Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Saving private ryan DTS

Just wanted to get some input on wether or not to upgrade to the DTS version. I have the regular dd version now and recently switched out my Jurassic park dd for the DTS & that was a good improvement.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

in a word: YES.

but it's not for late-night viewing.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Upgrade? Do you mean there is a new one or something? Didn't the original have DTS? The one I have, from when it first came out... has DTS.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Originally posted by phuz
    Upgrade? Do you mean there is a new one or something? Didn't the original have DTS? The one I have, from when it first came out... has DTS.
    Me too.... I don't know what Meeks32 is talking about.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.

Polk Engineer

There is a DD only version and a DTS version. Its somewhat hard to find the DTS version now.

Also, the "special edition" of it is DD, not DTS.

My version only has 5.1DD & 2.0. I have the original 1999 release but without the red DTS logo at the top.

Hmmm, guess I got lucky. I got mine from Columbia House DVD club, which I am no longer a member of.

So, dts over dd then?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Originally posted by Meeks32
    So, dts over dd then?
    Absolutely. The DTS track on SPR is one of the best.

To be perfectly honest, I've never noticed a bean of difference between DD & DTS.

Now, given the choice, I always choose DTS. Why, you ask? If I have to explain.....

If you already have a DVD of SPR, it makes no sense to me to "upgrade" to a DTS version. If you could sell the DD version for the same amount as the DTS version costs, then sure, go ahead, but otherwise it is just silly, in my opinion.

I for one notice a HUGE improvement on the DTS version of SPR. May eventually get the DTS version of JP if it is still available.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688

I understand the original DD version has some documentaries and perhaps some commentaries (not sure about that) that the DTS version does not have (something about the DTS soundtrack uses more room on the DVD than the DD soundtrack...or that could be BS). Can anyone verify that? I have the DTS version and the sound is phenomonal.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT

Member Sales Rating: (17)

my copy of SPR is DD only. Looks like I might have to ebay my copy and buy a new one...
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Without a doubt, get the dts version.

Polk Engineer

Originally posted by woodyjacobs
    I understand the original DD version has some documentaries and perhaps some commentaries (not sure about that) that the DTS version does not have (something about the DTS soundtrack uses more room on the DVD than the DD soundtrack...or that could be BS). Can anyone verify that? I have the DTS version and the sound is phenomonal.
    DTS definitely uses a lot more space than DD. It can be about 50%-100% more.

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

I have always want to check out DTS version ever since I bought my DD version. Well, this discussion pushed me over and ordered World War II Collection - SPR - 60 years D-Day version. I supposed, beyond checking out DTS version, the rest of the collection worths to own from its historical perspective (and it makes a great addition, since I enjoy collecting solid WWII epics).
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Originally posted by polkatese
    I have always want to check out DTS version ever since I bought my DD version. Well, this discussion pushed me over and ordered World War II Collection - SPR - 60 years D-Day version. I supposed, beyond checking out DTS version, the rest of the collection worths to own from its historical perspective (and it makes a great addition, since I enjoy collecting solid WWII epics).
    Uhh, I could be wrong, but I don't think that version has dts. I was looking at that disc package, but steered away from it because no dts.

well, according to my research on HTF forum discussions, this is the digipack that has DTS 5.1, BUT no DD 5.1 (only DD 2.0), and confirmed by Amazon description:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

I suppose we'll see if the package arrive. In the event that I get another DD 5.1 version, I'll sell one on FM. I still would have bought the collection, though.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Oh ****, I didn't even know that existed. I'll pull my head out of my ass now. I was thinking of a different one.

You win.

actually, you were right on the other version (2 discs set) that has only DD 5.1 with the ammo-box packaging.

Which is what I was thinking of.

Nonetheless, you will surely enjoy the dts. That I know I am correct on.

The zone 4 version has both dts and dd5.1. Also available is dts plus pro-logic and a version with dd5.1 plus pro-logic.

I haven't watched this movie in years until today. Just got my amp back and was in the mood for a good action/war movie. This fit the bill. Sure I only have the DD version but I'm still very impressed with the sound quality (or is it my amp? :p ). Long but damn good throughout and a bit of a tear jerker at the end... Love this movie! Now I gotta buy the DTS version and sell this one on ebay lol.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

Thread Information