Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: HT on steroids

  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    1,410

    Default HT on steroids

    A few nights ago I thought I saw something but I was tired and forgot to bookmark it. The next morning and for a few days afterwards I was beginning to convince myself I had dreamed it all up. Searching my browser's history didn't help either.

    I just stumbled across the web page and now I know I wasn't dreaming. But I may as well have been.

    mysite.verizon.net/res8ycu4/id4.html

    I see he's a forum member, and I stand in awe.
    Nice work!
    Last edited by Polk65; 03-13-2005 at 07:25 AM.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    15,835

    Default

    wow. that doesn't look like Bill Gates. lol

    that dude is one serious HT lover.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Hi Guys,

    Thanks for the kind words, but like you say, I'm no Bill Gates!!

    Larry

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    11,633

    Thumbs up

    Very nice Larry. I am also impressed with your DVD collection.

    Cathy
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Originally posted by cfrizz
    Very nice Larry. I am also impressed with your DVD collection.

    Cathy
    Hi Cathy,

    Thanks very much, but I must say I am surpirsed by your remark. I've never had someone from the fairer sex ever compliment me on my DVD collection. ;)

    Well, soon I get to start the collection all over again when HD-DVD's are released.

    Larry

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    seccond star to the right and strait on to morning
    Posts
    2,795

    Default

    that is nice. how do the old and new speakers blend?
    Gonzo's World
    BenQ 8700+
    115in screen
    PS3,X-Box 360 and Wii
    Sunfire Theater Grand III
    ADCOM GFA-7607
    four avalanch 18 subs 26.12l of displacement
    Crown xti 4000

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Originally posted by goingganzo
    that is nice. how do the old and new speakers blend?
    Hi,

    After taking Raife's excellent advice I've got a perfect match on the front speaker array using SDA CRS+'s to match up with my SDA-1C's.

    As you know matching the front array to the surrounds is much less critical since our hearing is not as acute in the rear.

    On the surround back speakers I asked for advice and received excellent advice from Club members and Matt Polk. Here's the thread: Help Matching Surround Back speakers to SDA-1Cs in Home Theater. And here's Matt's response:

    The SL2000 tweeter was smoother at the top end than both it's predecessors, the SL1000 and KO10DT. The tweeter in the RCi series would be equally smooth when used in a free standing system such as the RTi's but the in-wall application introduces some roughness in the top end which may not be a good match for the SL2000's in the SDA-1c's. The LCi/LSi is inherently smoother and additional care in the grill design and diffraction considerations makes the LCi in-walls much smoother than the RCi's and a better match to the SL2000's.

    -msp
    Needless to say I took Matt's advice and weni with the LC265i and was not disappointed. They really sound great, play with authority and match up well with the vintages SDA's.

    Larry
    Last edited by Larry Chanin; 03-15-2005 at 11:43 AM.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Texas - Moo
    Posts
    2,394

    Default

    Wow, I bet it sounds awesome. It also looks awesome. Very classy, and clean. I love the glass accents and wall lighting.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    11,633

    Default

    You have a nice mix of current action/adventure with some terrific all time classics!

    I'm sorry but I refuse to upgrade my current collection or equipment just for a new but possible to fail format (DVD-A & SACD ring a bell)

    I just don't have that kind of money, or TV.:D


    Originally posted by Larry Chanin
    Hi Cathy,

    Thanks very much, but I must say I am surpirsed by your remark. I've never had someone from the fairer sex ever compliment me on my DVD collection. ;)

    Well, soon I get to start the collection all over again when HD-DVD's are released.

    Larry
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Originally posted by phuz
    Wow, I bet it sounds awesome. It also looks awesome. Very classy, and clean. I love the glass accents and wall lighting.
    Thanks. I don't have a "golden ear", but it sounds pretty good to me. I'll probably try tweaking it some more by constructing some bass traps.

    This may sound wierd, but the first thing that I selected in advance for the theater were the sconces.

    Larry
    Last edited by Larry Chanin; 03-13-2005 at 07:53 PM.

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    2,381

    Default

    Larry that is a well thought out HT room. I bet the babes even like the way you put it together. I toast you and your room.

    My room is similar in some ways. I have SDA 1.2 as my fronts with SDA 2.3 for the rears. I used two SDA 2a for the center channels and wire them in series. I use an old Cambridge sound works sub and slave for the low frequencies.

    I like using a jukebox Sony DVD player that holds 200 DVDs. This saves much space and it is very easy to play any DVD without getting your ass off the chair.

    Great room. Did you watch the super bowl there?

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Originally posted by cfrizz
    You have a nice mix of current action/adventure with some terrific all time classics!

    I'm sorry but I refuse to upgrade my current collection or equipment just for a new but possible to fail format (DVD-A & SACD ring a bell)

    I just don't have that kind of money, or TV.:D
    Hi Cathy,

    Thanks.

    I follow what you're saying. I seriously doubt that I'll attempt to recreate the entire collection. However, the other day after having recently purchased the Star Wars trilogy on DVD, I was going through my old, dusty collection of VHS commercial releases, and I was surprised to realize that I already had a couple of sets of it on tape.

    Likewise I suppose I'll end up having duplicates of certain favorites.

    Larry
    Last edited by Larry Chanin; 03-13-2005 at 07:55 PM.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Originally posted by bikezappa
    Larry that is a well thought out HT room. I bet the babes even like the way you put it together. I toast you and your room.

    My room is similar in some ways. I have SDA 1.2 as my fronts with SDA 2.3 for the rears. I used two SDA 2a for the center channels and wire them in series. I use an old Cambridge sound works sub and slave for the low frequencies.

    I like using a jukebox Sony DVD player that holds 200 DVDs. This saves much space and it is very easy to play any DVD without getting your ass off the chair.

    Great room. Did you watch the super bowl there?
    Hi,

    Thanks.

    Well, so far all of my guests of both genders have said that they like the decorating scheme. While this theater is somewhat sedate, my last theater was a little over the top in a jungle theme.

    Larry's Last Home Theater

    It sounds like you have a very nice setup. For a while I was trying to figure out how to conceal SDA CRS's in the rear, but I couldn't pull it off.

    I would get a juke box DVD player if they had digital video connections. I'm hoping they come out with a reasonably priced high definition media server soon. Right now these gadgets are going for about $30,000.

    No I haven't watched the Super Bowl yet. I've got DIRECTV and they won't permit the Sarasota market to view the FOX HD channel. I haven't run an outside antenna to the theater yet.

    Larry
    Last edited by Larry Chanin; 03-13-2005 at 07:57 PM.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    I cringe every time I watch a movie and see an old classic car used in a crash scene. One less collectible and rare car in existence.

    After reading many threads here on the forum, some joke about others 'hoarding' vintage Polk's. To keep things in perspective, at least some people are enjoying them and the speakers are not road kill or being drowned in vats of armor all in a dusty used audio shop.

    Larry has some great threads on the forum worth reading, go check them out!
    Last edited by Polk65; 03-14-2005 at 08:45 AM.
    Life gets more interesting the more we play.

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Originally posted by Polk65
    I cringe every time I watch a movie and see an old classic car used in a crash scene. One less collectible and rare car in existence.

    After reading many threads here on the forum, some joke about others 'hoarding' vintage Polk's. To keep things in perspective, at least some people are enjoying them and the speakers are not road kill or being drowned in vats of armor all in a dusty used audio shop.

    Larry has some great threads on the forum worth reading, go check them out!
    Thanks Steve,

    Many of my threads are just me extracting useful information from some of those vintage Polk "hoarders". ;)

    Larry

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,849

    Default

    Larry- I also came across your theater in a Google search. I must say, that is one very nice and very expensive setup you have there!!!

    I can only hope that some day, my theater (that so far is just a dream on the horizon) will be even close to what you've got there. How do you like those tactile transducers? Are they really worth the money? Also, do you have dual side-surround subwoofers? You only picture one, and it's not real clear on whether there's a matching one on the other side.
    Ludicrous gibs!

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Originally posted by nadams
    Larry- I also came across your theater in a Google search. I must say, that is one very nice and very expensive setup you have there!!!

    I can only hope that some day, my theater (that so far is just a dream on the horizon) will be even close to what you've got there.
    Hi Noah,

    Thanks very much.

    Well, the theater was a dream to me as well, but it wasn't even on my horizon when I was a teenager. I wouldn't have been able to afford it if I hadn't done most of the work myself. I've never been a do-it-yourselfer so the prospect of designing and building it was a bit daunting at times.


    How do you like those tactile transducers? Are they really worth the money?
    The tactile tranducers are really great, and they are a big hit with my guests. As to the value, that's a personal preference issue. While my tranducers and associated amplifiers cost a few thousand dollars, did you know that there are high-end tranducers that would cost over $35,000 to outfit my theater? So its all relative.

    I would say that if you are starting out on a home theater setup it might be a higher priority to first spend your budgeted money on the basics, good speakers and electronics.

    However, if you live in an apartment sometimes its better to consider buying a tactile transducer before you get a subwoofer. In this way you can get the feeling of action movies without sending a lot of bass energy to your neighbors.

    Also, do you have dual side-surround subwoofers? You only picture one, and it's not real clear on whether there's a matching one on the other side.
    Yes, I have a second side surround subwoofer that is nearly identical. I started out with a Bob Carver Shadow Knight subwoofer. It's an 11" cube with a 500 watt amplifier. It's a very nice and reasonably priced compact subwoofer, and I would have liked to buy an other to match it, but apparently they were discontinued. The subwoofer is identical to the 11" Sunfire Architectural subwoofer also designed by Bob Carver except the Sunfire has a 1250 watt amplifier. Well, the Architectural model was also discontinued and replaced with the Solitaire 10 which is identical to the Architectural except it has automatic equalization. So I ended up getting the Solitaire.

    Larry

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts