Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Default SRS in the house

After a cold night in the garage (the speakers, not me...), this morning I unloaded them with the help of my son and moved them to the basement.

After looking at them in detail, performing the whole SDA check list including resistance measures, and obviously listening to them, I can say they are in great shape. Next step will be to upgrade the tweeters, since the highs at loud volumes do sound somehow annoying compared with my 1B's that have the new tweeters.

I took all the drivers out and they look like new; noticed that all the wire terminals were really loose, so I tightened them. Could not take any of the tweeters out, because all of them have at least one very damaged hex screw......when I get the new ones some drilling might be needed :)

Also unscrewed the crossovers just to take a peek....and even though I had plans to upgrade them with solen/mills, I must say that I don't think I'll have the courage to do this....all the wires that go to drivers/tweeters are soldered, and just taking the crossovers out will require some surgical work..I think I'll pass...I have soldered some easy connections, but I think this is too much for me...we'll see.

The black gloss looks great IMO; there are a few scratches, some really bad, but nothing that cannot be fixed.

Did I say they sound great? Oh my God; my 1B's with new tweeters (and all 8 new drivers also....) sound great, but the presence of the SRS's is unbelievable. You really feel surrounded by instruments.

Some pictures at home; including the bad scratches...

Edit: One of them is missing one of the adjustable feet (?); anyone knows if I can get an original somewhere?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2363.JPG‎
Views:	264
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	12404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2364.JPG‎
Views:	236
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	12405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2359.JPG‎
Views:	231
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	12406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2358.JPG‎
Views:	162
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	12407   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2360.JPG‎
Views:	194
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	12408  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2361.JPG‎
Views:	161
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	12409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.JPG‎
Views:	212
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	12410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354.JPG‎
Views:	174
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	12411   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2353.JPG‎
Views:	230
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	12412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2362.JPG‎
Views:	195
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	12413  

Last edited by Ricardo; 11-19-2005 at 07:33 PM.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Beautiful! Look like mine. I just got done replacing the polyswitches, and used a little battery powered shaver gizmo to clean up some slight imperfections in the grill cloth.

If I were you, I WOULD NOT drill out the tweeters. See if you can get some rapid setting epoxy or something, and try to epoxy a slightly smaller hex head into the screw fittings. Then, remove as usual, pop the hex driver off the screw, and do the next one.

Good luck!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by djf
    If I were you, I WOULD NOT drill out the tweeters. See if you can get some rapid setting epoxy or something, and try to epoxy a slightly smaller hex head into the screw fittings. Then, remove as usual, pop the hex driver off the screw, and do the next one.

Good luck!
    This is GREAT advice that I will never forget!

Thanks

Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***

Member Sales Rating: (28)

I'll try the epoxy thing...but really there's nothing bad to drilling out screws if done carefuly. The whole head will go out and then taking the screw out is easy...

thanks for the tip:)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by HTrookie
    One of them is missing one of the adjustable feet (?); anyone knows if I can get an original somewhere?
    Ken hooked me up with one a few months back.

Congrats and enjoy your speakers.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Thumbs up Lookin' Good!

Congratulations on you new SRS's! I'm sure you'll be happy with them. The new tweets as you know will soften the sound. Nice speakers! Congratulations!
    Carl

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Cool beans! Enjoy!
    • Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • PS Audio GCP-200 preamp w/external PS
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Wadia 301 CD transport - Schiit Gungnir DAC
    • MIT Shotgun S1 IC's and speaker cables
    • PS Audio P3 Power Plant
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Oh man!!!

Stripped hex screws, some scratches, tweets to replace, crossovers, and maybe posts to upgrade???? What are you thinking my good man? If I were you I'd give up on 'em and give 'em to me! :p
    polkaudio speakers: SDA-SRS-2.3 (modified) SDA-2B SDA-CRS+ RT3000p CS400i LF-14 Monitor 7B

Member Sales Rating: (0)

As far as the feet go, I think they are pretty standard issue desk type feet that you should be able to pick up at a Goodwill or something.

I run mine with two feet in the front but none in the rear, which slightly makes them lean back a bit, but I live in an area that's pretty seismic, the last thing I need is these puppies falling forward. If they fall, they will end up leaning against the wall.

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by djf
    I live in an area that's pretty seismic, the last thing I need is these puppies falling forward. If they fall, they will end up leaning against the wall.
    Too bad the SDA SRS don't have the bass brace thread. I've been thinking about adding a T-nut to mine and making a pair, but hate to drill into the cabinet (not because of any technical issue, just the thought of a non-stock hole.) Any SDA SRSs owners done it?

• Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • PS Audio GCP-200 preamp w/external PS
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Wadia 301 CD transport - Schiit Gungnir DAC
    • MIT Shotgun S1 IC's and speaker cables
    • PS Audio P3 Power Plant
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Thread Information