Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Default Once Again, A Quality Amp Matters For Speakers

Finally made my speaker choice after 15 years with my Celestion SL6si. As much as I wanted the LSi9's, finances forced me lower. I was able to pickup a pair of Infinity Kappa 200 in cherry for what I think was a steal.

I spent a week breaking them in every evening, the rest of the time was white noise from my HK AVR75 receiver. I must admit to being disappointed in the sound. Then I hooked up my eBay purchase Adcom 535. WOW, the difference a separate amp can make is unreal. The Kappa 200's are a 6 ohm (much like the LSi7), but I didn't think my HK receiver would lack so much, or the 535 was that awesome.

Whatever the case may be, I urge everyone running LSi or similar speakers on receivers to upgrade to a separate amp, you will find new life in your current speakers.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

this is news to me... i gotta get me one of them amp thingys
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I agree on the amp...

not a fan of Infinity though...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Good to hear that there was a marked difference. I've always believed that to be the case, IMO. I know we've had a few debates about this very subject. Good to hear a glowingly positive outcome.

Enjoy

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Polk Fan:
    Dollar for dollar I would agree with you regarding Infinity, but these came at such a bargain that I just couldn't pass on them. Plus, since these are a Denmark product they sound quite different from the rest of their products.

An aquaintance is planning on bringing over his LSi7 sometime in October for a head to head, Ought to be interesting since the Adcom 535 have A/B speaker switching. Immediate sound comparison can happen.

Thread Information