Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default filtered & unfiltered?

I have harman/kardon 630 it has PreOut for Sub. I don't know which one I should connect to on the subwoofer input. Filtered or Unfiltered? I have PSW505.

other question is, what do you normally put the setting for Low Pass on Subwoofer?

In the manual of sub, it says that I must turn OFF the subwoofer in the receiver. Should I turn Off?

I have RTi10 front speaker, CSi5 center, & RC85i ceiling.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Use "Unfiltered"(LFE) input on the sub and connect an RCA cable to the sub out on the receiver. On the receiver set sub to ON, and crossover at 80Hz.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

BTW- in that set up PolkThug gave, the low pass on the subwoofer box won't do anything... you'll adjust the crossover point using your Harmon Kardon.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I have other receiver for my sister. it's Sony STR DB930. I can't find info if the receiver is unfiltered or filtered. Which input should I use on subwoofer psw505?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Filtered just means that the subwoofer will be using it's own crossover, regardless of the settings on the receiver. If you use filtered, you can use the crossover dial on the sub to select where you want to cut off the frequencies on the high end (read: whatever you set the crossover knob to, the sub will play all the frequencies BELOW that).

Filtered is good if you're sending a FULL RANGE signal to the sub (i.e. connecting the sub directly to the stereo audio output on a DVD player). The sub will keep the low frequencies for itself and give all the higher frequencies to the other speakers in the system.

If you're hooking up the sub to the SUB output on the receiver, the receiver is already selecting where the crossover point is going to be. Here you'll use unfiltered. If you DID put it on filtered, turning down the crossover knob on the sub will cut off all the frequencies above that crossover point, giving you a gap in frequency response. This second frequency filtration is redundant because you're already doing this on the receiver.

Make sense?:)
    HT Setup:
    Pioneer VSX-D912K
    Polk CSi30 Center
    RM6005 Satellites (Fronts/Surrounds/Rear Center)
    Nameless 10" Sub

Thread Information