Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question Input Sensitivity?

When you have 2 pairs of amplified speakers (MM 455's and 465's powered by JL Audio 300/4) and 1 pair powered by the head unit, how do you adjust the volume levels so the non-amped speakers can be heard? Do I need to turn down the input sensitivity on the JL amp? Is that the same as gain?

If I do this, I'm assuming I would have to do the same with the sub amp until proper balance is achieved.

Thanks for any help!

Polk Customer Service

T-Buz,
    You are doin' it right. The only way to balance the levels between a external amplifier and a high powered head unit is to adjust the input level sensitivity ( AKA "Gain" ).
    The only thing that I would be concerned about is getting all of the speaker phase correct at the listening postion. Do this by playing a CD that you know inside and out and listen to the speaker wired normally, then inverted. Which ever mode provides the best bass response, leave them wire this way. It is common to have to invert one pair of speakers to get the bass performance.

Thanks,
    Kim

Thanks Kim - I think that makes sense...

Just to be sure, you are suggesting that I listen with all speakers in phase, then reverse the phase on just the non-amped speakers to see which gives the best response?

Also, do I have to worry about setting the gain too low?
    Is there any difference in sound quality between turning the gain way up (80% or so) and turning the head-unit volume up to 40 or setting the gain at 40% and cranking the volume to 60?
    Last edited by TBuz; 03-26-2002 at 01:42 AM.

Thread Information