Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default 5 channel amp to mate w/ NAD T773

Hey Polksters, I need your advice on my new purchase. I presently have a NAD T773 receiver. It's performance is awesome on both HT & music. But the upgrade bug has bitten me hard. I have a $2000 budget for a 5 channel amp to mate w/ the NAD. I'll use the NAD as a pre/pro. My friends think I'm nuts because they can't believe how good my system sounds with the NAD. They just don't understand how us AUDIONUTS function. So far I've checked out: ADCOM, ROTEL, SUNFIRE, ANTHEM, OUTLAW, PROCEED, ARAGON, ATI, PARASOUND, B&K, SHERBOURN, all things being equal I'm leaning towards the SHERBOURN because it's really 5 mono block 200 watt amps in one unit. My speakers are ENERGY CONNOISSEUR C7'S for mains, ENERGY C-C3 center, POLK LSi/FX REARS, & a SVS 25-31PLUS sub. I'm itching to pull the trigger. What do you guys recommend for my situation. Down the road I'll probably sell the NAD & go with a new processor. Thanks
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (1)

You like the nad sound so perhaps you could check out the nad T-973. Nad also has a pre to go with the amp, http://www.spearitsound.com.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quite frankly, with that receiver and it's two torridial transformers, you don't need a seperate power amp. Even if you got a 200 x 5 or 200 x 7 external amp, you'd probably be hard pressed to even tell the difference.

Save your $$$ or put them into another part of your system.
    Last edited by marker; 10-27-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I'm biased to Parasound beings I have alot of experience with that manufacturer and product line, but they're all nice choices. I've handled a few of those brands and have no change in opinion.

I really like monoblock designs, but most are still strapped internally, module or otherwise, so the idea takes a hit when it comes to power source supply. The channels are segmented, and seperate, but often cheap out on components at that level as well.

Go with something not many ppl have....make your own decision, don't follow the pack. We will eat you ALIVE!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

You John's neighbor?
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Who's John's neighbor? Please clarify.

EDIT: Oh, the Magnolia thing, gotcha'.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 07-08-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I'm looking for advice on buying an amp. Not interested in who's your neighbor. By the way my neighbor's Frank.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I think F1 is refering to your location of Magnolia NJ from which another poster Jstas (or something like that) is from.

Dont know NADs but your receiver sounds like a beast.....
    System 1: Onix Rockets 750 Sig. Ed., Rotel RC 1070, Rotel RB 1080, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 2: LSi15, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Yamaha: 2300 Univ. DVD, CDC-625RS.

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, HK 230, Elite DV-45A; Sony C445.

System 4: RTi100, Onkyo TXSV717Pro, Monarchy/Sonic Impact Hybrid, Yamaha CD.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

My vote would be for the NAD T-973,when and IF you upgrade your processor,you're set for 7.1
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1 TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Look for a used bryston 9B-ST, aka Lexicon 512. Should be in your budget. It's a 5x monoblock design, and even though they call it "125 watts" it'll spec out at about 170 watts with .001%THD, or well into the 200 watt range by the specs most manufacturers use. 20 year no questions asked fully transferable warranty.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

I still say the NAD T773's power amp section is as good and strong as having a seperate 125 X 7 power amp, but if you must get one, the NAD S250, 125 X 5 or 200 X 2. Made for NAD by Gryphon, a European high end manufacturer. Available new at Saturday Audio, an authorized dealer for $999. Will be more refined than the amp section in the T773.

On a side note, I've read somewhere that NAD measured a 100-some watt per channel Marantz receiver by the same standards they measure their own, and the Marantz speced out at something like 30 watts per channel.
    Last edited by marker; 10-27-2007 at 06:12 PM.

The NAD is better than most recievers in that it's got the dual power supplies, but there's still plenty of room for improvement w/ seperates. I think that both the Bryston & the NAD s250 (they've got pretty similiar specs) will cover what you're looking for if you're going to go out & spend $2000 on a 5 channel power amp.

Marker does make a good point- $2000 will also buy you some nice speakers, sources, etc. Is the power section of your amp truly the weak point of your system right now?

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Check out these Jolida hybridshttp://unitedhomeproducts.com/id100.htm . For not much over your budget you can have all three for 7.1. I would think they would sound wonderful with the tube pre and ss output. Just another wrench thrown in the gears.:)

ND13, it's funny you mentioned that as I've been seriosly comptemplating getting the 3 channel hybrid 1704 RC Jolida to match my 1501 RC 2 channel integrated.

Jolida suggests getting a DVD player with it's own processing though.

How would this set up be with the pre/pro section of the Fosgate feeding the pre-amp section of the Jolidas? Having in effect 2 pre-amps?

Originally posted by marker
    ND13, it's funny you mentioned that as I've been seriosly comptemplating getting the 3 channel hybrid 1704 RC Jolida to match my 1501 RC 2 channel integrated.

Jolida suggests getting a DVD player with it's own processing though.

How would this set up be with the pre/pro section of the Fosgate feeding the pre-amp section of the Jolidas? Having in effect 2 pre-amps?
    I'm sure you can bypass the pre section, but that's the good part.
    I'm sure there's a way of doing it or they wouldn't have combined the Fosgate with them. That Fosgate is really cool, huh? Check out the rest of the stuff they carry, some of it is mindblowingly cool ****.

There are no pre-ins on the Jolidas, at least not on mine, and it is a brand spankin' new model that does have pre-outs though, which I understand is a new feature.

And yes, the Fosgate does look cool as hell. Is that the same as the Parasound Halo?

And yes, the Fosgate does look cool as hell. Is that the same as the Parasound Halo?
    I just recently started shopping for a tube amp and haven't got the chance to see any of the Jolida gear in person so I really don't know anymore than what I've read here and on the net. I would have to think that a high-end shop like that wouldn't combine the two if the tube pre wasn't going to be utilized. What would be the point?

It'd be a pain to properly integrate them... the only way to do it is with a DVD player with a built in processor or an outboard processor. You couldn't use your typical HT preamp/ reciever since the Jolida's accept line level signals (200 mV), but all preamp outputs are 1v, 2v, or 4v. So you'd have 2 preamps in the signal path - to keep it from clipping you'd have to crank your receiver way down to get something like a 200mv output... overall this would negate any gains that the hybrid amps would offer.

EDIT: And I've heard some bad things abuot United Home Products, so yes, they might combine two pieces of gear that do NOT go together.
    Last edited by unc2701; 07-08-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Originally posted by unc2701
    It'd be a pain to properly integrate them... the only way to do it is with a DVD player with a built in processor or an outboard processor. You couldn't use your typical HT preamp/ reciever since the Jolida's accept line level signals (200 mV), but all preamp outputs are 1v, 2v, or 4v. So you'd have 2 preamps in the signal path - to keep it from clipping you'd have to crank your receiver way down to get something like a 200mv output... overall this would negate any gains that the hybrid amps would offer.
    I wonder why they would combine them then? I'm not questioning your logic, their's?
    Last edited by ND13; 07-25-2005 at 09:38 PM.

The last 2 posts sum up my thoughts exactly. If you use the Fosgate's pre-section, then what's the pupose of even having the tubed pre sections on the Jolidas in the first place?

Sorry for the hi-jack, but what are some good DVD players with their own decoding?

Edit- whoops, make that 2 of the last 3 posts as ND13 made another one just before I could finish mine.
    Last edited by marker; 07-08-2005 at 03:13 PM.

The last 2 posts sum up my thoughts exactly. If you use the Fosgate's pre-section, then what's the pupose of even having the tubed pre sections on the Jolidas in the first place?

Sorry for the hi-jack, but what are some good DVD players with their own decoding?
    I have a tosh with DD built in and HDCD capabilities, and it's the first DVD I ever purchased. SD 2200 dual disc.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Originally posted by pearsall001
    I'm looking for advice on buying an amp. Not interested in who's your neighbor. By the way my neighbor's Frank.
    what a putz...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Originally posted by Polkmaniac
    what a putz...
    Some people just don't get it. I'm new here and would have never asked for help and then get all pissy when someone asked a humorous question. No sense of humor, just the facts, please.
    Dragnet style.

Yeah, DVD's with builtin decoders are getting more scarce, it seems. Everyone has recievers w/ DD & DTS these days, so the market has gone away, I think. Anyhow, I just checked out the specs on the Fostgate & it really doesn't integrate well with those hybrids at all. If it had some kind of post-decoder/ pre-preamp output, it'd work, but nope, nothing like that. As you guys noted out above, if the Jolidas had a power amp input, it'd work, but you'd bypass the tubes, so what's the point?

I'll try to find where I heard about United Home Products being shady...

In the immortal words of the great civil rights activist King* "Can't we all just get along?"

*-Rodney that is, not Dr. Martin Luther

If it had some kind of post-decoder/ pre-preamp output, it'd work, ...
    Does such a thing even exist? Not saying it doesn't, but I've never heard of it, I don't think.

Yeah, DVD's with builtin decoders are getting more scarce, it seems. Everyone has recievers w/ DD & DTS these days, so the market has gone away, I think. Anyhow, I just checked out the specs on the Fostgate & it really doesn't integrate well with those hybrids at all. If it had some kind of post-decoder/ pre-preamp output, it'd work, but nope, nothing like that. As you guys noted out above, if the Jolidas had a power amp input, it'd work, but you'd bypass the tubes, so what's the point?

I'll try to find where I heard about United Home Products being shady...
    So for someone like me that has a DVD with DD decoder, I could use the Jolidas without a pro, correct? I just wouldn't need the extra 2 channel.

Correctomundo!

Yeah, that'd be a sweet 5.1 system, but getting the volume balanced between the mains and the 3 channel amp could be a pain. They should add a volume control daisy-chain output for that.

Thread Information