Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Right Channel on Receiver doesn't work

Hi,
    Ok here's the deal. My 2 year old cranked the volume on my 2 channel rig and my wife turned it on and couldn't turn it down or turn it off for about 30 seconds and now the right channel doesn't work at all. At first I thought that the speaker just blew, but after trying another speaker I realized that the right channel is gone.
    What do I do? Are there fuses inside the receiver at all?
    I am planning on opening it up and taking a look, other than that I do not know what else to do. Is there anything else I should look for? I know little or nothing about the insides of electronics, and most likely cannot fix it myself. Just looking for anything simple I may be able to do so that I do not have to buy another receiver. However if anyone has one for a decent(cheap) price I may consider.
    I have seen a Yamaha RX-V850 for $150 used locally, but not sure about the unit as I can't seem to find any specs at the Yamaha site. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
    David

Member Sales Rating: (13)

It would help if you told us what receiver you have.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Hmmph.. some Guru you turned out to be! :D
    Be-Bop-A-Lula, Baby What I Say

The broken receiver is a a Philips FR920. My surround receiver that all functions work is a Sony STR-DE975.

Man, I didn't even know Philips made a receiver. You probably fried the output devices, but there could be a fuse or two inside. Pop the top and take a look around for a bad fuse. Other than that, it would cost you more to repair it than it's worth.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (5)

special note, not to insult you, but just in case, please have the unit unplugged when you pop the lid off :p
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Ah come on Lou, ya gotta live on the edge!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

If you wind up taking it to a repair shop......be careful unless you trust them. A shop tried to take me for over $300.00 for a simple push of the button fix one time.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's

Thanks for the replies. I figure it will probably end up in the trash, but I had to ask, it has been a great 2 channel receiver. I still haven't had time to take it apart, all I can do is take a look at it.

Thanks again,
    David

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default 5.1 channels into one: did something fry?

I use a Technics SA-AX6 Dolby Pro Logic 5.1 receiver with several Technics music sources and four Polk Audio R30 floorstanding speakers with a Polk Csi25 center channel speaker. One input device, a 110 disc CD player, was recently reconnected to the system after being used elsewhere. On reconnection, all signal from this device goes through my receiver into the front main right speaker, while all other speakers get no signal. I triple checked and found no cross channeling or phase problems. The problem is unique and exclusive to signal from this CD player. I would appreciate guru thinking as to what may have happened here, and ideas about a possible cure.

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Davidv--Give her a proper burial, then jump on Audiogon.com and welcome yourself to the wonderful world of seperates. Check out NAD, Rotel, Parasound, B&K, for starters, there is so much out there for so little dough to those who research and have patience.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE