Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Default Polk Mini-Monitors - OLD school Polk

Just got a pair of Mini-Monitors in. I was born in 72, and I have to wonder which came first, these speakers or me?

1" Peerless (obviously), 4.5" midbass, and 4.5" passive radiator.

Cabs are spotless, couple marks on the bottoms, and 2 screw holes on the rear of each. Grilles/logos intact. Original manual included.

Foam on the drivers is ok. It's not brittle to a light touch, but I've had enough speakers to know that they are on the way out, though they aren't compromised yet.

How many of these were installed in the back of Good Times van's in the 70's? I say that, because I found this snippit under 'Vehicle Placement' in the manual interesting:

"Your speakers must be securely fastened down prior to use in any moving vehicle such as an automobile, boat, airplane, etc. The normal installation will use the optional mounting brackets; in a car, the speakers would normally be mounted horizontally on the rear deck. Alternatively one speaker can be mounted under the dashboard on the passenger side, and the other on the rear deck. In some cars, such as station wagons and hatchbacks, a possible location is vertically on the rear doorposts. In vans, the speakers can also be mounted hanging horizontally from the roof. Try to keep direct, intense sunlight off the speaker if possible. The quick disconnect plugs and mounting brackets permit easy removal of the speakers from you vehicle into your home for use as main or remote speaker, rear channel speakers, etc."

Kind of neat, if you ask me. Especially considering how 'big' the Polk name is to Car Audio these days.

Cheers,
    Russ

And yes, I will do high-res scans of the manual, and share them for all to enjoy.

Bruce, shoot me an email, I lost your phone number - I want to get the Madisound info I need on these.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by RuSsMaN; 02-10-2005 at 10:46 PM.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Awesome score Russ.... !

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Cute little buggers you got there bro. Would love to get my listen on with a pair. Where they a thrift find?
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"

Ebay, and they didn't go as cheap as I had hoped. I paid twice as much for these, as I did for the 7a's with stands that I gave to Troy.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Very high "Cool Factor."
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Yeah, back in those days, it was very common to run home speakers in your car for a little better/extra sound. Funny how they notate that in the manual. Good stuff.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Those are purty.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

THOSE ARE SO DAMN CUTE!!!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

take a picture of them next to your SDA's. waaaaaaaa!

They weren't kidding when they named it 'mini'.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Attached Images  

LOL

those are like Barbie sized speakers. Bet Ken would be diggin those. :p

Member Sales Rating: (17)

You kidding me? Those ARE Ken and Barbie's SDA's...
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

Stronzo

Ah, the Spendors in all their glory... nice pic Russ. Great gear in that photo...

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I'm thinking that they would go nicely in a computer setup. I didn't even know that pr's came that small. Nice find russ.

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Looks like the mini PR is covered in dingus juice.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hi Russman, I would love to buy a pair of those vintage Mini Monitors today. I had them installed in my Chevy Van back in 1976 and they sounded fantastic.....powered by a 1975 Cadillac (AC/Delco) stereo AM/FM/Cassette at 30 watts per channel. The Mini Polks did the job in sweet clarity. Let me know if/when you see a pair (or several pair) of Mini's show up for sale. I have at least three rooms I would like to set them up in. They are a nice narrow design with the classic Polk sound. Thanks for the pictures, guys.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by banjoboy View Post
    Hi Russman, I would love to buy a pair of those vintage Mini Monitors today. I had them installed in my Chevy Van back in 1976 and they sounded fantastic.....powered by a 1975 Cadillac (AC/Delco) stereo AM/FM/Cassette at 30 watts per channel. The Mini Polks did the job in sweet clarity. Let me know if/when you see a pair (or several pair) of Mini's show up for sale. I have at least three rooms I would like to set them up in. They are a nice narrow design with the classic Polk sound. Thanks for the pictures, guys.
    9 year old thread. Good luck with that....
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Not to mention, Russ isn't around any longer.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Not to mention, Russ isn't around any longer.
    He pops in from time to time...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Thread Information