Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default 4 speakers, 2 channel amp

Alright so im rebuilding my entire stereo system in my grand prix.
    For the subs im going both spl and sq so those will be dual RE audio SEx subs. The amp powering them will be an MTX JH1200 running at 1 ohm. I know that will be okay and it should be easy to run. However I am having trouble deciding on powering my speakers. The speakers up front will be a set of dxi 6.5 components in kick panels and a set of db 5.25 components in the doors. Then for the rear deck ill be using 6x9 dxi's and 4 inch dxi's. The problem im running into is going to be powering the speakers. Ive got 3 options, i can run two PA330 amps then just run the speakers in paralel one amp for fronts and one for backs(this will be the cheapest by far). I can run 4 PA330 amps(not bad but it isnt cheap and the 4 inch dxi's cant handle more than 45 rms watts and thats 30 less than the amp will put out). The last option is running two PA660's (the problem here is the same as the first but i can get two of the PA330's for less than one PA660)

What should i do?

You won't get true SQ with multiple sets of speakers in your car. A 2 or 3 way component system up-front with the subs in the back would be your best bet. There isn't a point to get 6x9's really. They are up there to fill in the low end on the stock system, and since you will have those subs, it will just drown out the 6x9s. You could save that money and look into the MM line for the fronts, which is a better overall speaker and worth the price jump.

If you go that route, you definitely want to think out how you are wiring it up because the speakers are 2.7 ohm speakers IIRC. Dropping them much lower than that and you are pushing most amps harder than they were designed to be.

Good idea but what i didnt mention is that i work at best buy and polk audio has an accommodation for the workers there so i get my entire set of speakers and amps for less than one set of MM components. So im kinda stuck with DXI's

Can you get the same "killer" deal on MM?

Quote Originally Posted by deathjunior View Post
    Good idea but what i didnt mention is that i work at best buy and polk audio has an accommodation for the workers there so i get my entire set of speakers and amps for less than one set of MM components. So im kinda stuck with DXI's
    unless you're getting an 8ch processor for free, there is no point running 5 set of speakers.

Na i can only get the accommodation on select polk speakers and amps we sell at best buy so the mm's are out of the question on it. Its an accommodation polk does for many of its retailers. So im stuck with the subs and amps i can get. As for running the 4 sets of speakers. Im deffinetly running speakers to fill the stock speaker slots first of all, so im going to run the 6x9's and the 4's in the rear deck no matter what. As for the front speakers i know the 6.5's can reach lower tones than the 5.25s but i still want a set in the doors and i dont want to have to modify the door's to much because i want to be able to replace the stockers if i have to. So the kick panels from q logic will house the 6.5's and thier tweets. As for the 5.25's ill run the 5.25 woofers in the doors and ive got a second set of sail panels for the car and ill drill holes and mount those tweets in them.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

If you're going to put alot of work/effort into creating this setup, why not do it right and spend a little extra $$ on better components?

Having just 1 set of components to power will just leave you cash to get an even better amp for them as well. The extra headroom is always a plus.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by kawizx9r View Post
    If you're going to put alot of work/effort into creating this setup, why not do it right and spend a little extra $$ on better components?
    It would probably be A LOT of extra money. Accommodation purchases are usually 1/4 of retail price.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
    It would probably be A LOT of extra money. Accommodation purchases are usually 1/4 of retail price.
    -Cody
    Geez, that much savings?

I withdraw my statement :tongue:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

Alright so back to the idea now that exalted explained it a little better lol, like i said i can pick up all 4 speakers and two PA330 amps for less than one set of the mm components, i know there a great set of speakers, but i dont get the accommodation on em so what should i do wiring wise. Would i just run one power wire to the positive side on the first crossover and the ground to - of the first crossover, then just run power and ground from one crossover to the other? Thad be parralel

Thread Information