Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by reeltrouble1 View Post
    I kind of like the Ayre mono-blocks, I really do not have any big mono or stereo sand amps at the moment, the Wolcott's can drive the SL just fine as they are noted as the amp for SL but always can make room for a big ole man sand amp.

I used a big man amp by BAT with my Amazings, still kinda regret selling that amp.

RT1
    Why Ayre? The Wolcotts are great amp but when compared to sand, they don't stand a chance. After all, Tubes are Made from Sand!

I have both the Platinum and Mark IV and tried with several sand amps and they are up for the task. But No Tubes.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    Why Ayre?
    I have'nt had the oppurtunity to hear any of their model's but I understand Mr Hansen to be a very skilled designer responsible for some very good sounding products.

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Basically Ayre is another noted SL amplifier, dare I say some say better than my Wolcott's, but you need the powerful big blocks, which are not cheap, so I wait until Richie Rich who has them now wants something new and unloads them. They can handle the low impedances I need, also, the SL need amps with caps that can quickly recharge and have excellent damping for a very fast speaker, so amps with many smaller caps tend to work well. The Wolcotts work because of the adjustable damping.

Sorry no pics beyond website stuff and that is not suitable for this thread.

carry on. as said enough text.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

GV#27

Default Modded Pioneer CD/SACD/DVD player

The stock cheap op amp for the left and right analog stage was removed and replaced by a far superior Burr Brown OPA2604.The 2604 is then buffered by a pair of discrete pure Class A directly coupled op amps. New dedicated voltage regulators were also added and these are fed from an external(the black box) heavily filtered and pre regulated DC power supply.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	u1.jpg‎
Views:	244
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	40873   Click image for larger version

Name:	u2.jpg‎
Views:	195
Size:	500.5 KB
ID:	40874   Click image for larger version

Name:	u4.jpg‎
Views:	193
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	40875   Click image for larger version

Name:	u3.jpg‎
Views:	243
Size:	513.7 KB
ID:	40876  

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Nice. I need to mod my Denon SACD player sometime down the road. I still haven't even cracked it open yet. The Pre you suggested for my friend should be here shortly. We have the PS built for it already, and we just need to mod the board a little for the clean external PS. I start another thread for that later.
    Again nice work Fred.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    The Pre you suggested for my friend should be here shortly.
    Might you mean DAC?
    nice work Fred.
    Thanks Ben

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Still a work in progress...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Neat craftsmanship, Face! What's with the tube like copper rods? Resistors are placed inside them? Or just the copper shielding to reduce noise?

Thanks, those are Duelund resistors.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Marantz SA-11S1
    Attached Images  
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Dan, It's a very beautiful CDP! I always wanted one to try out! I know Ricardo is very happy with it.

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    those are Duelund resistors.
    Are they metal oxides,metal films or something else?

It's a graphite rod with silver leads. They're also VERY delicate! There's no coloration like standard Mills resistors. They have the transparency of Mundorf's MOX resistors without any sheen.

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    It's a graphite rod with silver leads. They're also VERY delicate! There's no coloration like standard Mills resistors. They have the transparency of Mundorf's MOX resistors without any sheen.
    Interesting I have not seen these before.
    btw.nice work on the xover.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

from the shallow end of the hifi gene pool... a Scott R31S (Asian-made) low end, low power receiver that passed through here from the dump for a while. Decent tuner in it, tho'.
    Attached Images  
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (15)

What is this "dump" that you speak of? You seem to be pulling some mildly nifty stuff from there. I want in!
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    What is this "dump" that you speak of? You seem to be pulling some mildly nifty stuff from there. I want in!
    No kiddin'! I've often wondered where all of those "oldies but goodies" come from there....

It is a proud old New England tradition... the "take it or leave it" pile, also known as the "Yankee swap" pile. Many smaller New England towns (even relatively civilized ones) still have town dumps, although most are now "transfer stations" where one may leave one's garbage and recycle ones... umm... recyclables. We don't have curbside trash pickup.

Many transfer stations/dumps still have swap piles, too (though more and more do not, to the consternation of those towns' citizens). The New England town dump is also the traditional center for exchanging town information/gossip, and a prime stop on the local campaign trail.

Yankees, you see, are terrifically parsimonious "make it last, use it up, [something, something] or do without"! The swap pile is like Boxing Day for the almost used up stuff; every Wednesday morning and most of Saturday, in our town's case.

The dump tradition is one of the better things about living in New England! :-)
    all the best,
    mrh

Default Pair of Threshold SA/12e on eBay With Guts!

Here is Threshold SA/12e Monoblocs pairs I found on eBay. It is not mine and the picture belongs to the seller / owner.

I've included the Original eBay Link if you wanted to see it for yourself. I have no affiliation to the seller / owner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Threshold-Stasis...lenotsupported

Last edited by megasat16; 03-05-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    It is a proud old New England tradition... the "take it or leave it" pile, also known as the "Yankee swap" pile. Many smaller New England towns (even relatively civilized ones) still have town dumps, although most are now "transfer stations" where one may leave one's garbage and recycle ones... umm... recyclables. We don't have curbside trash pickup.

Many transfer stations/dumps still have swap piles, too (though more and more do not, to the consternation of those towns' citizens). The New England town dump is also the traditional center for exchanging town information/gossip, and a prime stop on the local campaign trail.

Yankees, you see, are terrifically parsimonious "make it last, use it up, [something, something] or do without"! The swap pile is like Boxing Day for the almost used up stuff; every Wednesday morning and most of Saturday, in our town's case.

The dump tradition is one of the better things about living in New England! :-)
    In all the time I have been here, " parsimonious " has to be the BIGGEST word that I have seen used. Nice one, Mark!

And, thanks one more time for passing several of these wonderful finds to me..

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMuell View Post
    In all the time I have been here, " parsimonious " has to be the BIGGEST word that I have seen used. Nice one, Mark!

And, thanks one more time for passing several of these wonderful finds to me..
    ... now here you'll be giving folks the impression that I am all eleemosynary and stuff...
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Studying for the National Spelling be are we? Almost no one has over a 50K vocabulary in any case, and most Americans 'far' less than that--probably about 10-15K if they are 'lucky'. And many lucky slobs...hardly more the 5K? We have a wonderful educational system for that!

And, of course, very very few of them are fluent in a second language, let alone more. But hey, this is not a day to diss ourselves! Reading is where one builds vocabulary...and ipods, media, the internet, youtube, etc. Don't do that.

Kudos to you mhardy!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 07-04-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Bumpity bump...:)

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Arrow Denon POA-1500 Power Amp

Cleaning up this old junker, replacing bulbs, and our own Nik is pimping the side panels in you guessed it...shiny black.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Conradicles; 03-25-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

She's a beauty!!! How old & can many horses is she pushing.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Quote Originally Posted by GV#27 View Post
    The stock cheap op amp for the left and right analog stage was removed and replaced by a far superior Burr Brown OPA2604.The 2604 is then buffered by a pair of discrete pure Class A directly coupled op amps. New dedicated voltage regulators were also added and these are fed from an external(the black box) heavily filtered and pre regulated DC power supply.
    Which model Pio is this?

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by mmadden28 View Post
    Which model Pio is this?
    DV563 http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...%2Fscad+player

My new Jungson JA-88D Class A intergated. All 35kgs of it. This is the new 2009 version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8182.JPG‎
Views:	305
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	41975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8185.JPG‎
Views:	339
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	41976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8181.JPG‎
Views:	251
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	41977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8152.JPG‎
Views:	276
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	41978   Click image for larger version

Name:	980_0.jpg‎
Views:	262
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	41979  

2 Channel
    Amp - Jas Audio Bravo 3.2 set
    Power Cord - Tunami GPX
    CDP - Marantz cd6002 - Audio gd Ref 5 Dac
    Speakers - Tekton Lore,Polk Audio RTA11tl completely refreshed.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Belles 20a with Auricaps
    Attached Images  
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Thread Information