Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Funny ebay sales tactic.

I was searching ebay for an auditron for my whole house system and came across this in the picture area.
    [IMG]http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/f7/1c/66_2.JPG[/IMG]
    Here is the answer and questions section.

Q: could you please post a picture of the item being sold?
    Apr-30-05
    A: It looks like all the other turtle beach audiotrons.You asr looking at a passport belonging to John Coletrane

Q: Two things: Why is the picture for this item the picture of someone's passport or something? Secondly, would you be willing to come down to $200 for...more
    Apr-30-05
    A: You are looking at john coletrane's passport because my camera is not functioning at this time it looks like all the other AudioTrons very boring to p...more

:D
    [URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=88760&item=5771080134&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting]Got to give him credit.[/URL]

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Speaking of ebay, I can't figure out why anyone would bid before the last hour or two of the end of the auction. I've done it just being anxious but if no one outbids me in the last few hours of the auction then I'm pretty sure I paid too much.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I don't understand why he'd post that picture. Doesn't make a lick of sense. Fricken retards, I swear.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

Old School

Coltrane was cool...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

a little ebay fyi on why you would bid before the last couple of minutes:
    one of my econ profs here did a study on ebay about sniping in at the end vs bidding early. he would bid on 100 or 150 dvds (same title). some he would snipe in at the end others he would bid near the beginning. he did this for multiple movies to get all of his data. in the end he found no statisical difference between either method for the price paid.
    his reasonin was that if you bid early then the price goes up so fewer people look/are interested in it. if you snipe than you can "steal" it at the last second. whether or not his reasoning is right, there still wasnt any real difference in the price paid. this was for dvds, i would think this same sort of idea could be applied to other things.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Items unless listed in the wrong section or listed by new sellers all sell about the same, with the exception of some that go over the going rate.. Ive tried the bidding early to ward off people trying to bid me up, and at the end... if someone wants it, they will get it at the last 3 seconds... and yes ive waited that long just for fun... It makes it impossible to get caught up in the bidding if you can only make one bid... On broadband it takes a average of 5 seconds to place a bid...:D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC

Member Sales Rating: (7)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tour2ma [/i]
    [B]Coltrane was cool... [/B][/QUOTE]

Agreed. I wonder how much John Coltrane's last passport would really be worth to a collector.
    1. JM Labs Electra 920.1 and CC30; MB Quart Vera Sub; Pioneer SC-57; Squeezebox Touch; Panasonic BDT-500 Blu-Ray; Samsung 52" LCD; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S3 cables
    2. Polk SDA-SRS 2.3TL; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 SE; Classe Model 25; Marantz SA8004; Acoustech PH1P; Squeezebox Touch; Music Hall MMF7; PS Audio P1000; MIT S2 cables
    3. Polk SDA 2A; Parasound Halo JC-2 and A21; Musical Fidelity X-DAC; Squeezebox Touch; PS Audio 4.7; MIT S1 cables

Old School

A few thou, maybe??? I downloaded it for screensaver material, but maybe I'll print up a few dozen copies and test the market... :D

As for sniping... It does have the advantage of not leaving your "proxy" out there for someone to peck at just to see where your bid is. And it is more fun.

aequitas,
    I think your prof's study is flawed, at least I do not think its fidings can be applied across the board. Pick any common, readily available item on ebay, like a certain DVD, and you'll see that the winning amount does cluster around a certain price. And most ebayers will know what that amount is.

Throw a rare item in the mix, like a copy of the same DVD autographed by the entire cast, and all bets are off. If it's worth $500 to me, but $600 to you, you will win it every time no matter who proxy's or snipes. But if one of us is not sure what it is worth, the only way the one who knows can conceal his valuation is to snipe.

Just my semi-random thoughts...
    Last edited by Tour2ma; 05-04-2005 at 05:03 PM.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

tour- good point about the rare item with a not so set value. i also dont know all the details about the profs study since he talked about it in class one day and im sure there was more to it than just that. but i dont think sniping or bidding early matters then either cause you gonna bid what it is worth to you and if it worth more to someone else then they will bid higher anyways, whether they snipe you or they bid early and then you dont bid at all. so it doesnt work persay with the price, but in the end it wont matter with what you do anyways. if someone does chip away at your bid, yeah it sucks to lose another 20 bucks or whatever, but if you win it still means that you are getting for less than what you value the item at. if you lose then it means someone else valued it more than you did and you would have lost whether you bid early or you waited to the end to snipe. because of this, there really is no reason other than preference to bidding style, there really isnt any right or wrong way to bid.

Old School

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by aequitas [/i]
    [B]... there really is no reason other than preference to bidding style, there really isnt any right or wrong way to bid. [/B][/QUOTE] I could not agree more, when the choices are between full proxy and sniping. However, I do get a chuckle when I see a bid list with the top five bids by the same person. Covering the cover bid of their cover bid of their... etc.

Obviously sniping is my preferred way for three main reasons:
    - It eliminates others' competitiveness that can cost me the $20 you mentioned;
    - It eliminates the competitiveness in me; no time to bid a 2nd time, let alone a 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc., since I wait until the auction has 10 seconds or less to go; and
    - It's more fun...

I no longer get the "rush" every time that I once did as the countdown approaches zero, but every once in a while...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Yeah, I think rarer items or more nitch items won't converge to the same price quite the way that a common DVD will. Example- a month or two ago a pair of bryston 7b sst's went up with a BIN of $3500 (about fair market price), $900 opening bid and oops- no reserve. I immediately bid to make the BIN disappear, so now they have to creep up from $900 to about $2700 before I lose interest _AND_ to everyone else who didn't see the initial BIN it looks like a shady to-good-to-be-true auction. Meanwhile I wait around to snipe it at, say, $2000.

Unfortunately, when it was at $1200 with a day left the seller killed the auction because he was obviously about to get screwed... and he relisted with a $2990 starting bid.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

Old School

That's another reason. But I've marked auctions with good, but not great BIN's and no reserve, and watched the final price sail past the original BIN.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

I'll try to make this short. I personally see no value in bidding early except to run the price up. To me it's similar to what I've been seeing at the car auctions recently here in texas. One new guy in particular will begin bidding on the cars when the auctioneer asks for a starting bid of $3000 for example instead of waiting until the auctioneer lowers the starting bid to maybe $2500 or even $2000 when no one bids at the starting price. Many times he will get the car for $3000 but he might have got the car for $2500 if he hadn't jumped in so soon. It's similar but not exactly the same on ebay.

Take this item for example [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5771368626[/url] - JBL S312 Studio Series speakers

You can say it was lack of interest but to me someone got a $1000 pair of speakers, current models I think, for $200 because only a couple of ppl bid early and only $50 I think so the person that really wanted them waited until the end of the auction and bid until the reserve was met. I was going to bid but I forgot and wasn't even online.

We could debate this forever but I'm glad we have this forum so I can get this off my chest and I don't have to send a nasty email to anyone on ebay for bidding early. Actually I rarely bid on ebay but I watch alot of auctions out of curiousity.

seccond star to the right and strait on to morning

snipe is the way to go but once in a while it dont work byt
    Gonzo's World
    BenQ 8700+
    115in screen
    PS3,X-Box 360 and Wii
    Sunfire Theater Grand III
    ADCOM GFA-7607
    four avalanch 18 subs 26.12l of displacement
    Crown xti 4000

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by goingganzo [/i]
    [B]snipe is the way to go but once in a while it dont work byt [/B][/QUOTE]

It always works! Unless you underbid.

I would like to see sniping limited to only bidders that have previous bids on the item. Maybe the last 30 minutes. If you want to be in the fray at the end, bid at least once throughout the listing. Or sellers could have the option, to keep out "0" deadbeat snipers in the last few minutes of the auction. This would be an improvement.

Oh yeah, I have been known to snipe on great values. Really pisses some off though.
    Last edited by Dennis Gardner; 05-08-2005 at 01:32 AM.
    HT
    Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen
    Anthem MRX 300 Receiver
    Pioneer Elite DV45A
    Polk CS350LS
    Polk SDA1C
    Polk FX300
    Polk RT55
    Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz
    ICs-DIY Twisted Prs
    Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel
    Ariston RD40 w/ Grado Cart
    SACD/CD Marantz 8260
    Soundstream/Krell DAC1
    Audio Mirror PP1
    Odyssey Stratos
    ADS L-1230
    ICs-DIY Twisted
    Speaker-Raymond Cable

Old School

Here's one that kinda alludes to sniping and (maybe) gets us back on topic all in one fell swoop...

Interesting photo to include in a speaker ad...

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5773049210&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1[/url]
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Thread Information