Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default Fuse for Monitor 5b's?

What fuse is supposed be used for the Monitor 5b's? The pair I picked up at a flea market have two different fuses in them, I need to know what fuse is supposed to be used. Also, is it possible to get a polyswitch from Parts Express and put in place of the fuses? What value would you use? Thanks!
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I couldn't find any info. on the correct fuses, so I went with 1 amp. That seemed like a safe value. I had never heard the 5b's before. Pretty impressive little monitor! After replacing the SL2000's in my Monitor 10's, and SDA2, I now can hear how bright the original SL2000 is. Not sure if it is worth the money to replace the one's in the 5b's, although even at $200 to replace the MW6502's and the SL2000's, I don't know where I would go buy a pair of bookshelf speakers as good for $200/pr? The closest I have heard are my EPOS ELS-3.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by dkg999
    I couldn't find any info. on the correct fuses, so I went with 1 amp. That seemed like a safe value. I had never heard the 5b's before. Pretty impressive little monitor! After replacing the SL2000's in my Monitor 10's, and SDA2, I now can hear how bright the original SL2000 is. Not sure if it is worth the money to replace the one's in the 5b's, although even at $200 to replace the MW6502's and the SL2000's, I don't know where I would go buy a pair of bookshelf speakers as good for $200/pr? The closest I have heard are my EPOS ELS-3.
    5b's were my very first Polk product. Bought them used in 1985 for $225 a pair. I used to hang out at the high-end store that sold these all the time, even though I worked for a discount retailer in the audio dept. I used to take my 5b's into the discount retailer to let _our_ customers listen to them. I sold a lot of 5b's for the other store. Hell, that's what eventually got me hired at the high-end store down the road. Customers always commented on how good they sounded....couldn't believe so much sound from such a small speaker. If you are going to use them a lot buy the replacement parts. It'll be worth becasue I agree you won't find a $200 pair of book-shelfs that sound that good. :)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Thread Information