Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    This thread is for audio gear guts, not nuts. Would you mind removing that please?

Reported.
    It's not a NAD.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

While I had it out I took the top off and 1980's Technics Stereo Integrated Amplifier SU-V75 that I use to power my whole house sound system.

I thought the heat sink and associated part and pieces were interesting. I have never seen anything like it. But then again i have not looked at many amps with the lid off.

Here she is Nekkid, and a little dusty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Guts 007.jpg‎
Views:	361
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	22755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Guts 001.jpg‎
Views:	478
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	22756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Guts 003.jpg‎
Views:	343
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	22757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Guts 002.jpg‎
Views:	308
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	22758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Guts 004.jpg‎
Views:	290
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	22759  

I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Since I am opening everything up in sight that is not hooked up. Here is the guts of my SS Amplified Music Products Series 260 bass amp that I used to power an Ampeg SVT-810 bass cabinet back when I was a Rock Star, or at least I thought I was.

I bought this because I could not afford the real Ampeg Tube Amp that was supposed to power the SVT-810.

Name:	Amp Guts 011.jpg‎
Views:	271
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	22760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Guts 010.jpg‎
Views:	311
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	22761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Guts 009.jpg‎
Views:	276
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	22762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Guts 012.jpg‎
Views:	279
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	22763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Guts 014.jpg‎
Views:	229
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	22764  

I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Member Sales Rating: (20)

my jolida before I start the Mods..

Bwahahahaaaaa
    Attached Images  
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself)
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The Rotel RB-980BX

I have wanted to hear a different brand for awhile and finally the opportunity presented itself courtesy of Bear. I'm happy with the overall sound and it runs cool. It's heavy to one side and the caps are 10,000 uF
    Attached Images  
    Life gets more interesting the more we play.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

My NAD T163 pre/pro. This is after I opened it to replace some OpAmps.

Michael
    Last edited by McLoki; 10-25-2007 at 09:20 PM.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

This is what mine looks like. To big and heavy to take apart.Attachment 23101

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Man, this is one fascinating thread..........
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's

Member Sales Rating: (12)

An InnerSound ESL 300 MK II amp. It is rated at 300WPC @ 8 Ohms/600WPC @ 4 Ohms for conventional speakers, or capable of delivering 1,720 volt–amps into the capacitive load an electrostatic panel presents. It shares a similar design to Halo’s InnerSound bass amp with active crossover shown in post 311, and the Coda Continum amp I mentioned in post 347.

I asked Roger Sanders about his design, and he replied that he worked with Coda’s first class engineers to help design and build InnerSound products. The original ESL amp is a modified version of Coda’s Continum amp. Roger had them increase the output transistor count to make them more suitable for driving an ESL. He added a modest amount of properly-designed feedback for low distortion without compromising the sound and lowered the bias so it runs cool and efficient. The face plate and back panel were redesigned, and he upgraded to WBT binding posts and better quality RCA connectors. He also added a speaker protection fuse.

I’ve only got one right now and I am using it on the panels. I have a Marchand active crossover so I bypassed the simple crossover in my original XA200 (200WPC @ 4 Ohms) crossover bass amp (Normanality’s post # 83) and am just using the amp portion to drive the woofers.

EDIT:
    Add Sanders Sound Systems ESL amp. It has a much larger transformer that is potted in epoxy and completely encapsulated in a steel shield. It has a thicker top plate made of machined and anodized aluminum, and a thicker steel bottom plate to handle the added weight. It is more powerful at 360 watts RMS per channel into an 8 ohm load or 2000 volt-amps per channel into an ESL. Momentary output into a 2 ohm load exceeds 1000 watts. I have this amp on the woofers and the InnerSound ESL amp on the panels.

Name:	eslamp_1.jpg‎
Views:	242
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	23104   Click image for larger version

Name:	eslamp_2.jpg‎
Views:	283
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	23105   Click image for larger version

Name:	eslamp_3.jpg‎
Views:	468
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	23106   Click image for larger version

Name:	eslamp_4.jpg‎
Views:	386
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	23107   Click image for larger version

Name:	sseslamp_1.jpg‎
Views:	240
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	23434  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sseslamp_2.jpg‎
Views:	250
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	23435   Click image for larger version

Name:	sseslamp_3.jpg‎
Views:	346
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	23436  
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 03-15-2007 at 08:04 AM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Default Parasound HCA-2200II

Well, finally got around to doing the usual internal checks/adjustements on my new big Parasound. Took a few shots while it was apart.
    This is the amp that started to make a name for Parasound, and its widely known that its the Father of the Halo A-21.

The inside is kinda busy, but when you look close, its not overly complicated. There's just a lot of everything, build overkill. You can't see the output section because its attached to the heatsinks and beneath the boards. A shame, because its got 12 sankens per channel (6 matching pair). This is a true dual mono design that shares only a power cord. Twin torroids are stacked on top of each other. 4 big 25000uf caps buried underneath the separate power supply boards for each channel.

Name:	HCA2200ii 005.jpg‎
Views:	378
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	23109   Click image for larger version

Name:	HCA2200ii 004.jpg‎
Views:	578
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	23110   Click image for larger version

Name:	HCA2200ii 002.jpg‎
Views:	420
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	23111   Click image for larger version

Name:	HCA2200ii 008.jpg‎
Views:	348
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	23112  
    Last edited by billbillw; 10-23-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw
    Well, finally got around to doing the usual internal checks/adjustements on my new big Parasound. Took a few shots while it was apart.
    This is the amp that started to make a name for Parasound, and its widely known that its the Father of the Halo A-21.

The inside is kinda busy, but when you look close, its not overly complicated. There's just a lot of everything, build overkill. You can't see the output section because its attached to the heatsinks and beneath the boards. A shame, because its got 12 sankens per channel (6 matching pair). This is a true dual mono design that shares only a power cord. Twin torroids are stacked on top of each other. 4 big 25000uf caps buried underneath the separate power supply boards for each channel.
    Ballsy lookin' !!!!

Thumbs up Ass & Guts of a Parasound HCA-2200

Y'all,

Here's the insides of my Parasound HCA-2200.

Notice the massive stacked torodial trannies and dual sets of caps.

Everything else seems pretty bread & butter, just on a bigger scale. :D

Anyone know where I can get some nice metal binding post nuts to replace the crappy plastic ones that are breaking? I'm gonna post this question in another thread since this one is way looooong.

ETA: Seems like the MkII has almost double the little white, ceramic looking things that are part of the output sections. That and the switches for un/balanced seem to be the only non-cosmetic differences that my untrained eye can see. ***BTW, my 2200 is SDA-safe.***

Wes

Name:	DSC01449sml.JPG‎
Views:	326
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	23144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01450sml.JPG‎
Views:	528
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	23145   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01451sml.JPG‎
Views:	640
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	23146  
    Last edited by I-SIG; 03-03-2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Bill postsed his yesterday!
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

Wes,
    That's pretty cool to see the two amps side by side (well almost). I can see subtle differences on the input board and the power supply boards are bigger. Those white ceramic things are resistors (wrong, actually film caps) and I have no idea why there are so many (part of the power filtering). These amps are more similar than they are different, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by I-SIG
    Y'all,

Anyone know where I can get some nice metal binding post nuts to replace the crappy plastic ones that are breaking? I'm gonna post this question in another thread since this one is way looooong.

ETA: Seems like the MkII has almost double the little white, ceramic looking things that are part of the output sections. That and the switches for un/balanced seem to be the only non-cosmetic differences that my untrained eye can see. ***BTW, my 2200 is SDA-safe.***

Wes
    Last edited by billbillw; 03-11-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Wes,
    That's pretty cool to see the two amps side by side (well almost). I can see subtle differences on the input board and the power supply boards are bigger. Those white ceramic things are resistors and I have no idea why there are so many. These amps are more similar than they are different, that's for sure.
    Definitely lots of similarities.

I suppose John Curl just smoothed out the edges of an otherwise very good design to make a great one.

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

Member Sales Rating: (4)

:D Here is my little amp that has 150 wpc driving a pair of rt400 vintage polks!!:D

Name:	amp guts.jpg‎
Views:	475
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	23276   Click image for larger version

Name:	dce1_12.jpg‎
Views:	335
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	23277   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0235.JPG‎
Views:	272
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	23278  
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Correct, the Mark II in relation to any HCA series from Parasound indicates John Curl work. That was when he started working/consulting for Parasound.

GV#27

Those white ceramic things are resistors and I have no idea why there are so many.
    They are the emitter resistors for the output transistors.Each output transistor will have one.

Quote Originally Posted by GV#27
    They are the emitter resistors for the output transistors.Each output transistor will have one.
    Not exactly. The emitter resistors are located on each output board. They are grey striped resistors, not the big white ceramics. The emitters can be seen in my closeup of the transformer. On my 2200ii, the big white ceramics are all attached to the power supply boards. I haven't taken the time to look at the schemetic and figure out their purpose yet.

EDIT: I was wrong about the white ceramic things. I looked at the schematic and then again at my pictures. Those are not resistors at all, they are film caps. All part of the power filtering.
    Last edited by billbillw; 03-11-2007 at 09:36 PM.

GV#27

Not exactly. The emitter resistors are located on each output board. They are grey striped resistors, not the big white ceramics. The emitters can be seen in my closeup of the transformer. On my 2200ii, the big white ceramics are all attached to the power supply boards. I haven't taken the time to look at the schemetic and figure out their purpose yet.
    OOOPS my bad, I was looking at louthewiz amp pic and mistaked it for the parasound.His uses ceramics for the emitter res.
    The ones connected to the filter caps in yours are probably to help discharge the caps after turn off or are used in combo with a small cap to shunt hi frequency noise.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by I-SIG
    Y'all,

Wes
    Wow Wes those pics exude power!!!

I looked back on the schematic for my HCA-2200ii. Those big white "ceramic" looking things in I-SIG's and my amp are film caps, not resistors. That's what happens when you just don't look close at something.

Quote Originally Posted by PolknPepsi
    Man, this is one fascinating thread..........

I concur!

Parasound HCA-1000 pics coming tonight!

Wes

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by I-SIG View Post
    Parasound HCA-1000 pics coming tonight!

Wes
    I can't wait in that I never opened mine up.

Default Parasound HCA-1000A innerds

Y'all,

Here's the happy snaps of the interior and ass of the Parasound HCA-1000A. It's like a mini-single transformer 2200, kinda.

Wes

Name:	DSC01469.JPG‎
Views:	392
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	24064   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01470.JPG‎
Views:	392
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	24065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01472.JPG‎
Views:	376
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	24066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01477.JPG‎
Views:	251
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	24067   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01480.JPG‎
Views:	227
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	24068  

Banned

Y'all,

Here's the happy snaps of the interior and ass of the Parasound HCA-1000A. It's like a mini-single transformer 2200, kinda.

Wes
    Gee what a coincidence, mine looks just like that except for the S/N.

Y'all,

Wes
    Actually looks just like the inside of an HCA-1500a, but smaller everything. The layout is almost exactly the same.

See Gator's post here:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...&postcount=257

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    Actually looks just like the inside of an HCA-1500a, but smaller everything. The layout is almost exactly the same.

See Gator's post here:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...&postcount=257
    Well now that I've seen that I want that one instead!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default A couple of Threshold pieces

Beefy Class A amplification that I don't own .

Pics 1 & 2 Threshold 400A stereo amps
    Pics 3 Threshold One Mono amp.

Name:	Threshold 400A_001.jpg‎
Views:	485
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	24093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Threshold 400A_002.jpg‎
Views:	449
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Threshold Stasis One-mono.jpg‎
Views:	465
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	24095  
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Found this shot of a VSX49TXi Elite online. Pretty decent innards really...
    Attached Images  

Thread Information