Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Quote Originally Posted by Willow
    Funny how the same line up RTi :4, 6,8,10,12 have the same tweets yet some say the one is brighter than the others. Wouldn't that be like saying the Pontiac Vibe goes faster then the Matrix?
    The RTi70 had a similar "problem" for me... and I have heard alot of the other speakers in that line, and they were not that bright.

I narrowed it down to three things...

1) The midbasses right next to each other crossed over at the same exact frequency. They were very forward on their approach.

2) The crossover or crossover point.

3) Design goals, perhaps due to where the price range sits with these speakers, they make the speaker brighter/design it brighter to make it stand out from all the other speakers in the room. Very old trick that is still alive today. The RT800, RT800i, RTi70, RTi8 may be designed around getting your attention... and thus have a slightly brighter top end with a bit more forward midrange section.

Just because speakers all use the same drivers will not make them THE SAME. Crossover points, tuning, tweeter height - its all different and it all effects the sound.
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (17)

You wouldn't say Bose and say Martin Logan? I'd say their even more opposite sounding.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Toxis
    You wouldn't say Bose and say Martin Logan? I'd say their even more opposite sounding.
    I swear... this is the first time I have ever seen those two brands in the same sentence.

:)
    Joey's College Gear:
    Current Gear:
    SB3 -> PS Audio DAC III -> Cary Audio SLP-98Phono Tube PreAmp w/ Sylvania NOS 6sn7 tubes -> Plinius SA102 Class A amp -> Martin Logan SUMMIT/Strata Mini -> :D
    Old Gear:
    Martin Logan Vantage (4.75/5)-ML Mosaic (4.25/5)-Onix Ref1 (3.7/5)-Sonus Faber Concerto (3.5/5)-SF Concertino (3/5)-Axiom M22ti (2.75/5)-Polk LSi9 (3.75/5)-LSi7 (3.25/5)-HK AVR330-Rotel RC1070/RB1070/RB1090-SVS 25-31PC+ sub
    RUSH Med School 2008!!:D

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Right I get it I forgot about the darn crossovers.

Coupled up with a decent or good sub, clears up all of this. my mids are great and my highs are not harsh what so ever.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

tdogroeder - Any update on your quest for speakers?
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by audiobliss
    tdogroeder - Any update on your quest for speakers?
    I've decided to go with Polk Audio.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Awesome. Hope you like it. What in particular are you looking at?

EDIT - nevermind, I could just pay attention and see your thread about the R15
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

I own a pair of klpsch kg4 when i bought them i auditioned few other speakers including an smaller polks that i dont remember the model. Both sounded great. In that occation i prefered the klipsch, but being honest, i cant say the polks where no good. For me i have to stablish something klipsch is a diferent sound. Not every body likes them but a lot of people love them. Is like that klipsch have a bit of urban flavor. You can play a classic concerto but a hip hop song to. Like the first few post that i read, you have to hear them both to deside. Speaker sound is very subjective. But keeping the comparison. I love mi klipsch but woul like to set up another room with polks, because a two diferent sounds, in few words, Polk is kind of mellow and klpsch is kind of heavy or bright. Bot are great speakers and good price on affordable high end. And Polk still better price. Polk is a speaker that give you more bang for your bucks. And truly my next set of speakers might be polk in priorities. Hear them both not in price but more in type range. And you will notice what i tell you.

I am suspecting that the OP figured out the answer to their conundrum oh...I would say nearly 7 years ago when the thread was started and last responded to...just sayin'.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Quote Originally Posted by danger boy View Post
    Bose are better than Polk and Klipsch.. you knucklehead.
    only when paired with the best cables you can buy, Monster
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: Monitor 5 Jr. +
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

Quote Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
    Well, this being a Polk forum and all....I'm willing to bet the concensus here would be Polk. Go to the Klipsch forum and they will probably say Klipsch.

Go listen to them both and pick the ones YOU like.

BDT
    nice :)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I have found that tube based computers provide the best sound quality. ENIAC and MANIAC I offer a smooth, well defined and articulated sound unmatched by the current silicon based CPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremymarcinko View Post
    But as in all things your perception is your reality.

I don't think a better speaker is a matter of opinion though. At least when it comes to sound. I can grant you that appearance is subjective and arbitrary, but not sound. Speakers have a clear goal of true reproduction of the source. One of them will sound closer to the real thing, and that objectively is the better speaker, even if you like the other one more.

That said, it is hard to make a cardinal ruling on what brand is better. They are very competitive at all price points. My RtiA line is definitely brighter than my Klipsch Icon line. The frequency response curves are like a perfect mirror. One is domed up (klipsch) and one is domed down (rtia). After more than a year with both i still don't know which i prefer. But I am sure the staffs of one of these magazines like the Audio critic can compare them in detail and say which has a truer reproduction.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I have found that tube based computers provide the best sound quality. ENIAC and MANIAC I offer a smooth, well defined and articulated sound unmatched by the current silicon based CPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremymarcinko View Post
    But as in all things your perception is your reality.

Quote Originally Posted by ravaneli View Post
    I don't think a better speaker is a matter of opinion though. At least when it comes to sound. I can grant you that appearance is subjective and arbitrary, but not sound..
    Really Rav ? You just said sound isn't subjective....really ?

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by ravaneli View Post
    I don't think a better speaker is a matter of opinion though. At least when it comes to sound. I can grant you that appearance is subjective and arbitrary, but not sound. Speakers have a clear goal of true reproduction of the source. One of them will sound closer to the real thing, and that objectively is the better speaker, even if you like the other one more.

That said, it is hard to make a cardinal ruling on what brand is better. They are very competitive at all price points. My RtiA line is definitely brighter than my Klipsch Icon line. The frequency response curves are like a perfect mirror. One is domed up (klipsch) and one is domed down (rtia). After more than a year with both i still don't know which i prefer. But I am sure the staffs of one of these magazines like the Audio critic can compare them in detail and say which has a truer reproduction.
    Re read this.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

I think that if everyone that makes a "sound isn't subjective" post added the words "to my ears" to literally everything they posted, they would begin to realize that sound is *wait for it*...SUBJECTIVE

;)
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Re read this.
    I did Dan. He claims the freq response curves are mirrored images of each other yet one is brighter than the other. So either graphs and technicals don't mean squat as far as sound quality goes, or it's obviously subjective.....or both. Measurements can be a useful tool, but it is ones own ears....subjective ears, that picks out the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I did Dan. He claims the freq response curves are mirrored images of each other yet one is brighter than the other. So either graphs and technicals don't mean squat as far as sound quality goes, or it's obviously subjective.....or both. Measurements can be a useful tool, but it is ones own ears....subjective ears, that picks out the differences.
    Tony , I fully agree with you but the one piece of this puzzle your missing is how the actual speaker performs in ones room.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    I think that if everyone that makes a "sound isn't subjective" post added the words "to my ears" to literally everything they posted, they would begin to realize that sound is *wait for it*...SUBJECTIVE

;)
    Sound is but the ability to replay a signal is not.
    Dan

As far as Polk and klipsch go I own both brands and like both brands, one thing I can say is I prefer the Polk forum over the klipsch forum.

Yes it is, but to what degree that replay gear does it, is in itself, subjective.

Also, how a speaker performs in a room is also subjective. Whats good to you may not be to me. Everything in audio is subjective, everyone perceives sound to different degrees.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

7 year old thread...
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.

My bother has Klipsch and I have Polk's, we both debate which is best but for my subjective ears I feel my Polk's sound better. Neither of us is wrong, and neither is right, we like what we like.
    ---
    Polk Studio Monitor 4.6 Series 2's, Polk RT1000p's, Polk LSi25's, Boston Acoustic VR-975's
    Crown D-75, Crown CE1000, Crown CE2000

Auditioning speakers is a big waste of time. As is comparing "specs" which are likely falsified anyhow.

The correct way to purchase a speaker is BASED SOLELY ON EVERYONE ELSE'S OPINIONS.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise?

Quote Originally Posted by audiobliss View Post
    No one can tell you which speakers are 'best'. You'd have to look at the spec sheet and compare their power handling, construction materials, frequency response, impedance levels, efficiency, etc. to determine which are 'best'. However, audio is a subjective thing, and it doesn't really matter how a speaker looks on paper but how it sounds to you. The only way to get an accurate answer to your question is to find a store that sells Polk and Klipsch (or two stores, each carrying one), and audition them.

Having said that, Polk and Klipsch, I would say, are two very very different speakers. Polk typically, I believe, has silk dome tweeters that are 'smoother', 'softer', and 'mellower'. Klipsch uses aluminum (or titanium...I forgot which) compression dome tweeters with horns that make for 'hard', 'detailed', 'crisp', and some would say 'harsh' sound. It really depends on what strikes your fancy.

As you can tell from looking at my signature, I'm a fan of Klipsch speakers. I don't find them harsh at all with my Yamaha receiver, and I'm in love with their sound. However, you may think they're the brightest things you've ever heard. I haven't critcally listened to (well, anything, lol) Polk speakers, so I can't say much about them, but again, it comes down to what you and your ears like.

Go out and listen and decide for yourself.
    +1 klipsch is a very good manufacturer of horn loaded speakers. Really well built

I agree 100%. The signal itself is a measurable quantity. You can put numbers to distortion, output level, etc.
    But "it sounds good" is hard to put a number to.
    I say that in the sense that to one person's ears, I set of speakers may sound like sex with Megan Fox but then the next person may find the sound muddied or harsh. These same opinions from 2 distinctly different people listen to the exact same gear/song/volume level/seating position/any other verifiable part of the equation.

Not disagreeing with you at all mantis...just expanding on my original thought that was rushed by my getting out the door to obtain my new speakers. LOL

I agree. I have to support 5 home theaters that means like 18 pairs of speakers. I like some of the older Klipsch speakers but Polks destroy the newer ones. Now Polk vs. Paradigm or B & W Nautilus would be a much tougher call.
    My Polk Rti 150's with an A7 center beat out a mid range matched B & W set up but it took me almost three days to figure it out.

I liked the Bose 901 series, the rest of their stuff is just not that good at all.
    I never heard Martin Logans. I have read they are awesome.

to each his own...

There is a way to determine which is better. Which speakers can you listen to on a quality amp for hours with no listener fatigue??? My answer would be certainly not the Klipsch speakers. They have always been frat house rockers, organ enhancerrs and speakers that could make an orchestra sound like a brassy marching band... BTW those Rti's aren't that great either. Only decent Polks are the LSi series due to the vastly superior tweeters IMHO.
    The MAINE System
    Marantz AV7005
    2 Carver M200t's biamped, Adcom GFA 7000
    Pioneer DV-46A, Lightspeed
    Polk LSi 15's, PMC DB1+C, Polk LSi7, Sunfire True Sub II
    Samsung HP-T1254 42in Plasma
    Kubala Sosna Center wiring, DAO Kubala Sosna , Apature & Monster HDMI's

The CT System
    Marantz AV7005
    MacIntosh MC352, Marantz MM7705w/Sig. upgrade
    Polk LSi15's, Golden Ear Technologies Sat 50's & 50C
    Kubala Sosna Speaker wire, Audioquest interconnects and assorted other goodies

Quote Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
    There is a way to determine which is better. Which speakers can you listen to on a quality amp for hours with no listener fatigue??? My answer would be certainly not the Klipsch speakers. They have always been frat house rockers, organ enhancerrs and speakers that could make an orchestra sound like a brassy marching band... BTW those Rti's aren't that great either. Only decent Polks are the LSi series due to the vastly superior tweeters IMHO.
    Again, you are talking about something that is completely subjective.
    You are stating *your* opinion. Not that it is a bad thing but it is just that, your opinion.
    I am absolutely in love with Klipsch Palladiums.
    Listening to a pair of their bookshelf speakers vs LSi9s back to back, I am hard pressed to decide which I like better.
    I prefer some music on the Palladiums and other music on the LSis. But then that too is *my* opinion.

Everyone's ears are similar...in that they work the same general way.
    But what you might find harsh or fatiguing, someone else may find it just right. This is why there are so many speaker options and so many different manufacturers out there. There can be because everyone has a different preference.

As Dan stated...sound is subjective while the ability to replay a signal is not.
    If sound wasn't subjective, my gangbanger neighbor would think his "boomin" system in his Civic sounds like **** just like I do.

Thread Information