Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default SL2000 tweeter replacement going bad...

I need some advice from the Polkies here.

I replaced all of the SL2000's in my SDA SRS's a few months ago. All was well until tonight when I redid speaker level calibration and noticed some crackly static from the right speaker when playing the pink noise on Avia. Putting my ear up close to the tweeters one by one revealed that the culprit was the third one down from the top.

I removed it and tested the conenctions by moving them. No change. I replaced the tweeter into the cabinet but didn't screw it down and continued to play the pink noise. Pressing on the plastic plate made the static come and go. Gently pressing on the dome also made the static sound come and go. I removed the tweeter, took the plastic face off and removed the dome to inspect the wires. Each wire end (+ and -) comes from the connector tabs and wraps around the base of the dome. No problems found with visual inspection. I put it all back together and replaced it and now it sounds fine and I can't reproduce the problem.

I'm inclined to replace the thing as I'd hate to keep having to play pink noise every few nights just to check it. I suspect an intermittent connection or break in the wire. Anyone have a similar problem? How does Polk generally handle this as it's a new tweeter? Thanks guys...

Cary

Polk's CS is some of the best.

I would think that the story exactly as you told it with the recent purchase proof would get you a replacement with a return of the defective tweeter.
    HT
    Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen
    Anthem MRX 300 Receiver
    Pioneer Elite DV45A
    Polk CS350LS
    Polk SDA1C
    Polk FX300
    Polk RT55
    Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz
    ICs-DIY Twisted Prs
    Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel
    Ariston RD40 w/ Grado Cart
    SACD/CD Marantz 8260
    Soundstream/Krell DAC1
    Audio Mirror PP1
    Odyssey Stratos
    ADS L-1230
    ICs-DIY Twisted
    Speaker-Raymond Cable

Member Sales Rating: (13)

3rd from the top is the main tweeter and as such is usually to first to go from clipping problems. What are you driving these with and how high do you turn it up?
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm driving them with an Adcom 5802 and I never turn it up loud enough for it to even break into a sweat. :)

What I *did* do, which enters into this, is short out the poly fuses when I upgraded the crossovers. But again, I really don't turn it up that loud. (I've never ever had the poly's cut out the tweeters on me when they were in the circuit so I felt reasonably safe in doing this)

In light of this event though, I will plan on getting the replacement poly's from Polk and put them in the tweeter circuit.

Cary

Member Sales Rating: (6)

When I purchased mine, they told me they had a one year warranty, so getting a replacement shouldn't be a problem.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Seems like you got a lemon tweeter. It happens. Polk will take care of ya.

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Damn! Another part number to remember: RD0194-1L :p

Good luck, Cary! All mine stayed in one piece -- even through a Dee Lite demo during Bruce's visit. I now consider them indestructible.
    • Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • PS Audio GCP-200 preamp w/external PS
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Wadia 301 CD transport - Schiit Gungnir DAC
    • MIT Shotgun S1 IC's and speaker cables
    • PS Audio P3 Power Plant
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Thread Information