Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default SDA-Helpful Hint for Bad Mid Driver Noise

That bad driver in a multi-mid/woofer setup may not be bad afterall....................

The past week I have been suffering with what I considered to be a bad driver on my SDA1Cs. It smacked, clacked and generally made a hell of a racket when a drum kick or deep bass note sounded at high volume. I couldn't recall any time that I had really driven them too hard or to the point of mistreatment, but it was definately not working in unison with the other mids in the box. Late last night I took the driver out to see for sure what model I needed to look for, I noticed one of the speaker leads had come loose. Hooking it back up, problem solved.

SDA mid drivers in a sealed box/passive radiator design without a signal runnng through them to control excursion become the passive radiator. Being only 6.5 inches, they easily move too far and reach the limit of their travel in a most noisy and uncomfortable sounding smack.

Just thought I would pass on what may be obvious to some here on the forum, but we have had a number of members listening to speakers that are for sale find SDAs that had a mid driver that made racket at high volumes and assumed that replacement was neeed. I found out the easy way, this isn't always the case.

Thanks for reading,

Dennis G.

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Thanks for the info, Dennis!

I have another helpful hint for those contemplating SDA Xover improvements: replace the damn polyswitch! I'm kicking myself for not replacing, or bypassing, them when I upgraded the SRS and 2B components. I'd never had an issue until I drove the SRSs pretty hard listening to Danielia Cotton (DAMN, this chick can sing!) They tripped once and now trip easily at fairly normal levels. :o

Mike
    • Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • PS Audio GCP-200 preamp w/external PS
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Wadia 301 CD transport - Schiit Gungnir DAC
    • MIT Shotgun S1 IC's and speaker cables
    • PS Audio P3 Power Plant
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Oh, my polys are kicking out, at the highest of volumes but I didn't want to do anything until I upgraded the rest of the caps in my crossover. Winter, indoor, snow flying type of job.......

Excellent tips guys, thanks for sharing. My xo upgrades are also planned for a wintertime activity.

Thread Information