Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Amp bridging how-to

I am using an H/K Citation Sixteen amp to power 2 subwoofers and i was wondering if anyone out there knows how to bridge it. On the H/K website it states that the amp is bridgeable but I have not found any documentation on the wiring. Does anyone have this amp or can explain it to me?
    HT: Yamaha HTR-5660, Front-RTi38, Center-CSi40, Rear-RT15i, Rear Center-RT15i, Subs-2x Polk DX12 in custom enclosures, Sub Amp-Harman/Kardon Citation Sixteen
    PC: H/K AVR 65, some DIY bookshelves
    The truck: Pioneer premier head, MTX amps, XM radio, 2 pair 6.5" DX Components, 1 DB 12" sub (the old one)

Member Sales Rating: (55)

If there is no obvious switch on the back panel, or mention of it in the owners manny, you may require a bridging kit. This kit, if required is probably only available from H-K. Some amps are like that, notably the bomb-proof Hafler DH-500.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I think that's one that you have to do internally- there's a technical manual on ebay right now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

but $20 is a bit steep for a reprint... Odds are it's a big-ass jumper that you have to move over if you're feeling like taking a risk :)

That said you probably do not want to bridge it if you have 2 subs. Bridging only makes sense if you have one speaker ONLY. Right now you've got, say 150 watts going into two 8 ohm speakers= 300 watts total. bridge it, and wire them in series. You'll have 300 watts going into 16ohms... and you're right back where you started, plus if you forget and hook up a 4 ohm load, you'll bake your amp.

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Yup.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Give it a shot, alot of times the circuit cards are clearly marked for the proper jumper positions...

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Technically this particular amp is stable to 1 ohm loads, but i was planning on using it on only one subwoofer (2 is too much for my apt). The subwoofer is 4 ohms, however. I opened her up a few weeks ago and could not find any clear labels for bridging, but there are a few pins adjacent to the current connections that are unused. I may need to take out the circuit boards and try to follow the traces. Thanks for all the advice so far.
    HT: Yamaha HTR-5660, Front-RTi38, Center-CSi40, Rear-RT15i, Rear Center-RT15i, Subs-2x Polk DX12 in custom enclosures, Sub Amp-Harman/Kardon Citation Sixteen
    PC: H/K AVR 65, some DIY bookshelves
    The truck: Pioneer premier head, MTX amps, XM radio, 2 pair 6.5" DX Components, 1 DB 12" sub (the old one)

Member Sales Rating: (7)

You can also go to This Page and they will tell you how to do it. (providing there is not alot of difference between a Citation II and Citation 16) :)

Have fun,

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

I have an original owners manual that tells and shows you how to bridge the amp.

Thread Information