Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Unhappy Hiss / hum after adding new receiver. Help?

First let me thank everyone for their input on this board. I appreciate the info that is shared on this forum. Now for my dilemma. Last night i hooked up a factory refurbished Harmon avr 525 that i had won on ebay. Unfortunately I immediately heard a hiss/ hum coming from all speakers. I never had this problem with my Onkyo 502. To make sure i wasn't crazy, i reconnected the onkyo and the noise was gone. Do you guys think that this is a defect in the harmon receiver or do you think this could be caused by poor speaker wire, ground loop, or something else. Any ideas would be appreciated. I tried to contact harmon, but they are out on the weekend. Thanks in advance for your responses.;)
    I LOVE MY WIFE!!!
    Mitsubishi 65413
    samsung hd931
    pioneer vsx1014
    Rti8's
    csi5 center
    kenwood sub
    rti6 rears

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Try switching the 120 volt plug position in you reciever.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

if it's at about 60htz and doesn't get louder when you turn up the volume, it's ground loop. Otherwise, dump it. I've heard a lot of stories about HK sucking, catching fire & other QC issues. Return it while you can,

Smile

I tried everything i could think of to fix this horrid sound. Finally i gave up and sent the unit back to harman audio. They were really good aboout accepting the return and didn't give me any bs. Guess I should wait til my credit card has been credited before i give them too much credit. I'm really disappointed as many of the guys on this forum enjoy their hk products. I hooked my onkyo back up and it still sounds great. Sometimes it feels like we are looking for the HOLY GRAIL of audio. We just can't be happy with what we have. Thanks for all of the posts.
    I LOVE MY WIFE!!!
    Mitsubishi 65413
    samsung hd931
    pioneer vsx1014
    Rti8's
    csi5 center
    kenwood sub
    rti6 rears

Talking ???

Listen dude Harman Kardon make the best receiver!!sound like that receiver has technical issue,get a brand new one...
    TV :>Panasonic TC-P55VT50
    RECEIVER :> HARMAN KARDON AVR 7300
    FRONT :> L & R :> POLK RTI A9 500 W
    AMP :1> PARASOUND HALO A21 250 W
    AMP :2> EMOTIVA UPA-1 200 W
    CENTER :> POLK CSI A6 200 W
    SURROUND SIDE :>POLK RTi A3 150 W
    SURROUND REAR :>POLK F/XI A6 150 W
    DVD PLAYER(HD) :>TOSHIBA HD X-A2
    DVD PLAYER(BLU-RAY) :>Panasonic DMP-BDT 500
    POWER CONDITIONER :>PANAMAX M5400-EX
    SUBWOOFER :A> SVS PCI12 ULTRA 525 W
    SUBWOOFER :B> Polk PSW125 150 W

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Default Re: ???

Originally posted by Pinktulip7
    Listen dude Harman Kardon make the best receiver!!sound like that receiver has technical issue,get a brand new one...
    H/K makes good stuff no doubt, but it's not the 'best' you can get.

'Best' is defined by a great number of variables, many of which are subjective to who is listening.

I like H/K and own their stuff, but I will say this. H/K has had more QC issues recently than any other manufacturer in that market that I am aware of.

H/K is great stuff, you just gotta find one that works...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Thread Information