Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ruler of the gnome universe
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

Angry bob geldof: nobel prize?

Headline: "Bob Geldof nominated for 2006 Nobel Peace Prize"

In the photo that accompanies the news story, he looks like a homeless guy. (I think this guy chased me out of Fells Point yesterday in a motorized wheelchair, shouting, "I jess wanna talk wit choo!")

If he wins this, he can write a book: "How To Parlay A One-Hit Footnote Of A Band Into The Nobel Prize."

Maybe he'll move to frickin Africa and we can stop thinking about him?

What an embarrassment for "rock and roll." Which is dead anyway.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Can someone 'splain to me just what it is that Live Aid and the subsequent fleecings have accomplished?

Made some overpaid schmucks feel a little less guilty about being overpaid schmucks, maybe.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Originally posted by TroyD
    Can someone 'splain to me just what it is that Live Aid and the subsequent fleecings have accomplished?

Made some overpaid schmucks feel a little less guilty about being overpaid schmucks, maybe.

BDT
    You nailed it.

A bunch of bazillionaires that got their money by being lucky and just basically sit around most of the time doing nothing but watching General Hospital and want to feel theyve amounted to something.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

Member Sales Rating: (11)

who else is being nominated?

Bob Geldof, that's an insult to past winners of the Nobel Peace Prize.

the dude only surfaces what every 15 yrs or so for this or that world rock concert to save _______ (fill in the blank cause).

It's cool that's he's doing what he is.. but Nobel Peace Prize nomination. Sheesh, hardly.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

That was pretty much Huey Lewis' response when asked why he didn't perform at Live Aid despite participating on "We Are The World".

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Actually, they got some pretty pricey Gift Baskets for their contribution to these non-money raising concerts.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Default Re: bob geldof: nobel prize?

Originally posted by Micah Cohen
    Maybe he'll move to frickin Africa and we can stop thinking about him?
    If he was American he could move to France and become an ex-patriot pinko communist.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

what has live aid done?

well, it seems it made some corrupt african dictators richer, since they took a lions share of the dough, or should i say, Doh!!!

i'm sure those dictators would be thrilled for Geldoff to get the Nobel Peace prize. on a side note, what the hell is this world coming to.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Default Re: Re: bob geldof: nobel prize?

Originally posted by Mjr7531
    If he was American he could move to France and become an ex-patriot pinko communist.
    Like Johnny " I make $25 million a movie" Depp?

Geldof, peace prize. That'd be joke.

As for Live Aid... man, you guys are cynical.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.

Like Johnny Depp?
    Yep. So now all you sheeple make sure to run right out and see his newest amazing film! Suckers.

Anyway, I realized after I posted this thread that Yasir Arafat actually won a Nobel Prize some years ago. Which sort of nullifies any kind of meaning for this Prize, this "peace prize," doesn't it? So, why not give one to Geldof? It's obviously pretty meaningless. They could give ME one.

I deserve it.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

Yep. So now all you sheeple make sure to run right out and see his newest amazing film! Suckers.

Anyway, I realized after I posted this thread that Yasir Arafat actually won a Nobel Prize some years ago. Which sort of nullifies any kind of meaning for this Prize, this "peace prize," doesn't it? So, why not give one to Geldof? It's obviously pretty meaningless. They could give ME one.

I deserve it.

MC
    I haven't seen a Depp movie since Scissor hands, and don't plan on adding to his bank account(foreign I'm sure) anytime in the foreseeable future. Any red-blooded American "should" feel the same way. Hell, in our not-so distant past, he would have been brought up on treason charges for some of the things he's said.

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

This sucker sure will. Depp is one of the best actors we have right now and Charlie looks excellent, much better then that Wilder turd.

People amaze me, getting all wrapped up in actors/actresses personal issues and life styles. I sit back and enjoy their on screen preformance and that's it. They can do whatever the hell they want outside of that and I don't give a crap.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

why such a hatred towards Johnny Depp?

What did he ever do to piss you all off?

I think he's a pretty decent actor in his own right. The best actor? of course not. but he's good and shows a range of characters he can play.

RON! Stop it! I command you!

Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka is pure evil, delicious to watch, and super subversive.

No need to remake this. There MUST be something original out there filmmakers can do.

I will punish you by drinking Rolling Rock tonight! HA!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

Spaceman Spiff

People need to accept the fact that Hollywood is running out of ideas and we aren't going to see much original stuff coming down the pike for some time I would guess. Remakes, sequels and comic book movies is what we are in for.

But I say, bring'em on. They entertain me just like the remake of War of the Worlds did, just like Herbie: Fully Loaded, just like Charile will do and F4 as well. Heck, Stealth, The Island, Serenity, King Kong...all I plan to buy on dvd. Corpse Bride looks great as well. Lots of fun, entertaining movies headed our way.

I will punish you by drinking Rolling Rock tonight! HA!
    Sure isn't me your punishing bro, their your taste buds.
    Last edited by Ron-P; 07-07-2005 at 02:22 PM.
    If...

Originally posted by danger boy
    why such a hatred towards Johnny Depp?

What did he ever do to piss you all off?

I think he's a pretty decent actor in his own right. The best actor? of course not. but he's good and shows a range of characters he can play.
    Haven't you heard all the anti-government, anti-war, anti-military sewage that's been spewing from his mouth over the last couple of years.

A good actor, yeah, but he should stick to acting and not politics. I believe that he makes 95% of his money in the U.S. and he might want to remember that.

Eff it, France can keep the little commy.

Maybe my hostility is due to me being a veteran. I just think that someone who makes an "extremely comfortable" living for entertaining people should stick to that and be thankful that he/she lives in a free country that allows him/her to do so. It's sort of like the "biting the hand that feeds you" analogy. He should be thankful for the military personnel that defends his way of life and his freedom. Has he done what Jane Fonda did..., no, but it's not that far away from it.
    Last edited by ND13; 07-07-2005 at 02:27 PM.

Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka is pure evil, delicious to watch, and super subversive.

MC
    I have to agree here. Gene Wilder was perfect in the role.

Johnny Depp looks autistic in the role, not subversive. Willy Wonka should be clever, not mentally damaged.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Originally posted by Ron-P
    People need to accept the fact that Hollywood is running out of ideas and we aren't going to see much original stuff coming down the pike for some time I would guess. Remakes, sequels and comic book movies is what we are in for.

But I say, bring'em on. They entertain me just like the remake of War of the Worlds did, just like Herbie: Fully Loaded, just like Charile will do and F4 as well. Heck, Stealth, The Island, Serenity, King Kong...all I plan to buy on dvd. Corpse Bride looks great as well. Lots of fun, entertaining movies headed our way.

Sure isn't me your punishing bro, their your taste buds.
    Kinda like the recycled ****e we get for music these days :(

Johnny Depp is really a very good actor and may turn out to be his generations 'Nicholson'. He takes off the beaten-path rolls and adds a twist most actors can only dream of. As far as his politics....who cares. We never really get to know our celebs as you would get to know a neighbor or co-worker. I don't believe anything I read about any famous person. It's all about hype and creating a "cool" persona so the public will like whatever they are doing at that particuliar moment.

What the hell was this thread about...originally

H9

mmmm....I could go for an ice cold Rolling Rock right now!
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Originally posted by Porter
    I have to agree here. Gene Wilder was perfect in the role.

Johnny Depp looks autistic in the role, not subversive. Willy Wonka should be clever, not mentally damaged.
    Always enjoy/enjoyed the Gene Wilder version. Only problem is it's nothing like the book, that's where the general critisicm comes from. A delightfully subversive flick, just not at all like the book. Remains to be seen if the new one parallels the book more or not.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Spaceman Spiff

....who cares
    Exactly. I'm dumbfounded at how so many people get wrapped up in the lives of the popular just from news reports, magazines and the like. Not even knowing if it's the truth.

I sure hope TB followed the book. I have some doubts as the trailers make it look light hearted more so then dark, like the book. But, in a little over a week I'll find out. This is one I have to catch opening weekend.
    If...

Originally posted by ND13
    Haven't you heard all the anti-government, anti-war, anti-military sewage that's been spewing from his mouth over the last couple of years.

A good actor, yeah, but he should stick to acting and not politics. I believe that he makes 95% of his money in the U.S. and he might want to remember that.

Eff it, France can keep the little commy.

Maybe my hostility is due to me being a veteran. I just think that someone who makes an "extremely comfortable" living for entertaining people should stick to that and be thankful that he/she lives in a free country that allows him/her to do so. It's sort of like the "biting the hand that feeds you" analogy. He should be thankful for the military personnel that defends his way of life and his freedom. Has he done what Jane Fonda did..., no, but it's not that far away from it.

Noel, I certainly donít want to get into pissing match, because I do see youíre POV and agree somewhat. But, the freedom you talk about is exactly what allows JD to say the things that are on his mind and to pursue his right to happiness. Whether it be here or in a foreign county. At least he doesnít complain about the government and continue to live here. He moved because he didnít whole-heartedly agree with what it was doing. I donít nec agree with everything he stands for but his arguments certainly ring somewhat true in one-way or another.

Having said that I still think the United States of America is the best place to live and pursue dreams. We have some issues, but overall the quality of life is second to none. Big thanks to our veterans and those currently serving in the military who have and continue to make this possible.

H9

Johnny Depp is a tremendous actor and no matter how much I try not to, I love his performance in Pirates of the Carribean. But he's a pinko, communist traitor! Sitting over there in France, making all his money in America while talking trash about us like we're the scourge of the world. Eff him!

The Nobel Peace prize is a joke! Yassir Arafat won it!!!!!

Jimmy Carter won it for "standing against his own administration in a time of war". So they gave that putz the peace prize for fighting against Bush during the war on terror. Traveling over to Europe talking trash.

Say what you will about Clinton but he's acted with honor thruout this entire ordeal. He got a little political during the elections but overall I have gained a new found respect for him for being a patriot instead of a politician.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

Originally posted by heiney9
    Noel, I certainly donít want to get into pissing match, because I do see youíre POV and agree somewhat. But, the freedom you talk about is exactly what allows JD to say the things that are on his mind and to pursue his right to happiness. Whether it be here or in a foreign county. At least he doesnít complain about the government and continue to live here. He moved because he didnít whole-heartedly agree with what it was doing. I donít nec agree with everything he stands for but his arguments certainly ring somewhat true in one-way or another.

Having said that I still think the United States of America is the best place to live and pursue dreams. We have some issues, but overall the quality of life is second to none. Big thanks to our veterans and those currently serving in the military who have and continue to make this possible.

H9
    I would have much more respect for JD if he had said the things he said and "stayed" in the US. I mean, don't complain then run away. Stand by what you say like a man. I can respect that. Like I've said many times on these forums, I respect everybody's opinions, whether I agree with them or not. And I never asked anyone to stop going to his movies. All I said was that I wouldn't be. Now with all this and that being said, let's end this topic. It's not fun, and I'm here to have fun and talk audio. I usually don't get "too" involved with this type of stuff, but ........

Sorry for offending anyone,

Noel
    Last edited by ND13; 07-07-2005 at 10:09 PM.

I would have much more respect for JD if he had said the things he said and "stayed" in the US. I mean, don't complain then run away. Stand by what you say like a man. I can respect that. Like I've said many times on these forums, I respect everybody's opinions, whether I agree with them or not. And I never asked anyone to stop going to his movies. All I said was that I wouldn't be. Now with all this and that being said, let's end this topic. It's not fun, and I'm here to have fun and talk audio. I usually don't get "too" involved with this type of stuff, but ........

Sorry for offending anyone,

Noel
    No offence taken, just a friendly discussion that I respectfully will end.

As for Geldof getting the Nobel Peace prize, he doesn't deserve it. Live Aid and his latest project are certainly noteworthy, but not for the Nobel Prize.

Although I'd rather see him get it than Bono, not much consolation there. Bono should be called Bozo. Oh I hope I didn't open up a can of worms. Bono can do whatever he wants....he's still a hypocrite and a twit....only in America baby!!;)

H9

I can't believe I read all these posts and no one seems to apprreciate the magnitude, the grand historical significance, the stupendous coolness of Geldof's incredible contributuion to the planet ! Absolutely he deserves the Nobel and every other prize you could mention. Never mind that G8 bull, he got Floyd back together ! even if it was for just a minute.

Originally posted by uncyogi
    I can't believe I read all these posts and no one seems to apprreciate the magnitude, the grand historical significance, the stupendous coolness of Geldof's incredible contributuion to the planet ! Absolutely he deserves the Nobel and every other prize you could mention. Never mind that G8 bull, he got Floyd back together ! even if it was for just a minute.
    Never thought of it in that light. Yeah, if he could get Pink Floyd back together then he does deserve "something" anyways:p :D .

Originally posted by heiney9
    No offence taken, just a friendly discussion that I respectfully will end.

As for Geldof getting the Nobel Peace prize, he doesn't deserve it. Live Aid and his latest project are certainly noteworthy, but not for the Nobel Prize.

Although I'd rather see him get it than Bono, not much consolation there. Bono should be called Bozo. Oh I hope I didn't open up a can of worms. Bono can do whatever he wants....he's still a hypocrite and a twit....only in America baby!!;)

H9
    Don't get me started on Bono, that " FARGIN BASTAGE".:D
    And that's a shame to, I loved everything U2 did up to Joshua Tree.
    Last edited by ND13; 07-09-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Don't get me started on Bono, that " FARGIN BASTAGE".:D
    And that's a shame to, I loved everything U2 did up to Johua Tree.
    Hear, hear! U2's early stuff was much better than their later music.

Originally posted by danger boy
    Hear, hear! U2's early stuff was much better than their later music.
    Yeah, their later stuff isn't nearly as good as... let's say "WAR".
    I think Bono has let his stardom go to his head, and now believes he's a politician and has some screwed up agenda to pass along to "his" public. These people need to remember where the large majority of there income comes from, the USA. They would be just another garage band that nobody ever heard of it weren't for the USA. They should try to clean up their own backyard, instead of worrying about us. I mean, come on, with all the problems Ireland has, he should preach about that.

And again, with that said, I'll not post again on the subject of foriegners who make almost all their money in the US and then want to criticize our government and our way of life.
    Last edited by ND13; 07-08-2005 at 12:04 PM.

Thread Information