Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Default Portable MP3 CD Players

Not looking to break the bank, but I want something that'll last and be able to take a beating on a hike or something. What's the best right now for a decent price?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I'd get a flash memory based player if you want something that will not skip while being active.

Rio products are nice.

www.riohome.com
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Define 'break the bank'.....

The problem I have with those flash or small MP3 players is that for a little more money, you can go from 128mb-512mb up to 20 gig......

I had an I-River 20GB that was INCREDIBLY quick with uploading, but the software and functionality was lacking....

Then got a Creative Zen 40GB for around $250, which does great, has a large screen, and very long lasting battery. I had initially purchased one of the Zen's and returned it because the spring clip on the faceplate was hyper-sensitive, but they've resolved that with the newer units.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Member Sales Rating: (11)

All the hard disk based ones are not - by definition - designed to take a beating. Physics cannot be defied when you have a magnetic head microns above a platter spinning at several thousand RPM. You jog, it crashes against that platter. It crashes enough, and you have a nice scratched platter and/or damaged head.

No, for your application, you want the largest solid state player you can afford. There are 512MB and 1GB solid states out there. I am not sure if the new 4GB units are solid state - I think they have microdrives.

For hiking, a hard drive based unit would be fine.....I'd carry it in a padded pack, but it won't be damaged if protected properly.

Jogging is a bit different because the jarring is a constant. Hiking isn't the same beast though.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I don't really do much jogging, but my g/f and I walk a lot (she hates to jog/run) and I take my iPod all the time. Love it! I actually use my iPod every day for something. I even put in a cord to run my iPod into the aux. in on my car CD player. Haven't used a CD in 4-5 months now. LOVE it! Got it on eBay (15gig) for $200 shipped. Factory refurb but has warranty through apple.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

Well we can at least respond with suggestions, but he's been booted and can't respond.......

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Good eye my friend... never caught that. I say we lock the thread.

MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

hmmm....I can't say as I've ever read an offensive post by demi.

all well

I personally use(d) an Iomega Click! disc DAP (digital audio player). It uses small discs (about 2 1/4" sq. & VERY thin) that hold 40MB. That's not much, but while they were still making them you could get 4 of 'em for, like, 20 bucks or so. I also use them for storing/transfering files & such. Very useful. I don't use the player much anymore, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300