Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Default Ebay 10 cent event (today (monday) only)

post your old items on e-bay for only .10 per item - today only.

[url]http://pages.ebay.com/promo/10centevent/[/url]

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Whoo-pee! :rolleyes:
    As if that's supposed to make up for their (and PayPal's, which is one and the same) outrageous charges the rest of the time.
    Last edited by dragon1952; 12-27-2004 at 06:25 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

well being some small listings can cost up to a few bucks to list , 10 cents is a deal...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC

Yeah...I know. Just happened to catch me in an anti-Ebay moment (no offense Mike). They just canceled a listing of mine at the last minute because I agreed, per a bidders request, to take PayPal, but with the stipulation that he pick up the 3% they charge me. Evidently that's not 'legal'. In this case it would have come to around $85 and that's why I didn't want to take PayPal on this item in the first place. On top of the Ebay charge of around $60-$70 I just think that's too much. They just make it too difficult for sellers to get a fair price. They tell me I should 'build that in' to my selling price. Here's a quote from their email to me:
    "Currently, we do not permit sellers to charge buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of checks, money orders, electronic transfers, or credit cards. Such costs should be built into the price of the item. This policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the true cost of the item."
    I guess me 'building in' an extra $85 isn't going to confuse anyone, huh? :rolleyes: And besides that how the hell do you build something in when you're selling it to the highest freakin' bidder? :confused: If you set your reserve too high your item doesn't sell and you get stuck with the listing fees anyway. If the buyer's willing to agree to the terms for the convenience of using credit than what's the problem? If he doesn't like it he can send a freakin' money order. Sheesh!

Its not just for the convience of the buyer, the seller gets his money asap also.. The fee's are high indeed on high dollar items..
    what in the world did you sell for fee's that high? In that case you should have taken a Money order sent priority mail only, Alot of stuff just plain wouldnt sell as high if sold elsewhere, because if it would we wouldnt sell it on e-bay and pay fee's and wait for money from bidders, Ive sold for many years and just deal with the fee's, I simply cant make that kind of money out of the local paper,

and yes it is Illegal for anyone to charge a fee to take a credit card payment, you cant do it anywhere... not just e-bay,

I feel your pain though on the fee's , so what was the sale? around 3k for 85 bucks in pay-pal fee's...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC

It was a Canon XL1S camcorder. Buy-it-Now was $2749 and my reserve was $2450. It's a pretty hot item and they sell well. I've seen the 'add 3%' on many Ebay ads but what you don't see is them getting canceled so you don't know unless you happened to be a bidder or the seller. I see the 'add 3%' on Audiogon all the time and also on hometheaterforum . What really irked me was the timing....3 hrs before closing on a 7 day ad. I don't know if they scan the ads or somebody ratted on me.

I tried the same thing about 2 years ago without knowing, i got my listing booted also... someone ratted you out... E-bay has whats called robots that scan words that are not allowed, however the desriptions are usuallly gone over by watchers or tattle tales and then e-bay takes action... usually they warn you to change the listing within a day... might have been to late to warn you...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC

Member Sales Rating: (40)

It does suck, and doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to me either. The only thing you CAN do, is offer a % discount for 'cash' (mo / check) payments.

I'm ALMOST ready to stop taking paypal on high $ items. The way I see it, if you want to pay with your credit card, YOU pay the ****in 3% hickey. I don't have a problem with the bank draft payments, but those are few and far between.

I was selling a pair of Klipschorns, and flat out told one guy I wasn't taking paypal. I'm not paying 90 some odd $ in fees, for his convenience.

Then again, you can always price your goods a little higher, to make up the difference and noone is the wiser.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Last edited by RuSsMaN; 12-28-2004 at 02:32 PM.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

i stopped taking pay-pal for awhile, and then offered in e-mail a pay-pal option if they wanted to pay the fee's... that way its not offered in auction but they make the choice of fast convience or wait it out with a MO, I'm tired of the fee's as well... when that monthly fee rolls around im like, what the heck did i sell for that much fee's
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC

Sorry, I'm going to rant here because this is one of my pet peeves. It isn't meant to be personal, it just hits a nerve...

<RANT>

PayPal's fee structure isn't any more intrusive than what a B&M business pays to have a merchant account with Visa or Mastercard. The percentage may be lower for a merchant account if you have a high enough volume, but for the little guy or the sporadic seller it's actually more, since virtually all commercial merchant accounts cost a monthly flat fee in addition to the percentage fee.

It's a cost of doing business.

Here's a hint: Take into account PayPal fees when pricing your items. Set your reserve or minimum bid just a tad higher.

I swear, people want everything for free. If it's not free, then whinecrycomplain.

How DARE Ebay or PayPal charge me fees to use their services!! The nerve!

No one is forcing you to use either service. You know the fee structure going in, as well as the restrictions on what you may or may not charge for. Just because you don't feel that it's fair that you can't charge extra for the fees, don't whine that you got caught doing so. You were in the wrong. Period.

Like it or not, PayPal has made personal commerce MUCH easier than it was. Anyone who does large volumes of business remember what it was like before PayPal? Waiting for checks or money orders to arrive? Getting lost in the mail? Checks bouncing? Dealing with refunds? International commerce: fuhgiddabowdit!

Not only that, but big ticket items didn't sell anywhere near as frequently nor for as high prices, since individuals could not pay one another with credit cards.

Convenience and immediacy come at a price, and in the global scheme of things, the fees are really quite small.

[Disclaimer: If you opt NOT to use PayPal because you feel the fees are too high, then more power to you. It's people who gleefully accept PayPal, and at the same time complain about the fees, that frost my nads. Then don't use PayPal! Revel in the knowledge that you're not paying fees, and at the same time be aware that your auctions probably aren't garnering the number of bids that they would be if you did accept PayPal...]

</RANT>

[QUOTE]It's a cost of doing business.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to turn a profit hence it is not a business effort.

[QUOTE]I swear, people want everything for free.[/QUOTE]

$85 is too high to act as a middleman. There should be a reasonable limit. Nobody's asking for free. Read the freakin' post *******.

[QUOTE]Here's a hint: Take into account PayPal fees when pricing your items. Set your reserve or minimum bid just a tad higher.[/QUOTE]

You call $85 a 'tad higher' ? Maybe that works on low dollar items but not on higher dollar items. Like I said originally (if you would have read it) , if you set your reserve too high it doesn't sell and you get stuck with substantial listing fees anyway. What part of that did you not understand?

[QUOTE]You know the fee structure going in, as well as the restrictions on what you may or may not charge for. [/QUOTE]

Gee sorry....I apologize for not reading the ga-zillion rules in advance. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]Anyone who does large volumes of business[/QUOTE]

I don't...that's the point.

[QUOTE]but big ticket items didn't sell anywhere near as frequently nor for as high prices, since individuals could not pay one another with credit cards.[/QUOTE]

The fees on large ticket items negate any additional amount you can expect so that excuse doesn't fly.

[QUOTE]and in the global scheme of things, the fees are really quite small.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a member of a global scheme...if you are please don't include me.

Bottom line is this. If I want to pass the fee on or split it and it's OK with the buyer than what's the problem? The Ebay/PayPal conglomerant are making millions. Business sellers are making out bigtime too. It's us little sellers that want to sell an occasional item that get the shaft. I'm trying to make it easier for the poor buyer who doesn't have the cash on hand. I had plenty of bids before I made the stipulation and probably didn't have to do it. **** me for being a nce guy!

[QUOTE]The way I see it, if you want to pay with your credit card, YOU pay the ****in 3% hickey.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! That's the freakin' bottom line!

And....as someone recently pointed out:
    [QUOTE]You're not getting old and crotchety are you? [/QUOTE]

YES I AM! I'm old and my crotch itches which makes me very ornery so don't f*ck with me! :mad:

Last edited by dragon1952; 12-28-2004 at 04:11 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

The last few things I purchased I had to pay the paypal fee. (it was agreed upon prior to the purchase)

My Cinepro amp I had to pay the paypal fee and the sub I purchased from Mazeroth I had to pay the fee.

The sub fee really torqued me though because I was using paypal with a direct transfer out of my bank account. (not a credit card in sight) and I still got dinged the 3% fee. I thought that was a little much.

If it is agreed upon prior to purchase I don't see the problem passing on the fee. There must be some way to accomplish this. Can you offer a discount for cash or offer paypal only with prior approval via e-mail. (where they offer to pick up the charges.)?

Just a thought.

Michael

BTW - point of the thread was an opportunity to get rid of a bunch of old low dollar stuff (like clearing out old childrens toys that are only worth a buck or two) Not to save $3 when listing an item worth over $2,000. ;)
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

[QUOTE]BTW - point of the thread was an opportunity to get rid of a bunch of old low dollar stuff (like clearing out old childrens toys that are only worth a buck or two) Not to save $3 when listing an item worth over $2,000. [/QUOTE]

I know....sorry, that was my fault I'm afraid! :o

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by dragon1952 [/i]
    [B]I'm not trying to turn a profit hence it is not a business effort.

$85 is too high to act as a middleman. There should be a reasonable limit. Nobody's asking for free. [color=red]Read the freakin' post *******.[/color]
    [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not the one who started namecalling, so right back atcha, ****head. ;)

A few points:

1. You're "not trying to turn a profit", so you should get for free what others have to pay for? Motivation does not set the rules, I'm afraid.

2. $85 is too high to act as a middleman on a multi-thousand dollar purchase? So, Mr. business expert, what is the appropriate fee for being the payment conduit between two unkown parties on large financial transactions?

3. "Gee sorry....I apologize for not reading the ga-zillion rules in advance." Wow! You entered into a binding contract when you applied for a PayPal account. You didn't read the rules? Call me anal, but I did. Those "ga-zillion rules" are where shysters toss in the GOTCHA! in loan applications, mortgages, credit card agreements, etc. Yes, reading through tortuous legalese is a painful experience, but to assure safety, it's a necessity.

4. I think the math is a little off. On a $2749 BIN, the PayPal fees would have been $80, not $85 (splitting hairs I know, but that's the joy of these little tit-for-tats :D ).

5. "The fees on large ticket items negate any additional amount you can expect so that excuse doesn't fly." Well, as you've said, you're not an experienced/volume Ebay buyer/seller, but you're wrong on this one...

6. "Bottom line is this. If I want to pass the fee on or split it and it's OK with the buyer than what's the problem? The Ebay/PayPal conglomerant are making millions. Business sellers are making out bigtime too. It's us little sellers that want to sell an occasional item that get the shaft. I'm trying to make it easier for the poor buyer who doesn't have the cash on hand. I had plenty of bids before I made the stipulation and probably didn't have to do it. **** me for being a nce guy!"

Bottom line is this: Regardless of what magnanimous you or magnanimous buyer want to do, advertising such IS AGAINST THE RULES. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. It's PayPal's service; they get to make the rules. Use service, obey rules.

*sigh*

This could go on forever, and as much as I like a good spat, I don't think either one of us will convince the other of his position. :D

Sigh!! :(
    OK....here goes!

[QUOTE]I'm not the one who started namecalling, so right back atcha, ****head. [/QUOTE] :eek:

[QUOTE]It's PayPal's service; they get to make the rules. Use service, obey rules.[/QUOTE]

Change does not come through comformity. :p

[QUOTE]You're "not trying to turn a profit", so you should get for free what others have to pay for? [/QUOTE]

Not free....reasonable. (you put words in people's mouths)

[QUOTE]So, Mr. business expert, what is the appropriate fee for being the payment conduit between two unkown parties on large financial transactions?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for finally acknowledging my intellect! As for your question, an amount that is fair and reasonable enough as to make it worthwhile to use the service. For $2749 I would find around $40 acceptable. $85 is way too high for doing a 'handoff'.

[QUOTE]I think the math is a little off. On a $2749 BIN, the PayPal fees would have been $80, not $85[/QUOTE]

You're splitting hairs :p

[QUOTE]You didn't read the rules? Call me anal, but I did. [/QUOTE]

OK...you asked for it! YOU'RE ANAL! :D

[QUOTE]"The fees on large ticket items negate any additional amount you can expect so that excuse doesn't fly." Well, as you've said, you're not an experienced/volume Ebay buyer/seller, but you're wrong on this one...[/QUOTE]

No I'm not. (sorry...that's all I could come up with on that one)

[QUOTE]but that's the joy of these little tit-for-tats [/QUOTE]

I'll make a deal with you....you don't talk about my little tits and I won't mention your little dick. :cool:

[QUOTE]Regardless of what magnanimous you or magnanimous buyer want to do, [/QUOTE]

Hey...no need to get personal! :mad:
    Ummm....BTW, what's magnanimous? :confused:

[QUOTE]This could go on forever, and as much as I like a good spat, I don't think either one of us will convince the other of his position.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't know about you but I'm off all week! :D
    Last edited by dragon1952; 12-28-2004 at 07:23 PM.

Ahh, the love... :D

[QUOTE]Not free....reasonable. (you put words in people's mouths)[/quote]

Guilty. I should have edited that one.

[quote]I'll make a deal with you....you don't talk about my little tits and I won't mention your little dick. :cool:[/quote]

S'funny. Your wife liked it well enough. :D :D

BTW, the reason that you see disclaimers that the buyer must pay PayPal fees all over Audiogon, is that policing that and connecting an Audiogon userID to a PayPal account would be nightmarish, if not virtually impossible. Since Ebay owns PayPal, it's easier for them to "tighten things down" over on the Bay.

I think the idea of offering PayPal as an option after the fact via email *if* the buyer is willing to pay the fees (or split the fees) is a good one (since it's not in the Ebay listing it's not flagrantly violating rules). The only problem is that there is a large percentage of the Ebay readership, myself included, that if the auction does not show PayPal as an accepted payment method, will simply ignore the auction and move on. Once that PayPal logo appears in your auction, whether you put it there manually, or it's automatically included, you dare not try to bypass the fees or you risk being shut down...

Member Sales Rating: (40)

I see the flipside to it, that it is a cost of doing business, and one has a choice to either accept paypal, or not - that simple.

Some good points have been made, and yes I can remember waiting on money orders, checks etc, it does make it a LOT easier to do business.

I just wish it was a 'scale', like Ebay listing fee's, not a straight % of the total. On grunt items, it doesn't even phase me, but on the big ones, well - it certainly gets my attention.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Nice summation and good place to end. Nuff said I do believe....time for a brewski! ;)

Thread Information