What's the best tire size?
    Depends on your:
    -room size and configuration.
    -type of music
    -or movies you're watching
    -your personal tonal preferences
    -how well your ears work
    -whether your neighbors are armed

I have a set of rt1000i's and I've played with them and the psw450 subs to strike a balance
    I find the 1000's sound good to me
    in the 2 o'clock position on the dial
    Although I crank them up further at times when
    the little lady is out shopping.

-luc
    "I'm sure it's better than it sounds."

Mark Twains' response, when asked what he
    thought of Wagners music.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I have had mine in several different room sizes (due to moving). The best results I have found is running them at less than half. I asked this question because I noticed the sub's would distort rather quickly when running them over half.

Volume level on the knob is all relative. Some subs are set so you only have to turn them to 1/2, some need to be higher. Trying to compare it between companies doesn't do any good.

shep

What I have is the RT1000p's. The powered sub in them doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the mid range 6.5 and the tweeter. I don't know if it's the amp or the sub's driver, but that part of the speaker gives up way before the mid and tweeter. I was just wondering if most people had better results running them at less than half, like I have. I haven't spent the time investigating if the 1000i's are different (as in Spec's). Other than this the speaker sounds great.

2ch setup
    mains RT1000p's
    pre B&K PT3 II
    Amp B&K ST2140

HT Setup
    Fronts RT55i's
    Center 400i
    surrounds/rear 300i's
    Rcvr Onkyo TX-DS777

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I also keep my 1000's at half. That works best for me.My other sub's way over power my 1000's so I don't depend on them as much.:)
    PS3 and HD Front Projection, life is good. Too bad Blu-Ray and the PS3 are already obsolete.....

Default 10 o clock

I run my rt1000i's subs at about 10 o'clock. In part this is because I do not trust them to play at anything more than about 12 o'clock because my prev. 1000p's self-destructed at that setting. On the John Williams soundtrack NIXON at the first deep bass hits, the 1000i's seemed to distort at the midway position so I pulled them back. The DTS dvd of THE HAUNTING was clearly a distress situation for them so I started running them at a low position about 10 o clock or slightly less, with the brunt of the bass taken on by my two dedicated subs. I think I still get a pleasing sound but I don't rely on the 1000i subs. My digital receiver is set for all channels run full range with "subwoofer" setting switched to off, so that all channels get a full range signal (really it's to get a better Dolby Digital signal), with the two dedicated subs also getting full range signals from the front L and R pre-outs and high passing them internally (the LFE chanel is distributed to all channels, since the 1000i subs are run low, it's not a danger to them). With dedicated subs it will sound best if they take care of the bass anyway; one has to find the most subjectively pleasing way to integrate them.

So the moral is, I don't trust my rt1000i's to deliver serious bass, but use just enough of the built-in subs to taper into the dedicated subs.
    Last edited by mlware; 03-11-2002 at 03:09 PM.

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the input. I pretty much run them about the 10 O'clock position as well.

Thread Information