Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

Smile Multi subs setup for a 5.1 HT system

Not that I even remotely considering this, but this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=506575

introduced an interesting concept. Rather than buying a massive (one) sub, how about several of small subs to complement your speakers? cost-wise, it might be a wash, and the benefit of eliminating null spots is real.

Any thoughts?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

you gotta watch out for standing waves and wave cancellation when doing that. The only multi-sub I've seen really work is a stacked approach.

You could probably make it work, but it would be difficult at best...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (0)

The only problem is adding more subs does not give deeper bass, it only makes 3dB louder

Member Sales Rating: (0)

There are some white papers here describing the benefits of multiple locations.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

At one time I had three cheap subs. It was great, but forget about it for music. Start with two good subs like Hsu or SVS.

If I had the money, I'd have at least three huge subs.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I run an SVS 20-39 PC+ in the front left corner, and an SVS PB-10 in the back right corner. I'm in an apt, so they are both turned down pretty low. The bass presence is really nice, and you can not tell where it is coming from. It just fills the room. As soon as I unplug the PB-10 in the back, the bass doesn't surround you as well and I can focus in on where the front sub is. Probably totally un-necessary, but I like it:D
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I echo the same thoughts as dkg999,i added a B&W 675 to the right rear to supliment the pb2+ in the left front and made a world of difference.It really filled in the bass that seemed to localized with just the svs.

Polkatese,

Check out my thread:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/...threadid=26043

Check out the last pic. The bass is no longer localized and very seemless. Read my thoughts in the thread. I love it!

Greg
    suds, suds and more suds!

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

Lookin' great, Greg! So, it looks like something worth experimenting and you are diggin your new setup. Btw, I'll pm you on the cable as we talk about last time, I will do some tweaking and auditioning the new one this weekend.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Originally posted by polkatese
    Lookin' great, Greg! So, it looks like something worth experimenting and you are diggin your new setup. Btw, I'll pm you on the cable as we talk about last time, I will do some tweaking and auditioning the new one this weekend.
    Cool on the cables Francesco.

I'm really limited to room space for sub placement and the two subs up front really worked out wonderfully. I think I will stick with the FX's for the rear.

By the way, had I a long enough sub cable I was thinking of putting one of the subs behind the loveseat which is the main listening area...just out of curiosity. But they sound so good right where they are the heck with it.

Oh and good luck with the cables.

Greg
    suds, suds and more suds!

Thread Information