I forum member recently purchased a pair of CRS speakers and brought them over to me to see what could be done with their less than stellar condition. Someone had painted over the walnut veneer with black paint from a spray can...ugh! They made a half ass attempt to tape off the front panel resulting in black paint getting on the original pebbled bezel cover....ugh! In addition to that, the grills were filthy and the speakers smelled like they took a bath in pine tree air fresher......big ugh!
I started by gutting them including removing the crossovers and IC sockets, making notes of all connections for later. I also removed the trim pieces at the bottom fronts of the cabinets to make stripping easier. The grills were cleaned twice with Resolve (great product) and came out perfectly clean and odor free. I taped off the front and back panels, then stripped the cabinets. After stripping I found a few nicks/dents/scratches, but hardly enough to justify painting them, maybe that person just wanted black speakers...who knows. I proceeded to repair the damaged areas, reattached the bottom front trim pieces and prepped the cabinets for color. I decided to go with a rich dark walnut dye color and once dry shot a seal coat on them. Next, one coat of lacquer was applied, when dry and lightly scuff sanded a coat of Van Dyke brown glaze was appiled. After a few hours of drying, three more coats of satin lacquer was applied. The next day I rubbed out the finish. Now, I wanted these to look as good as possible and that paint on the front bezel bugged me, so I set out to find some new pebbled material to recover them. No luck finding that stuff anywhere including Polk, so I decided to paint them instead. I used Krylon semi-flat black as it came close to the original sheen. The metal covers over the PR's had a few small dents and a little paint loss, so those were repaired and repainted in satin black to match the original sheen. After another day of dry time I re-assembled the speakers returning them to their former glory.