Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Rotel RB-991 200wpc stereo amp opinions?

Anybody have one of these? Would this be a considerable improvement over my Sony STR-DA2ES receiver? What would be a fair price to pay for it used in decent condition with a couple scratches?

Forgot to mention I will be driving RTi6 speaks with this if I get it.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I have an RB-990BX which is basically the same amp, just different face/body. I think you'll be very happy with it, and yes I believe it will be a good upgrade from your receiver. In my opinion a seperate amp is always a step in the right direction. I'm a bit partial to Rotel also.

$350-$450 is a fair price to pay.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I also think you will find improvement in the use of a seperate amplifier, and that's a nice choice. I'm an ES fan, but when you start talking seperates, your moving into another bracket.

Let us know what you end up buying and how it sounds. I think you'll get some tighter bass control and a warmer midrange, especially on voices.

Thanks guys. I will let you know if I get it. I have made an offer - lets hope there is no sellers remorse.

So I got the unit.

So far I cannot tell much of a difference between this and my receiver with the RTi6 fronts at normal listening levels. When I crank up the volume to very high levels (which I never listen to), the Rotel does much better. There is absolutely no distortion at higher levels.

I had imagined that the higher damping factor of the amp would mean better performance even at lower levels. So far that has not realized. Should I be doing anything special with settings? Right now I have the receiver doing a straight passthrough (analog direct), so it is bypassing all the processing.

Also, how do you guys turn on/off this thing remotely? I do not want to have to walk up to the unit to hit the power switch. Or do you just leave it on all the time?

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I'm a bit partial to Rotel also
    I am 2. I love Rotel. There products over the years have been Great.

Good luck with the amp it's a good one.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Is anybody reading what I said above?

So far, I'm underwhelmed with any differences at normal listening levels.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

No disrespect in what you are trying to do, but most that have had noticeable differences in using seperates were using large towers or LSi 4 ohm models that were zapping the power from their receivers. Your 6s aren't capable of over taxing your receivers amps since they don't have a large array of drivers to produce bass.

You may simply be a case of already having a nicely balanced setup for your room.

Let me know if you need a buyer if you find the need need to sell the Rotel, I've got SDAs on the way and could use the power.

Cheers,

DG
    HT
    Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen
    Anthem MRX 300 Receiver
    Pioneer Elite DV45A
    Polk CS350LS
    Polk SDA1C
    Polk FX300
    Polk RT55
    Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz
    ICs-DIY Twisted Prs
    Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel
    Ariston RD40 w/ Grado Cart
    SACD/CD Marantz 8260
    Soundstream/Krell DAC1
    Audio Mirror PP1
    Odyssey Stratos
    ADS L-1230
    ICs-DIY Twisted
    Speaker-Raymond Cable

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Hmmmmmm....in a lot of cases it depends on how carefully you are listening as many of the differences are subtle.

What I would do is take just a few pieces of music that are well recorded and that you know well, sit down with no distractions and listen to them with your receiver first, making note of things that you hear. Then repeat with the amp.

If you do that and still don't notice any differences, then maybe the amp isn't for you.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

What type of music are you listening to?

What type of interconnects are you using?

I leave my amp on. Try leaving yours on, it doesn't consume much power and it's less taxing in the long run if you don't turn it off and on all the time.

Also, no need to wait for it to warm up.

I noticed a difference when I added my amp to a pair of R40s, so I suspect that Anonymouse should hear a fairly noticable difference.
    Last edited by phuz; 03-08-2005 at 01:52 AM.

Originally posted by phuz
    What type of music are you listening to?

What type of interconnects are you using?

I leave my amp on. Try leaving yours on, it doesn't consume much power and it's less taxing in the long run if you don't turn it off and on all the time.

Also, no need to wait for it to warm up.

I noticed a difference when I added my amp to a pair of R40s, so I suspect that Anonymouse should hear a fairly noticable difference.
    Varied, mostly soft rock, jazz and some classical

Sad to say, I am using Monster - not their entry level stuff

Hmm... I feel nervous about leaving a high powered device on all the time.

Right now, I have the amp sitting in a closet - till I find the time to tweak with it. May consider selling it if I do not have to take a loss.

It's not sad that you are using monster. Their buiness practices aside, the make good cable.

Troy made some good points, and I'd have to agree. I still really think you should at least hear a good improvement in overall dynamics and detail, but this might not be something that you notice until higher volume levels.

I think a lot of us answered from the perspective of considering future upgrades as well. Some of the more noticable differences should come later on as you upgrade. Adding a different reciever or a pre-amp, cables, sources, etc.

If upgrading is in your future, I'd hold on to the amp. If not, or if you just aren't happy with it you can sell it. It shouldn't be hard to sell. I may even be interested. PM me if your considering it.

Oh yeah, power. Do you have a deticated circuit for your audio equipment? Or any type of power filtering system?

I had issues with the power in my apartment when I first got my amp. Volume levels were inconsistant. For example, when my washer would go click into the spin cycle the volume would drop a hair and sometimes the sound would even fizzle a little.

I picked up a Panamax unit and it fixed those issues right up.

You can kill two birds with one stone:

Get a power conditioner that has a 12 volt trigger- when you turn on your Sony, it'll turn on the switched outlets on the conditioner.

Anyhow, with 8 ohm speakers and low listening volumes, it's a little harder to the differences, especially if you can't flip back and forth between them. Run the rotel for a week or two, then go back to the sony. It'll sound like your ears are stuffy- not bad, just a little less distinct for a lack of better word.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Dennis hit the nail on the head. Seperate power amps usually show alot more control in the bass department, if you don't have speakers capable of "displaying" this change, you won't notice much difference. You should notice a cleaner overall sound, especially in the high frequencies. Bookshelf speakers are very forgiving in my experience, and this is probably why you're not dazzled by improvements with the new Rotel.

Damping factor has little to do with low-level articulation; if anything, an improved damping factor would be more noticeable at high volumes, where bass notes can tend to "hang" too long.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Thread Information