Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Default Possible relocate to Richmond or Norfolk Va

I am considering a new job offer that will require me to move to Richmond or Norfolk. Anyone familiar with either of these areas?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

It might help if you told us what you're looking for in a locale. Other than that, I know enough about Richmond that I would not recommend moving there. I believe Zero can fill you in on Norfolk.

An old Norfolk HS cheer,

We don't drink
    We don't smoke
    Nor fu*k
    Nor fu*k
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Nor fu*k
    Nor fu*k

WTF?

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Richmond is one nasty ass place. Lot of depressed areas with not much in the way of hope for the future.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Re: Possible relocate to Richmond or Norfolk Va

Originally posted by simm
    I am considering a new job offer that will require me to move to Richmond or Norfolk. Anyone familiar with either of these areas?
    Your considering a position because it fits with your expectations I hope. If its for money forget it regardless of the location. If the job is where you think you can grow then the location does not matter.

twin
    Last edited by HBombToo; 02-20-2005 at 08:49 PM.
    ***WAREMTAE***

Member Sales Rating: (11)

why don't you take a three day weekend to each city and explore. talk to the locals.. find out what's up in those cities then decide. I said three day.. that way you can find out what traffic problems they may have like on a Friday or a Monday during rush hour. these things are important to me. if i were to consider a move.

if you have kids. find out how the schools do.. not all states and school districts are good. some better than others. how about if you're looking for a house. are prices affordable or overpriced?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Simm,

Many excellent suggestions have already been made. I would go where the best opportunity exists, and if possible, tour the cities beforehand.

I am familiar with both cities, though I couldn't tell you squat about navigating through them. Here is the skinny;

Richmond has been and still is a run-down and ragged looking city. The atmosphere can be best described as bleak. However, a new city council has established itself and they are doing wonders for the city. There are now plenty of decent and comfortable places to live, and it is starting to clean its act up. A carry and conceal permit is becoming less of a necessity.

The cost of living is reasonable (I guess this depends on where you are coming from). Property is a tad pricey though

Outside of the direct city limits, you can find some pretty decent neighbors to move yourself into. Plenty of good schools, be it private or college. I hear the regular public schools arenít too bad.

A benefit of living in Richmond is that you are living in one of the center hubs for VA. Hmm come to think of it, that may NOT be a benefitÖ unless your job requires you to travel, or you just have an urge to.

All in all, I canít stand Richmond. It is literally one of the last places on planet earth (that Iíve been to thus far) that Iíd like to be. In all fairness, I changed my stance after going to Petersburg a few times, which makes Richmond look like Paradise.

Now on to Norfolk:

If I could characterize Norfolk (properly pronounced NO-F*K ), it would be: Busy and Crowded. The southern part of VA is growing faster then what the roads and neighborhoods can accommodate. Traffic is a pain in the ass, which is why I avoid the area completely, at least until necessary.

Norfolk kinda runs together with adjacent cities, Cheseapeake and Virginia Beach. In fact, I believe this area has more people per square mile in a general area than anywhere else in the country. Donít quote me there, but Iím nearly certain that is the case.

Cost of living is decent, and since you already have a job lined up Ė you wont have to worry about overcoming un-employment issues. Norfolks schools are modest at best and donít provide the quality the Richmond area does. Like Richmond, some areaís I wouldnít step foot into, while others are incredibly nice. You donít find much of a middle ground in that area.

Ok, so Iím a bit bias and condescending. I donít like any of those places at all. Its like choosing between a kick in the balls or a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Which do you fancy?

Simm,

Well with recommendations like that I would reconsider the whole thing.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Thanks...lot's of responses so far. What I am looking for is an area that is a decent place to live for a year or two. I have kids in school- elementry and soon to be middle school. I won't be in either one of these places more than 2 years and certainly don' t have to live in either one of these cities just within a 30 minute commute or so. I have family in Elizabeth City NC (about 45-50 min commute to the Norfolk area) so that is a possibility as well if I want to stretch the commute although Elizabeth City is not where I would prefer to live.

I was laid off 2 weeks ago and fortunately already have 2 offers. One is where I currently live but significantly less than I made before with little growth potential. The other offer is more in my line of work, the money is better though not where I was, benefits are better, overall career growth is much better than the other offer and even better than where I was before but I have to move and the cost of this first move will be on me.

decisions, decisions.......

Looks like you have to do what you need to do. Visit both then go with your heart, thats all I can say.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Member Sales Rating: (11)

sorry you got laid off. what line of work are you in? just curious is all.

good luck to you.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

I was operations manager for a major trucking company.

Stronzo

Simm,

My apologies if my post is a big downer. I usually take the approach of preparing for the absolute worst and hoping for the better.

So which place will put the cost of moving on your shoulders?

You are close to Norfolk - and its only about an hour and a half/40 to Richmond from there. Do you think you will have a chance to visit and cruise around the area for the day?

Zero- no apologies needed. I am leaning towards taking the lower paying job here. I had a good idea this was coming for the last 4-6 months so have cut down on the expenses and reduced debt so financially I am in good shape. I got 4 months severance/insurance so I don't have to take either job but psychologically I need to go back to work as soon as possible. Other than the fact that I am not currently employed (although that is a big fact) I have no regrets. The last 18-24 months at my old company were hell on earth so it was a relief to go. They let approx 50% of the front line supervisory/management employees go. Those who are left are pulling 12-14 hr days and even more miserable than they were before.

I have been to Norfolk several times so I know about the traffic issues. It was schools and quaility of life thing that I was unsure of. I am definitely ruling out the Richmond area based off of comments here as had already heard many negative things about it.

By the way, what part of Va are you from Zero?

by the way ot looks like one benefit to being unemployed is that I have gone from being a Polkie to a Polkster :D

Stronzo

Simm,

I would look into Norfolk a bit more. I am unfamiliar with your area so I couldnt do any compare and contrasting. Norfolk really is a hit or miss, both in quality of life and schooling. My experience was less than thrilling - yours may differ. In the end, its worth investigating.

Find a neighborhood that tickles your fancy, and dont be afraid to ask people about what they think. Most are more than happy to give a brief synopsis of the area.

I am in Newport News, VA. When the family first moved here, it was nearly all country. Now its car dealerships as far as the eye can see. It is located on the lower penninsula - about an hour from Richmond and 30 mins from Norfolk.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Originally posted by simm
    I was operations manager for a major trucking company.
    Dude, Im a truck driver and I would think you would have myriad opportunites out there as theyre about a billion trucking companies out there right now.

Right here in Chattanooga, we've got Covenant and US Xpress which are 2 of the biggest in the counrty.

Chin up old boy. I think youve got an excellent chance of finding work. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

Thread Information