....this time it's for my friend. Here are the parameters:
1. since no sub will accompany the speakers, they'll need substantial bass extension (45 Hz or less)
2. since they'll be played loudly at times with a 50-watt tube amp, the speakers should have an average sensitivity (88 dB or higher)
3. price range of $500 - $800 new or used
4. gotta have a real wood look to it (oak, cherry, maple, etc.) The speakers are going in the main living room, so there's a WAF issue here.
5. since they will be positioned close to the wall, a front port (or no port at all) would be preferrable.
6. Gotta be "audiophile" quality. In other words, anything from the local Best Buy or Circuit City would probably not qualify.
7. Gotta have a brand name.
8. MTM style is OK
I already recommended the Lsi9, but the speakers are just too damn big!
Any other suggestions?