Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eric Clapton

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Default Eric Clapton

Anybody here just totally captivated by Eric Clapton's amazing skills on the guitar (and whatever else he plays), vocals, amazing way of expressing thoughts, and wide range of styles of music? The first I heard of him was when I listened to my dad's CD Eric Clapton Unplugged. I loved (and still do) that CD. I listened to it for weeks on end. And throughout the last few years, I have never tired of coming back to it every now and then.

Slightly more recently I bought Cream of Clapton. For me, this was a totally different side of Eric Clapton. I recognized a few of the songs, but for the most part it was new. I really grew to like this side of him every bit as much as the other, though they're so different.

Now fast forward to about three weeks ago. My friend discovered and then gave me a (bootleg..:D) copy of Clapton Chronicles. This CD is much like Cream of Clapton in styles, but is slightly different. I haven't been able to stop listening to this CD for more than a day or two at a time over the last three or four weeks!

I have decided that I'm a huge Eric Clapton fan, and that I'd love to start collecting some of his better works. (Not that I imagine that he has any 'lesser' works! :p)

So, what are some your opinions on Eric Clapton? His style? The CDs I mentioned? What are some other CDs I (and others in the same boat) should take a listen to? And may even be worth buying? I don't have a SACD player (yet), but are there any good SACDS (or DVD-Audio discs) worth mentioning?

-audiobliss
    Last edited by audiobliss; 07-01-2005 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Also, I meant to ask what all he plays. I forgot, lol. I imagine that he's pretty good with several different instruments. What other instruments are commonly found in his music? Just general comments regarding him and his work would be very interesting and much appreciated!
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Clapton has been around a while, mostly guitar playing. His most recent CD is Me and Mr. Johnson, it's a rendition of Robert Johnson blues. I like it. Any of his stuff is good IMO. All the way from Cream up. I saw him live on the "Cocaine" tour, will never forget it. He did a tribute to Bob Dylan for PBS about 15 years ago that was fantastic. He learned to play guitar by listening to a record player and picking out the tunes. A true great one.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<

To elaborate just a bit.

Tears In Heaven, Running On Faith, Layla are a few of my favorite songs from Eric Clapton Unplugged. Some of the especially 'different' songs that I've recently been introduced to include Pretending, I Get Lost, and It's In the Way That You Use It. My Father's Eyes and Blue Eyes Blue are some of my new favorites that aren't too far removed from the style of Unplugged.

What got me started on thinking about this so much and then starting this thread was I was listening to Clapton Chronicles. I was home alone and so I had it turned up pretty good. I finally got to the last track which is (on my burned copy) River of Tears. This was the first time I had really listened to it. The music is beautiful. I read the lyrics online as I listened to the song, and it was so powerful.

Music really is an amazing thing!
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

He wrote "Tears in Heaven" after his small son was killed by falling out of a window. I don't know how he was able to sing it.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<

Yeah, I had heard that. I think the same thing every time I hear it (that I'm emotionally stable enough to think!). A very moving song. From a very sad time. One of the great deeply touching, thought-provoking songs.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Congrats on discovering one of the greats. IMO, any of his works are worth listening/owning.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (4)

If you like the blues get Claptons "From The Cradle". This is a stellar CD chocked full of classic blues!

Member Sales Rating: (20)

yep, 'From the Cradle' is my favorite of his stuff done in the last decade or so...especially the first track...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Clapton is a truly great artist in every context of the meaning. Great talent that creates and plays great music !

I too bust out the 'unplugged' disc every once in awhile - always enjoyable.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Clapton

audiobliss ,Clapton has a DVD out, a tribute to George Harrison, it's great. Aloha, Warren

Hi,

I just got the Eric Capton Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD. It's an absolutely fantastic two-disc set featuring Eric and a collection of superb guitarists!! Its pretty recent, it was recorded live at the Cotton Bowl, in Dallas Texas and released last year.

audiobliss: Surprise your dad and get him this DVD, you will definitely earn points with him. ;)

Larry

If you like the blues get Claptons "From The Cradle". This is a stellar CD chocked full of classic blues!
    Oooh! We have that! I just know it! Now I hafta find it....

audiobliss ,Clapton has a DVD out, a tribute to George Harrison, it's great. Aloha, Warren
    I'll hafta look into that one. I do actually have a DVD player! :p

Larry
    I was thinking, "That sounds too expensive!" But then, that'd be a great present for Dad sometime; I'd still get to watch it!!

Oh, and I assume thoses DVDs are regular DVDs and not DVD-Audio discs.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Member Sales Rating: (17)

This shows that there's still hope for the younger generations to discover what "real" talent is. I'm very pleased to here that AB has uncovered Clapton. Listen to your father's recommendations, you'll uncover some truly exquisite music from the "glory days" of rock and roll (1965-1975 give or take). I'm not saying that the newer music isn't good, because there are some talented artists out there, just not like it was then. Almost every newer artist was influenced by or flat out copies the likes of Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Stones, The Who, Sabbath, and so on.

Kudos to you for recognizing true talent and not being scared to admit it. Alot of your generation would never publically come out and say what you did for fear that they wouldn't be cool.

Originally posted by audiobliss

Larry
    I was thinking, "That sounds too expensive!" But then, that'd be a great present for Dad sometime; I'd still get to watch it!!

Oh, and I assume thoses DVDs are regular DVDs and not DVD-Audio discs.
    Hi AB,

Yes, it was a little pricey. I paid about $22 at Walmart. It's a regular Video DVD in widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 & 2.0, and DTS 5. 1 sound. The playing time is 210 minutes. I had it playing in my home theater during a birthday celebration. My guests told me that it was just like being there.

Larry

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Forget the 5.1 mixes, get out the old table and find these classics. It might not hurt to check to see if anyone has remastered them, and released them on CD.

Derek and the Dominos, and Blind Faith. Really cool EARLY Clapton.
    Attached Images  
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker, Rich Grech.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by RuSsMaN; 07-02-2005 at 03:18 PM.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Forget the 5.1 mixes, get out the old table and find these classics. It might not hurt to check to see if anyone has remastered them, and released them on CD.

Derek and the Dominos, and Blind Faith. Really cool EARLY Clapton.
    Blind Faith ROCKS. You'll love it. Great classic rock is the only way to go.

It is classic rock, but I really dig the abstract stuff on this one, when they just JAM. I guess that's the Ginger Baker abstract/jazz influence. It's very cool.

Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    It is classic rock, but I really dig the abstract stuff on this one, when they just JAM. I guess that's the Ginger Baker abstract/jazz influence. It's very cool.
    Yes, it is indeed. Gotta love GB, SW, and Clapton on the same stage. One of the first true supergroups.

Last night after supper, all of us (the fam) went out to the bookstore. I'm usually not too fond of the idea, but pass the time avidly reading car magazines. Last night, however, I was really wanting to go to the bookstore - to look at Eric Clapton CDs. I was just so excited about it. When we walked in, I didn't immediately see the music section and asked Mom where it was, she said they don't have music. :(

Oh well. Hopefully I'll get to look for some here pretty soon.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

I pulled out Dad's From the Cradle CD. I really don't like it. I guess I'm just not into blues/jazz.

However, I went to Barnes & Noble Sunday and bought Pilgrim. I've liked quite a few of the songs on that CD. Though, when just playing through the CD, it gets kinda monotonous, because several of the songs have almost exactly the same back beat/rhythm.

Hmm..Blind Faith. I'll have to look for that the next time I go to the bookstore; maybe this Sunday.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

However, I went to Barnes & Noble Sunday and bought Pilgrim. I've liked quite a few of the songs on that CD. Though, when just playing through the CD, it gets kinda monotonous, because several of the songs have almost exactly the same back beat/rhythm.
    If you like the Clapton drum machine dominated synth songs on Pilgrim, try TDF: Retail Therapy. Clapton is disguised as "x-sample." Not my cup of tea, but there's a Clapton for everybody, because he's done hard rock, album rock, soft rock, blues, country, synth, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
    Attached Images  
    SDA 2s; HSU STF-2; Yamaha RX-V1
    SDA-CRSs; Polk PSW-303; Rotel RB-960BX; Rotel RSP-960AX;
    LSi 7s; Infinity PS8; Rotel RB-980BX; Rotel RSP-980
    Mirage Nanosat 5.1; Yamaha RX-V2300
    Monitor 5s, 5 jrs, & 4s

Interesting; I don't think I saw that one at the store. However, I wasn't saying that I liked that as much as I was stating an observation. He did country?! Never would have guessed.

Last edited by audiobliss; 07-14-2005 at 09:16 PM.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Interesting; I don't think I saw that one at the store. He did country?! Never would have guessed.
    EC is an extremely well rounded musician.

Originally posted by ND13
    EC is an extremely well rounded musician.
    You can most definitely say that again. And not only is he well-rounded, from what I've heard (so far), he is extremely talented/dedicated/effortlessly masterful of all the different genres he has tackled.

Absolutely nothing short of an amazing artist.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

You can most definitely say that again. And not only is he well-rounded, from what I've heard (so far), he is extremely talented/dedicated/effortlessly masterful of all the different genres he has tackled.

Absolutely nothing short of an amazing artist.

Nothing short indeed.

Ruler of the gnome universe

Thumbs down time for micah to step in, losers

Ugh, you guys are all over the place. Clapton? Today? He's a limp wrist and you all know it. And really, "Derek & The Dominoes" is awful. Listened to it lately? It doesn't hold up. And most of the lead guitar playing on it -- the stuff that gets your attention -- is Duane Allman anyway!

Look, in seven minutes I'll give you the very best of Eric Clapton. Hunt down the remastered "Wheels Of Fire" CD (that's Cream), and slap on their version of "Crossroads." Then, if that doesn't sizzle your synapses, hunt down his later version of "Further On Up The Road" from his awful live album, "Just One Night." He's already, by that time, crocked up on bad drugs and lost his youthful talent, but that one cut is near as he ever gets to the real evil of the bluesmen he was stealing from when he was younger (I mean, Robert Johnson, et al).

Two cuts, the best of Clapton ever.

Clapton today is case of reputation preceeding actual talent. He's boring. I would encourage you to go back, go back, and find some old blues stuff, a complilation of great blues from the 40s, 50s and 60s, and you will quickly see that Clapton pales, even in relation to the other English guitarists of his ilk, Page and Beck, even. They are just more interesting to listen to.

Better yet, grab up the new remaster of The Allman Brothers' "Live At The Fillmore East," and let Duane Allman and Dickey Betts (and a smoking hot blues band) smother you in evil, devilish blues.

Clapton... Feh.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

Hi Micah,

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.;)

I guess you're not too happy with Eric's remake of Layla? I have to admit everytime I hear the remake I start to wonder.

Nevertheless, not being as critical a listener I still can enjoy Eric and his friends in live concerts.

Larry

Ruler of the gnome universe

Angry be critical!

not being as critical a listener
    Why not be more critical? I mean, why settle for crap? Why not seek out better stuff? Why not look beyond the BS, the media hype, the rep, and find the stuff that really stands up.

How can you not be bored by Clapton? He has been putting Boomers to sleep since that early 70s "Further On..." moment. And people just buy right into it.

There's nothing there, man. It's empty and boring.

And all you really need to do to see this is listen to Cream's "Crossroads." Bingo! Amazing! Superb! All cylinders firing! Evil! What has he done since that comes even close to that? Nothing at all.

I'm telling you, check out The Allman's "Fillmore East" stuff.

Otherwise, you risk being bored to death by crap.

Don't give in, man. Don't give in!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

Thread Information