Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nick Drake

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Nick Drake

Anyone here a Nick Drake fan? I just got into his music and it's pretty great so far. Right now I'm listening to Bryter Layter as a rec. from a friend but I also have a few other albums.

Take Care,
    Adam
    cats.vans.bag...

Ruler of the gnome universe
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default i am wincing

Are you male or female?

Chicks listen to this whiney stuff, right? Chicks in their Jettas.

This isn't guy music, is it?

Music for the Flip-Flop Generation?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

what's it matter? since when has music been classified into sex, race, or creed? tell me?

I'm a male... there's a big line lets say from Led Zeppelin to Nick Drake but obviously being able to appreciate a vast amount of music for what it is requires a certain level of maturity your 10 year old mind cannot adhere. So let me excuse myself so you can give your reasoning... or go pick another fight you know your unintelligible remarks cannot win.

Take Care,
    Adam

Last edited by swerve; 07-19-2005 at 02:36 PM.
    cats.vans.bag...

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Now now, kids... If you dont play nice you wont get any ice-cream later on.

Originally posted by Zero
    Now now, kids... If you dont play nice you wont get any ice-cream later on.
    Unless he has something really smart to say I've thrown my punches...
    cats.vans.bag...

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Default Re: i am wincing

Originally posted by Micah Cohen
    Chicks in their Jettas.

MC

I'm definitly going to borrow this line somewhere down the road. had to laugh :D
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

I think MC is enjoying the fact that he can let loose with the comments that he used to have to supress due to his employment status.

Hey, we can all have controversial opinions, right?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Question i was out of line

Maybe what I should have done is posed a question: What about this music (this nick drake character) is attractive to you? Does it move you with its emotional lyrics? Does it astound you with its incredible musicianship? Do you put it on when you want to rock out, or when you want to read a book with some soft music, when you're having a dinner party, or when you want to contemplate the world thru music?

These are serious questions. I'm not fooling around here.

I want to know what the attraction is so I can better understand the popularity of the music of the Flip-Flop Generation.

Okay, sorry for that slip at the end there, I'm just a nasty guy. But seriously, I'd appreciate answers to these serious questions.

The Jetta thing still goes, tho.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

Member Sales Rating: (11)

not trying to be funny or anything. but i've never heard of Nick Drake. fill me in someone.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

That's zactly why I'm asking questions, Grasshopper.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

Default Re: i was out of line

Maybe what I should have done is posed a question: What about this music (this nick drake character) is attractive to you? Does it move you with its emotional lyrics? Does it astound you with its incredible musicianship? Do you put it on when you want to rock out, or when you want to read a book with some soft music, when you're having a dinner party, or when you want to contemplate the world thru music?

These are serious questions. I'm not fooling around here.

I want to know what the attraction is so I can better understand the popularity of the music of the Flip-Flop Generation.

Okay, sorry for that slip at the end there, I'm just a nasty guy. But seriously, I'd appreciate answers to these serious questions.

The Jetta thing still goes, tho.

MC
    Alls fair now. If I wanted emotional lyrics I'd turn to Jeff Buckley. He can sing well but doesn't quite have the pipes as Jeff Buckley so I guess it's just all a good blend of his voice and instrumentals. It's not even close to rocking out music :D but is more just sit back and relax//analyze kind of music.

I listened to it all day at work and despite being relaxed it still didn't surpress my thoughts about the super hott chick sitting across the floor from me...
    cats.vans.bag...

Default Re: Re: i was out of line

I listened to it all day at work and despite being relaxed it still didn't surpress my thoughts about the super hott chick sitting across the floor from me...
    I think anytime the words "super hot chick" are written down, a photo must accompany those words :D

I don't know much about Nick Drake, other than his song "Pink Moon" being used by VW in a TV commercial. The commercial created such a stir that a "Best of" was actually released on SACD....

From what I know, he released, like, 3 albums and that was it. None of them were big hits. He was kind of mysterious, and in some ways, reminds me of Syd Barrett.

Angry i knew there was a jetta in here

used by VW in a TV commercial
    I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW THERE WAS A "JETTA" CONNECTION HERE! NO ONE LISTENED TO ME, BUT I KNEW IT!

reminds me of Syd Barrett
    No. I have to stop looking at this thread if this is the direction things are going to be going. I'm going to go put on "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" and think about this; how much this nick drake guy reminds you of Syd Barrett. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ridiculous!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

Always liked Northern Sky and Poor Boy from that recording. And the title cut is delightful.

You might also enjoy Belle and Sebastian.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Jolida JD1502
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Polk LSiM 703s
    Center: Polk LSiM 703
    Subs: SVS PB 12 NSD X 2
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie

Member Sales Rating: (47)

I think that MC has his sonar on,,oops there it is,,,active PING,,better RIG for silent running

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Note to self...

Do not read Micah's comments at 7:42 in the morning - ever.

Wow, thats funny.

Chicks in a jetta...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

LOL!!!! Thats great! I need to find something just incredibly bad for Micah to comment on...
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Default Re: Nick Drake

Originally posted by swerve
    Anyone here a Nick Drake fan? I just got into his music and it's pretty great so far. Right now I'm listening to Bryter Layter as a rec. from a friend but I also have a few other albums.

Take Care,
    Adam

As I am not a raging homophobe, I like some of Nick Drake's music. I'd never really heard of him before the Garden State soundtrack, (One of these things first) but it's good stuff.

And Micah, what do you mean by the flip flop generation? [edit]
    Last edited by gmorris; 07-20-2005 at 08:51 AM.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.

Default Re: Re: Nick Drake

Originally posted by gmorris
    As I am not a raging homophobe, I like some of Nick Drake's music. I'd never really heard of him before the Garden State soundtrack, (One of these things first) but it's good stuff.

And Micah, what do you mean by the flip flop generation? I did a quick search on Amazon, and Nick Drake has been making music now since, as far as I can tell, the late '80's to early 90's, and appears to still be producing. So why are you grouping him into this "flip flop generation"?
    ..... he's dead.
    cats.vans.bag...

Default Re: Re: Re: Nick Drake

..... he's dead.

well, like I said, as best I could tell after a quick search.

There were alot of albums on Amazon that came out in '02 & '04, so I just figured.....

So, since I was totally wrong, when was he around?

Originally posted by Loud & Clear
    You might also enjoy Belle and Sebastian.
    already when down that route :D
    cats.vans.bag...

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Drake

well, like I said, as best I could tell after a quick search.

There were alot of albums on Amazon that came out in '02 & '04, so I just figured.....

So, since I was totally wrong, when was he around?
    69'-mid 70's
    cats.vans.bag...

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Drake

69'-mid 70's
    ok.... i'll just go ahead and edit that post......

Default flip flip generation

When I say "The Flip Flop Generation," I mean this whole new trend of wearing those flip-flops you used to wear only in the shower at summer camp. Now sheeple wear them in restaurants and bars and shopping centers.

I think this is one of the more disgusting trends of late. I'm at a classy sushi restaurant. I do not want to see your skeevy feet while I'm eating raw fish, dude. Wear some shoes.

Guys in flip-flops are just ugly; hairy guy feet, all bent up toes and toe nails, are heinous. I don't want to have to look at them.

I want a t-shirt that says, "I don't want to see your feet."

Just for the record, I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt or a simple blue t-shirt, khaki shorts and a pair of low-top hiking shoes with low crew socks as standard summer garb. I am not subjecting anyone to my feet! So, you can be casual, dude, without my having to see your ugly feet. I blame Old Navy and A&F for brainwashing the sheeple into this dumb fashion.

Flip-flops are stupid when you wear them outside the shower or off of the beach. I don't understand how chicks find this attractive, and how these flip-flop-wearing guys, with their sunglasses pushed up on their forehead looking like a second set of eyes (TAKE THEM OFF YOUR HEAD, IDIOT!) and their oversized shorts hanging down to their ankles (they are not "shorts," they are "longs," obviously) get laid. But I guess they do. No accounting for taste, eh, chicks?

And it seems like flip-flops go together with this new trend for sort of monotone, whiney, stream of consciousness, GARDEN STATE-soundtrack-type music (which is nothing like what Syd Barrett was doing, nothing).

It's like style and fashion are being set by 30 second TV ads for Old Navy, where everyone is comic book Ken & Barbie doll perfect, prancing along to this faux thoughtful, non-rhythmic music, and their feet all look sexy in shower shoes.

I just don't understand this whole thing, I guess. Anyone want to clarify for me? No one has answered my questions from above, anyway.

No one likes me. :(

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nick Drake

ok.... i'll just go ahead and edit that post......
    I already quoted it. ^_^

flip-flop generation.... :D :D
    cats.vans.bag...

Default Re: flip flip generation

SNIP
    I don't buy in to the whole old navy//AE/A&F stuff or even hollywood for that matter; I just find something that is appealing and research it a little. Nick drake was rec. to me by a friend who doesn't buy in to much of the entertainment industry and fads.

fact is... if you hear something you like you are going to want more and keep listening.

what question didn't we answer?

I just don't see how you can take something from the late 60's and early to mid 70's and say that it is a result of old navy and tv commercials... I may be missing a point here but people obviously have a problem if they are going to bite into this music so hard they crack open the attic and dig their parents' clothes out; quit their jobs and start eating acid and hugging trees...

wth is Garden State?!

Last edited by swerve; 07-20-2005 at 09:32 AM.
    cats.vans.bag...

Default buying in

by a friend who doesn't buy in to much of the entertainment industry and fads.
    Well, the guy obviously does buy in, because I don't buy in and I didn't recommend this music to you. See?

I'd like answers to my questions from my "i was out of line" post a few posts back in this thread.

I don't mean to fight about this, I just want to understand. Give me understanding.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

allright, i'll agree with the description of the young kids wearing shower shoes and clothes that don't fit. I don't dress that way, but I think kids that dress that way are just being kids. Your parents probably didn't understand the way you dressed when you were that age.

Angry

that it is a result of old navy and tv commercials
    See my "Jim Morrison" thread for a discussion of how my peers in the advertising world have corrupted music and decided what you will and will not like and listen to. No one would know this nick drake music if it were not for that VW commercial.

This is not something you can fight or disregard. You can't go, "Not me!" Because you are buying into it without even knowing.

Sheeple.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

Default my clothes fit

Your parents probably didn't understand the way you dressed when you were that age.
    I can tell you that I wore shoes and clothes that fit. Beyond that, maybe I had long hair and wore concert t-shirts, but they didn't hang down to my knees.

So, what was bizarre about that? Nothing.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

See my "Jim Morrison" thread for a discussion of how my peers in the advertising world have corrupted music and decided what you will and will not like and listen to. No one would know this nick drake music if it were not for that VW commercial.

This is not something you can fight or disregard. You can't go, "Not me!" Because you are buying into it without even knowing.

Sheeple.

MC
    lol. if I buy into anything to do with clothing it's business casual clothes... i dunno i'm just of the fatter physique and getting all spiffy doesn't really appeal to me. half the time when i go out i put on gym shorts and a black shirt in case there is a pickup game going on somewhere.
    cats.vans.bag...

Thread Information