I received my orange globe Ampex 7308 from Faster100 (thanks so much) on Fri and I've been listening since then. The tube was flawless. Perfect condition and lettering. It's made in USA.
This is by far the BEST tube I've listened to in my GTA pre amp. It does everything right and the bass is insane. Now I have a few questions.
1. Where would this particular tube be in the Ampex food chain? I hear the Bugle Boys are the best.
2. Is it true that 7308's are selected 6922?
3. Is it normal for one triode section to have higher noise than the other? I get more noise out of the left side than right. I have to put my ear up to the tweeter to hear it.
4. Faster also sent me a JAN Sylvania 6DJ8. This looks identical to my JAN Philips 6922. Are they the same tube? Both have green lettering.
I'm having so much fun rolling tubes for this pre because it only needs one tube. Here's my list of my favorite 6DJ6/6922/7308.
1. Amperex 7308 orange globe
2. JJ 6922
3. EH 6922
4. JAN Philips 6922
5. Mullard 6DJ8 tied with GE 6DJ8