Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Default Just received the Teac amp!

http://www.homeaudiosuperstore.com/teac_al700p.html

I've only spent a few hours with it but I have to say it is everything Zero said it was. It is much like the Sonic Impact T-amp in that it distorts differently than other types of SS amps. It may not have as wide of a soundstage as the SI amp. Certainly at 30 wpc it has a lot more force than the SI. This has to be about the cheapest intro into audiophiledom there is... Actually, if you have eff speakers I would recommend the SI but if not the Teac has enough power for less eff speakers.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

What do you have the little TEAC hooked up to? Congrats on the purchase. Just wait till she breaks in...! :)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

$85 for that chip amp? Tell me more about that little SOB! How does it compare to your tube stuff.

Maurice
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Smile Re: Just received the Teac amp!

Quit playing with new toys and get those crossovers modded!!
    • Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • PS Audio GCP-200 preamp w/external PS
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Wadia 301 CD transport - Schiit Gungnir DAC
    • MIT Shotgun S1 IC's and speaker cables
    • PS Audio P3 Power Plant
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Damn... I need to get that to drive those new speakers that *might* be on their way to me by the end of the month...
    Ludicrous gibs!

I have to spend more time before I can make a judgement. Also it hasn't broken in yet. I'll post a short review after everything gets sorted out. I'll tell you what, for $85 it's a no brainer. One of these, a modded 3960 and a set of SDA-SRS and you are at 90% in the audio food chain. I don't think it will be better than the tubes but with it's lack of SS type distortion it surpasses a lot of SS amps. When the distortion kicks in it kicks in hard and sounds like you have a blown speaker. Not at all like what I'm used to. Most distortion comes in slowly from a lower volume.
    madmax

Stronzo

Max,

Do you still have that passive scott nixon pre?

I look forward to hearing your impressions and comparisons if possible. I have put this thing against some very nice gear with favorable results.

Clipping her already? Damn man, you love to abuse the gear dont ya! After you become used to the sound, remove the center channel board and tell me if you notice a difference..

Cheers,

Sean

Do you need a preamp with this thing or is there a volume control on it?
    Looks like something I could use in the bedroom... Thanks for testing the water!
    Yamaha RX-V1500 // Outlaw Audio M200 (x2) Panasonic TH-52PZ700U
    Sony DVP-NS715P // Sony Playstation3 // Roku Soundbridge M1000[/color]
    Polk LSi15 (w/Monster Z2 Wire) // Polk LSiC // Polk LSi7 // Velodyne DLS-3500

Workshop Rig: Creek 4330 // Technics SL-P310 // Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble 2

Stronzo

Rob,

The inputs are variable, you will not require a pre amp with this piece.

Yea, I still have it. Right now though I put the amp in after the AI M3a preamp and feed my sda's.

Awesome! Can't wait to read the review.

Maurice
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Stronzo

Any updates?

Actually I just unhooked it a few days ago and reconnected my Jolida 502.

First of all let me say this amp "AS-IS from the factory" far surpasses anything I can imagine for the price. It is not as clean as the Sonic Impact amp but has much greater power capabilities.

As stated previously I like the sound of the amp because it does not have the SS distortion I hate so much these days. After listening for quite some time I noticed the type of distortion it does have. Kind of a dry static sort of distortion. Going back to the tubes was somewhat a relief.

Now, if it did not have this sound it would be a reall killer amp. My guess is that the switching supply may not be the greatest. I noticed while looking around inside it has two 18V supply lines. I guess I'll start probing around for noise and see what I can come up with.

madmax

Stronzo

Max,

Thanks for the update.

I agree that the power supply on this amplifier is a major weakness. The fact so much is achieved from a switching supply no less… is rather humbling.

I also agree with its inherent distortion. The sound becomes dry with some static. Strangely enough, I’ve found compression of the dynamics to be minimal, even when pressed at its viable limits. This seems to be the case with all chip based amplifiers.

I haven’t had experience with big beefy tube amps like your stingrays. With all the cheap tubes I have heard – it is simply one disappointment after another, save for maybe the Jolida JD-100 cd player. I am dancing on the idea of purchasing a Prima Luna – Pro Logue. Definitely a lot to consider..

Originally posted by Zero
    I am dancing on the idea of purchasing a Prima Luna – Pro Logue. Definitely a lot to consider..
    That is cool. Since the Pro Logue was reviewed in stereophile I have also been intrigued.

For just over a grand you should pull the trigger.

Let us know.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***

Thanks for the update, Madmax. When you were talking about the dry/static distortion, you only get this when the amp is pushed right? So at lower levels it sounds super clean?

Tax return is coming and I'd love to give the Teac a spin. How do you think it will power the LSi9? I like lower levels late at night but listen a little loud during the day.

Sean,
    Since you owned the NAD C370, how does the Teac sound compared to the NAD? I'm asking this because I'm currently using a NAD C270 to power my LSi9 and the amp section are similar on the two units. 120w/ch right? If I can get better sound from my LSi than what I have now, I'm going to **** my pants.

Maurice

It's worth a try but I wonder if the LSi9's need more power than the Teac has. When the "out of power" type of distortion sets in it goes all in. There is however a dynamic type distortion which is always there. It takes a while to notice though. Don't get me wrong, it is much less irritating than the standard SS type. Still, tubes have a cleaner more pure sound.
    madmax

Stronzo

Maurice,

The C370 is still one of my favorite NAD pieces. There is just something about its look and sound that has always impressed me.

Naturally, the NAD will have a smoother, albiet less accurate sonic nature to it. Your amp will have the capabilities to "rock out" with dynamic head-room to spare. You have a decent sized room, so I hesitate to say that the TEAC could do the same. Honestly, you would be making a lateral move. The one thing you should gain a noticable improvement of is "prat". The rest should be neglegable.

The Lsi is a speaker that just performs better as you move up the electronics chain (provided its solid state). The LSi on the Marsh / MF equipment was nothing short of stunning. I am no too bashful in admitting that I had thoughts of keeping that combo as a reference rig.

Max,

Man, just how loud do you listen bud? The little teac amp certainly wont take things to live concert levels, but its handled my 7's and 15's flawlessly.

Funny you should mention dynamic distortion. I hear it in tubes much more often, half the reason why I do not own a tube amp. How bout' you send me your amps and "skool" me. :) (hey, I tried). hehehe

I listen as loud as 90db at my seating area when the music calls for it. Sometimes I want a little more but the tubes just won't give any more with the SDA's. Well, they will but the sound quality goes out the door. I've noticed that around 93db seems just right for a "live" performance feel and I'm always a little short of that. Oh well, the neighbors are happy about it.

By dynamic distortion I meant it is continually changing with the music. Not anything you can put your finger on and say "there is the sound" because it is always changing.

Hey, if the damn things didn't weigh 60 lbs each I would let you try them. :) Either I have been lucky with the tubes or you have been unlucky.

madmax

I assume you got the pre OK?

Stronzo

Max,

Pretty safe listening levels there, sufficient enough to rock out. Not sure if your neighbors appreciate it on those rare cool days when you have the doors to the house open. ;)

Got the pre just fine bud ! Already been sent off to Scott for the mod. Thanks again man !

Thanks for the replies guys. So I think I'll stick to my NAD for now. But when it's time for me to start a small rig somewhere, I will try the TEAC.

Maurice

Thread Information