Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default would my receiver be enough to drive SDA2s?

See sig for model. It's rated 100watts at 8ohms, I believe (I'd have to check the manual for specific resistance ratings, but I'm pretty sure it's 8-16ohms). It's been driving my Monitor 10's without any issue for the past year or two. Obviously SDA-2's would take more juice than the 10's... I don't really the the opportunity to crank my system often, so high levels would not be required, but it would be nice :D .

Just looking at a few things on the horizon...
    Ludicrous gibs!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I am running my 2's with an adcom 545 (100wpc) and I am thinking that I need more. I think I want a 555.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains

Okay... I'm sure that Adcom 545 can put out more actual power than my JVC receiver, too...
    Ludicrous gibs!

Member Sales Rating: (8)

i run mine with a marantz 2270 receiver (circa 1970-75). it's rated at 70 watts. i'm told it puts out 105 by a tech who worked on it..anyway, for low to moderate listening, i have no complaints..when i want to get louder, say past 10 o'clock on the volume, they really sing...i don't think they really need much juice to get going....but, to really make them do what they do best, separates are the way to go...it's on my list of things to get :)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I probably should have elaborated a little more. The 545 powers it just fine. I have never had the volume past 11 o'clock and at that setting it is pretty loud. They just seem to want a little more room to breath.

BTW, which SDA-2's? Mine are the original 2's. They have 2 tweets, 3 mids, and 1 PR each. If you are talking about SDA-2A's or B's I would guess they would be easier to drive.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains

No, I'm talking about the original SDA2's w/ the 3 active woofers and two tweeters each.

sda2mike- I know what you mean about those vintage marantz receivers. I have a 2220b that is rated for 30 watts, I believe, and it gets my Monitor 10's going pretty good. Unfortunately, it has some issues that keep me from using it as my main amp.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Thread Information