Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (4)

That's pretty cool passive there, Jake! I really like the way StereoKnights gets their passive done. Good POT, good wire and nice case. I always wanted to try their Magnetic Passive Pre one day.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

They do make great products with great designs.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Work in progress.

Drivers are ScanSpeak Air Circ 6620, Accuton C79, and SEAS W22NY. Crossover topology is still TBD. I'd like to give Duelund slopes(transient perfect) a try, but don't believe I'll have enough room inside for all the parts required, so I'll probably use LR 2nd order or something similar to Joseph Audio's infinite slope.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Wow! 3stacks of x 3/4" Birch Ply for the front baffle. :D Where's the ass(embly), dude?

It's empty now. :D

May be you woke up and thinking this is the DIY thread. :p
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

My brand new Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi universal disc player that I will be using exclusively for CD playback:
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Drivers are ScanSpeak Air Circ 6620, Accuton C79, and SEAS W22NY. Crossover topology is still TBD. I'd like to give Duelund slopes(transient perfect) a try, but don't believe I'll have enough room inside for all the parts required, so I'll probably use LR 2nd order or something similar to Joseph Audio's infinite slope.
    That is my favorite dome tweeter, and I've heard nothing but good things about Accuton drivers. I can't wait to see how this project turns out.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

My new sub amp.400 watts of Hypex Class D powered by Hypex's 600watt switching supply.This will be replacing a toasted ICEmodule.
    Attached Images  

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Looking good... efficiency would be even higher with the wires hooked up, rather than using the Tesla method :-)
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    .. efficiency would be even higher with the wires hooked up....
    I think your probably right,but I'm concerned that by hooking up the switching supply the induced EMI levels will comprimise the low noise performance.:D

you simply need a Flux Capacitor.
    all the best,
    mrh

What the flux?Where do I find one of those?

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Default Wright WPA 50-50

My new to me Wright WPA 50-50
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg‎
Views:	155
Size:	509.1 KB
ID:	52206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg‎
Views:	171
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	52207  
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post
    My brand new Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi universal disc player that I will be using exclusively for CD playback:
    I see similarities to my new Elite PD-D9 SACD player. I will be posting some photos of that one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    I see similarities to my new Elite PD-D9 SACD player. I will be posting some photos of that one soon.
    Can't wait to see it!

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post
    Can't wait to see it!
    OK, Here is my new Pioneer Elite PD-D9-J SACD player. Impressive build quality for the price.

Before I got this unit, I wasn't sure whether these were gray, or a dull black brushed, but it is actually a gray brushed finish. With reflections, it takes on a silvery look. Top cover is also brushed alu.

Power supply is impressive in layout, design, and parts. Two large filter caps with a nice dampener ring around it. Twin R-core transformers are in a steel box. The whole power supply is separated from the Upsampling/DAC/Analog section by a steel divider.

The analog section is nice and simple. From the output of the twin Wolfson DACs, there is one thru hole op amp (which makes it easy to upgrade!) and some decent coupling caps (that are bypassed with a poly). The DAC/Analog section is loaded with OSCON, Nippon, and Rubycon caps. Nice Copper dividers between the analog section and the noisier digital sections of board.

Overall, I'm very happy with this unit. My only complaint is the lack of track advance buttons on the front face. The remote could be much nicer too, but I'll end up using my harmony.

Sweeet! I definitely see similarities between this and my new Elite -79. It looks like they might share some of the same parts inside. I think you'll love it. I bought mine exclusively for CD playback (I use my Oppo for SACD's since it outputs DSD through HDMI and the Elite doesn't), and it sounds great.
    Last edited by Rick88; 09-29-2010 at 05:00 PM.

My new find for my basement vintage rig,a Yammy CA-800.
    Attached Images  

CA-800's a nice piece. Try it in Class A (just don't throw the "Class A" switch with the amp operating - it doesn't like that).

(I've never looked inside, since I bought this one already rehabilitated)
    all the best,
    mrh

I thought you might be familiar with it Mark,yours looks to be mint.I was given this one just today so have not yet lifted the hood.(The matching tuner will be joining it soon).It sounds better than I expected but I will need to take the Deoxit to the switches and replace the power on indicator(LED or bulb?).Any common issues with this model you are aware of?

Vintage Yamaha and vintage Polk Audio go very well together.

The only issues I know of:

The aforementioned "class A" switch.
    Dirty function switches.
    Dirty "pre/mail" coupling switch.

You may find some CA-800 docs at: http://sportsbil.com/yamaha/
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 10-03-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Thanks for the link,the sm may come in handy.As for the Class A switch it seems to be functioning fine but I will heed your warning.I'm assuming when switched to the A position bias is being increased and rail voltages reduced which I can't think doing on the fly would be good.I do find the variable loudness to actually be a useful feature for low level listening.

I'll be keeping an eye for some vintage monitor series Polks,EPI's or Burhoe acoustics.
    Last edited by FTGV; 10-03-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Nice Looking Vintage Yammy! At 10W rms (20W dynamic) in Class A, you could do well with a small bookshelves of moderate sensitivity in the basement.

I guess the Class A or Normal selection switch can be put in Class A permanently and weld it at that position to avoid any dirty little things inside from shooting smokes. :D

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    I'll be keeping an eye for some vintage monitor series Polks,EPI's or Burhoe acoustics.
    Or you could just build something else...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Or you could just build something else...
    I'm using my RB2/PMC DB1 mini TL clones with it but they aren't exactly vintage.:) For nostalgic reasons I'd like to snag a nice pair of EPI 100's or Burhoe Reds as they were the first real hi fi speakers I was exposed to.

Nothing wrong, of course, with building or buying new but... also nothing wrong with any of the vintage choices he mentioned (IMNSHO, of course) :-)

FWIW, my "new" speakers were made in 1964... well, the cabinets were made two months ago... but the drivers date to 1964.

A pair of ads L-710s would be dandy as well; they're really neutral and nonfatiguing, as well as "surprisingly sensitive".

Just sayin'...

EDIT: Face, them thingies you're working on are looking good, no doubt about that! No pesky cabinet resonances from them, I'll betcha.
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 10-04-2010 at 08:20 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Nothing wrong, of course, with building or buying new but....
    I'm in the process of building a pair as well,but they will have their own dedicated Class D modules.:)

Another vintage find.Marantz 6300 (circa 1976).
    Attached Images  

Here's a vintage Onkyo TX-7000 for ya-

Ludicrous gibs!

Pioneer A-77x

Ludicrous gibs!

My newest acquisition, too bad it's only mono.

Thread Information