Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner
    Passive radiators are just passive...............they are acting as a tuned port. They have no voice coil or magnet to power and simply move in and out from the pressure of the mid woofers. Pull one out of the cabinet and you will be surprised how simple they are. It is just a basket, a plywood board and woofer surround.

The bottom binding posts are mid woofer posts.
    Thanks Dennis.:)

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared
    Very cool. One day I would like to tri amp my 1.2 TLs. I am currently going to biamp them but I just haven't decided what amp I want to use on the high freq. I also asked a question is the threads about using a crossover between my pre and amp. I got mixed opinions. Please let me know how you make out with yours.
    I was finally able to try the new active crossover on the weekend and I will say that it is big improvement over the passive one it replaces.

If you wanted to add an active crossover between preamp and amp you would need to remove the passive one built into the speaker.But there is a good chance the change will not be for the better.There are several factors that are involved in doing this that must be considered if it is to be an improvement.If done correctly some big improvements can be expected.
    Last edited by GV#27; 11-13-2006 at 08:07 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GV#27
    I was finally able to try the new active crossover on the weekend and I will say that it is big improvement over the passive one it replaces.

If you wanted to add an active crossover between preamp and amp you would need to remove the passive one built into the speaker.But there is a good chance the change will not be for the better.There are several factors that are involved in doing this that must be considered if it is to be an improvement.If done correctly some big improvements can be expected.
    I'm glad to hear you were able to improve your system DIY STYLE!!!.

I, however, am confused, how is an active crossover between my Spectral preamp and my two Adcom mono blocks seen by the 1.2 TL's passive crossover?

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared
    I'm glad to hear you were able to improve your system DIY STYLE!!!.

I, however, am confused, how is an active crossover between my Spectral preamp and my two Adcom mono blocks seen by the 1.2 TL's passive crossover?
    Thanks.

Thought that this article would be able to explain it better than I could.
    Hope this is helpful.
    http://sound.westhost.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm

Banned

Thanks.

Thought that this article would be able to explain it better than I could.
    Hope this is helpful.
    http://sound.westhost.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm
    Wow I already read that about a month ago. Come to think of it I think you turned me onto the site.

I better read it again.:o

GV#27

Yes it is a bit technical but informative.

Basically you use either a passive or an active crossover but not both.The speaker with a passive network should get a full range signal from the amp so that it can do its job of dividing the bass from the treble.
    Then it routes the bass to the woofers and the treble to the tweeters.If you put an active unit between the preamp and amp it does the frequency dividing before it gets to the amp and speaker.If a passive network is still in the speaker than you will get some unpredictable frequency response errors.
    Last edited by GV#27; 11-13-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Banned

Yes it is a bit technical but informative.

Basically you use either a passive or an active crossover but not both.The speaker with a passive network should get a full range signal from the amp so that it can do its job of dividing the bass from the treble.
    Then it routes the bass to the woofers and the treble to the tweeters.If you put an active unit between the preamp and amp it does the frequency dividing before it gets to the amp and speaker.If a passive network is still in the speaker than you will get some unpredictable frequency response errors.
    Gottcha, I do remember reading about that, I just printed the article again to peruse before bed tonight.

Thanks for all the information.
    Joe:) :)

GV#27

You are very welcome Joe.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Ain't seen any guts in a while.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Well, hasn't been much on the slab lately at Casa Hardy, but I did clean the pots on a couple of little Sherwoods Sunday.

Two pictures of an early/mid 1970's S-7200 receiver. The SS Sherwoods are considered "sleepers" in some circles: demand and price is low, sound quality is good. The FM tuners were especially good. Sherwood built top quality tuners for many, many years, starting as "Radio Craftsmen" in the early 1950's (or even before?).

The other photo is a later (ca. 1980??) Sherwood S-702 CP ("certified performance") integrated amp. These were apparently made in Korea by Inkel (according to AK member "Nakdoc").
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherwood S7200 tf.jpg‎
Views:	209
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	21017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherwood S-7200 f.jpg‎
Views:	196
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	21018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherwood S-702CP tf.jpg‎
Views:	375
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	21019  
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (2)

For comparison, and FWIW, here is a very old Radio Craftsmen AM/FM tuner. I thought I'd posted this semi-nude in this thread already, but danged if I can find it...

all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Marchand XM44 active crossover for my Innersound Eros MKII speakers. The first design Innersound bass amp/active crossover only had one knob to control bass/mids. The XM44 has seperate low and high controls for my bass amp and panel amp, with a 5dB mids boost control in the 5Hz to 2KHz range allowing me unlimited, picky bastage flexibility.

Name:	xm44_front.jpg‎
Views:	157
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	21021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mxm44_innards.jpg‎
Views:	217
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	21022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mxm44_innards2.jpg‎
Views:	196
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	21023  
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 11-28-2006 at 02:19 PM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (39)

I'll be stealing my gf's or 'rents digital camera to post some pics, hopefully of my HK 635, both B&K late 80's gear, and maybe even one of my carver tfm-6cb (love those little guys, so damn versatile).

All this green I drop on audio gear, and I can't drop $250 on a camera. . . just seems silly.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Good stuff!:)

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer
    Marchand XM44 active crossover for my Innersound Eros MKII speakers. The first design Innersound bass amp/active crossover only had one knob to control bass/mids. The XM44 has seperate low and high controls for my bass amp and panel amp, with a 5dB mids boost control in the 5Hz to 2KHz range allowing me unlimited, picky bastage flexibility.
    I like that xm44.Nice neat layout on the PC boards and by the look of it ,it uses stepped attenuators for level control instead of pots which is a nice touch.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

CJ PV-7 Tube Pre-Amp....look at that MINT faceplate and guess what year it was manufactured? 1987.

Name:	CJ PV-7_Inside.jpg‎
Views:	271
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	21115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conrad Johnson PV-7.jpg‎
Views:	248
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	21116  
    Last edited by dorokusai; 12-01-2006 at 10:29 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Mark,
    very nice piece !

does she sound as good as she looks ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    CJ PV-7 Tube Pre-Amp....look at that MINT faceplate and guess what year it was manufactured? 1987.
    No matter how old or out of style CJ gear is always beautiful.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Guts of Marsh A200S...

BTW -- what are those 4 little circular thingys on each side of the chassis?

Name:	IMG_0063.JPG‎
Views:	309
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	21134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG‎
Views:	282
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	21135  
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    Guts of Marsh A200S...

They look like the output transistors, but I don't see the reasoning for having them lay flat without a surface against those huge heatsinks. The heatsinks look like they are serving no purpose in those photos to me. I'm sure I'm missing something.

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    Guts of Marsh A200S...

Very nice amplifier Early,those circle thingies are the output transistors.

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner
    The heatsinks look like they are serving no purpose in those photos to me. I'm sure I'm missing something.
    They are mounted to a metal L bracket which is screwed to the heat sink.You can see white thermal grease around the edges of the L bracket where it attaches to the heat sink which helps heat transfer.
    Last edited by GV#27; 12-02-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Early,

They are mosfets. Cool amplifier.. one of the better sounding class A/B amp's I've heard for the price (at least, when ran direct). I hope she sings for you!

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Early,

They are mosfets.
    Actually those are bi-polar transistors.Marsh uses fets elsewhere in the gain stages but bipolars for the outputs.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Bipolars can look like Mosfets when they are in a "can" (the metal encasing). Not all bipolars come in a "can". It just depends on who/how they are manufactured.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (19)

...Cool amplifier.. one of the better sounding class A/B amp's I've heard for the price (at least, when ran direct). I hope she sings for you!
    Sounds great so far. Still waiting on my tube pre to arrive. Then we'll see how the Marsh with tube pre stacks up against the Jolida tube int. amp.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9
    Bipolars can look like Mosfets when they are in a "can" (the metal encasing). Not all bipolars come in a "can". It just depends on who/how they are manufactured.
    Yes correct I have seen Mosfets and bipolars in TO3 metal can's and both in the now more popular TO3P plastic case.Marsh does use bipolars for his outputs though.

Marsh does use bipolars for his outputs though.
    Agreed
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

GV and H9,

Thanks for the correction boys.

Early,

I look forward to reading your impressions.

Early,

I look forward to reading your impressions.
    Yes, impressions once you have had a chance to break her in.

Thread Information