
    I will get the info when I am back home, and post it.

This was actually a very good CD in it's day, like it was mastered for evaluating soundstage, you can pinpoint the soloists' positions and yet it captures the size and ambience of the cathedral without smearing the vocals all over the place.

It is mostly lacking in bass because of the venue and lots of harpsichord and violins. Back then i was a rabid vinyl lover and the store didn't have a working demo turntable, having had some kid snap the arm off an expensive Harmon Kardon. So, I'd bought the CD based on a magazine review and returned to the store with it, and the huge soundstage with proper placement of vocals bowled me over.

These days kids buy 5.1 for that....

Banned

I will get the info when I am back home, and post it.

This was actually a very good CD in it's day, like it was mastered for evaluating soundstage, you can pinpoint the soloists' positions and yet it captures the size and ambience of the cathedral without smearing the vocals all over the place.

It is mostly lacking in bass because of the venue and lots of harpsichord and violins. Back then i was a rabid vinyl lover and the store didn't have a working demo turntable, having had some kid snap the arm off an expensive Harmon Kardon. So, I'd bought the CD based on a magazine review and returned to the store with it, and the huge soundstage with proper placement of vocals bowled me over.

These days kids buy 5.1 for that....

Thank you sir,
    Joe

Trying to figure out the correct info to help others find this.

First, bar code top right corner back of box that holds the 1:36.52 hour:min 2 CD set: (little 0) 28943 04882 (little 8)

Second, a set of numbers above the bar code, and on the edge of jewel box disc 2: 430 488-2 [OH2]

Publisher is either "Editions DE L'Oiseau - Lyre" or "The Decca Record Company Limited, London 1980, 1991" - the former is noted in the lt upper, lt lower and rt lower corner on the back & on the edge of the jewel box disc 2, the later is noted in the lt lower and rt lower corner.

I can scan the box if this doesn't help.

[QUOTE=jimclass;712120]I just listened to the Beatles LOVE cd on my SDA 2As for the first time. This is by far the best audio soundstage I've sampled yet. Sounds as big as an imax screen. And if you are a Beatles fan like me, it is a thrill to hear the Beatles with such clarity and sound stage quality. Some object to the "mashup" nature of the CD, but trust me it is well worth the listen. None of the Beatles cds sound like this on the SDAs.

I've been playkng the Love dvd audio in 5.1 for months now, it's amazing
    in surround. I got the cd and played it yesterday and you're right, it's also incredible in stereo. VERY wide soundstage, fantastic job by the Martins on this project. I hope they remaster the entire Beatles catalog this way.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I recently received an original stereo of Simon & Garfunkels "Sounds of Silence". A few of these songs have as wide a soundstage as I have ever heard.
    Chris

Preamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Amperex Bugle Boy Tubes)
    Processor: Hk avr 235
    Amp: Adcom 555 MKII
    SACD/CD: Sony DVP-9000ES
    DVD/HD-DVD: Onkyo Hd-805
    Bluray: Sony Playstation 3
    Mains: Polk SDA SRS 2's
    MIT Terminator 2 and BW Silver Cables
    Phono Pre: NAD PP-2
    Turntable: Pro-ject 2 Xperience
    XBOX 360 w/ HD-DVD Drive

Banned

I have several S & G LPs and CDs and they are all gread SDA showcases.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

any of the remastered by jimmy page, led zeppelin albums. was listening to IV, last night. very wide stage! you can really appreciate the different instruments. bonham's drums on black dog and when the levee breaks are standouts.

and anything from pink floyd i'm biased of course;)

mark knopfler...sailing to philadelphia is great on sda's....it would sound good on laptop spkrs, too i think

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

The latest Christina Aguilera "Back to Basics" is claimed to be recorded with attention paid to detail. Does this mean audiophile? I don't know. But her voice sounds amazing on a pair of SDAs, and that is all I care about. Try the track called "Hurt".

I want, NEED, someone to try that Handel's Messiah I recommended (try ebay) and tell me you agree with me about the mastering being done like it was made for SDA's.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

I'll look for it HeadphoneAddict. I love that movement and would enjoy a good version of it.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I was going through some older CD’s last night looking for a few new nuggets from the past to show off the Polk’s (SDA2) to some friends that are into the more laid back side of rock (70’s & 80’s born again hippies if you will). If you’re into that, you may want to try some of these. They are all incredible and generally appeal to a fairly wide audience.

Poco – Magnolia (from the Crazy Eyes album)

Robin Trower – Bridge of Sighs (a good one for SL2000 versus SL1000’s)

Van Morrison – Into the Mystic

Jackson Browne – Bright Baby Blues

Cowboy Junkies (Angel Mine or anything from the Trinity Sessions)

Brian Ferry & Roxy Music – Avalon, Slave to Love

For 12 string electric fans (ie: the Byrds) – Roger McGuinn (Back From Rio album), Tom Petty’s Face In The Crowd, and anything from the Gin Blossoms.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

For SDA's, try:

1. Chilliwack- Dreams, Dreams, Dreams
    2. Barclay James Harvest- Octoberon
    3. Dennis Wilson- Pacific Ocean Blue
    4. Mott The Hoople- Mad Shadows

These never made my Top 10 list, but they are all Top 10 listening.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDEL-MESSIAH-H...QQcmdZViewItem

Lots of CD and LP copies on ebay now - wierd - for a while supply was dried up...

mralpha

Wow, how does one begin, what a list.....

mralpha

Larry Carlton, "what's your name"

Default binaural recordings

I have heard some great wide soundstages on my SDA 2As, but have yet to get the sense of "depth", where you can place instruments in 3D space with width and depth. The Compendium refers to binaural recording exposing that live, deep sound. Does anyone know of recordings they can recommend that show off that sense of depth as well as width?
    Last edited by jimclass; 11-19-2007 at 11:10 PM.

mralpha

Quote Originally Posted by mralpha View Post
    Larry Carlton, "what's your name"
    posted this yesterday, but had the wrong song. the song is "sleepwalk" done by larry carlton!

Quote Originally Posted by jimclass View Post
    I have heard some great wide soundstages on my SDA 2As, but have yet to get the sense of "depth", where you can place instruments in 3D space with width and depth. The Compendium refers to binaural recording exposing that live, deep sound. Does anyone know of recordings they can recommend that show off that sense of depth as well as width?
    I don't know how many people are into Ten Years After, but if you can get a hold of A Space in Time, it is an excellent example of what SDA is all about!

Thread Information