Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Default Speaker suggestions, please.

Okay, I sold my truck yesterday, so I'm thinking about "MAYBE" getting a set of speakers to run with my ASL Wave 20 monoblock tube amps. I've been on the Gon looking at what they have in the classifieds. There are some Spendors, Sonus, Dynas, Totems, PDimes, etc, etc.....

Give me some suggestions for a pair of pre-owned reference speakers in the sub $1000 range that will be happy with a maximum of 20 tube watts. Bookshelfs or floorstanders will work. I want something that one doesn't see everyday.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very very happy with the Monitor 7As in that rig and they're not going anywhere. I just want to try something different in there. I'd like to try something in the 94db+ sensitivity range.

Thanks,
    Noel
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I would look at Magnepan MMG's, Epos 12.2, and the Totem Rainmakers. The Maggies might not meet your "don't see everyday" criteria. I like Epos speakers, and I have a friend with the Totem Rainmakers running on custom built tube gear and when positioned right they are mesmerizing!
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (25)

A pair of RTA 11t's would be great on those tubes. :D
    Last edited by hoosier21; 12-01-2005 at 01:43 PM.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Some efficient Planar, I think Martin Logan has some on a money back trial, not sure about that though.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Magnepan isn't an option.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Used Spendor S3/5 or S3/5SE. Easy to drive. Excellent midrange. You could sell them on easily if you don't like the sound. Or just use a pair for a while and sell them anyway just to try something different. Epos are good too, but their sound is quite different from Spendors. I'd suggest trying bookshelfs of some type and if you like something a lot from a different manufacturer, move up to a larger pair in the same family.
    1. JM Labs Electra 920.1 and CC30; MB Quart Vera Sub; Pioneer SC-57; Squeezebox Touch; Panasonic BDT-500 Blu-Ray; Samsung 52" LCD; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S3 cables
    2. Polk SDA-SRS 2.3TL; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 SE; Classe Model 25; Marantz SA8004; Acoustech PH1P; Squeezebox Touch; Music Hall MMF7; PS Audio P1000; MIT S2 cables
    3. Polk SDA 2A; Parasound Halo JC-2 and A21; Musical Fidelity X-DAC; Squeezebox Touch; PS Audio 4.7; MIT S1 cables

Member Sales Rating: (5)

figured I'd throw Klipsch out there, I never heard them, but there suposed to be pretty sweet on tube gear, like the cornwall, lascala, or the klipschorn (might be over budget). I dont know from experience though, but If I were in your shoes, I would be curious to try it. people seem to love it to death or hate it with a passion.

of course, the above would be of the used variety for budget reasons :)
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

I can't seem to find any specs on the Thiel CS 1.5s. Only thing I can find on them is that when new they listed for $2200

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Noel,
    I guess you already know what I'd suggest:). Look into the Reference towers from Klipsch. Everything below the RF-7 and 5 could easily be found for <$1000. You can get a used pair of RF-3 (replaced by 35) for around $500-600 or even less sometimes. 98db/w/m. BlueMD owns a pair of 3's, I have 35's.

Good luck on your hunt

Maurice
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.2/v.3, or Sonus Concerto's used.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Forgot, might not be what you're looking for but the Polk RT series sounds fantastic on tubes. Have you decided what brand you're re-tubing the ASL with?
    Last edited by organ; 12-01-2005 at 04:16 PM.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

I've got a quad of Electro-Harmonix 6L6s, I just need to go pick them up. I've already put the Sovtek 5881s in. I want to try some KT66s next.

Member Sales Rating: (40)

You need to go demo/listen to some stuff locally man. Don't just 'buy' off the gon' in haste, because something meets your specs / budget.

Those Wave 20's won't handle the low impedance dips that most planar / stat speakers exhibit, they simply don't have the iron. You don't need 94 db either, find something different, something you like, and if it's 88db or better, you'll have plenty of juice.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Noel,

Specs are for whimps. Forget about efficiency reaching a certain mark... Its all in how a speaker sounds and its design, than about the numbers it puts up in testing. I got here a couple of Danes with 85 db efficiency that would work off of a 6 watt amp no problem.

So, you want something thats not every day, thats afforadable, sounds good on tubes? Well, let me throw out a few choices for you;

http://www.amphion.fi/products/argon2/argon2frame5.htm

http://www.almarro.com/page3033A.htm

http://www.jm-reynaud.com/jmr_us/twin.html

Search for the Meadowlark Kestrel 2 , used, on audiogon. FANTASTIC speakers, one of the pieces I reserve much buyers remorse for.

Maybe you want something COMPLETELY custom, that no one else on the planet will have. Well, ok maybe you wont be the only one with the design, but chose any wood you like and have a pair of these lovely mini monitors made;

http://www.salksound.com/MBOW1.html

I wasn't considering planars or stats to begin with. The only decent shop in town is Ovation and they are a Klipsch distributor and they used to sell PDime but I'm not too sure about that anymore. They probably carry Infinity or JBL or the like, too. I also can never get the time to go demo speakers, seeing that I'm at work for 60+ hours and 6 days a week. So I'll have to go by what I remember from past experience and what you guys know.

Energy RC-10. I'm still auditioning a pair of these on my tube integrated. I honestly think I like these better than my LSi9s. There is something about these that really draws me into the music. They are so crisp w/o being fatiguing. And the bass response for their size is insane. If you have a way to try them out I would heavily recommend it! Only around $500 retail.

Here is a link to some detailed pics I took on Trey's "Inside the Loudspeaker" page.
    http://www.eandr.biz/ASISTLSEnergyRC10.html

BTW the other finishes they have are beautiful. But they only had black when I got these.

Enjoy the hunt!

EDIT: I know these are a bit "everyday" but I do honestly feel that they are too good to ignore.
    Last edited by cmy330go; 12-01-2005 at 05:04 PM.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

Quote Originally Posted by unc2701

How much do the Abby's cost???

Put 'em on your SRS2s. My SDA 1Cs rock with the Wave 20s. I think each amp/speaker combo have different synergy/matchup points. My RT55s sound like **** on the Waves and they are one of my favorite speakers on my SS amps. Give it a go...........
    Last edited by Dennis Gardner; 12-01-2005 at 05:35 PM.

Mine are blade/blade and I don't have that extra special IC like the one Darqueknight built with the jumper that goes to the negative speaker terminal from the bb jack.

Quote Originally Posted by ND13
    Mine are blade/blade
    I wondered how early they were. Try them without the IC to see if the volume levels are adequate. That is how I ran my 1Cs for about a week and was surprised at the volume they gave. Then I got brave, now I fear no more. Mine are pin/blade though.

You can get Abby'sused under $1000... Might have to wait for awhile for them to show up on Audiogon.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

According to Dynaudio's web site they have a dealer in Indy, I'm sure they'll have other speakers also...

Audio Solutions
    6371 N. Guilford Ave.
    Indianapolis, IN 46220
    (317) 255-4434
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

Quote Originally Posted by tryrrthg
    According to Dynaudio's web site they have a dealer in Indy, I'm sure they'll have other speakers also...

Audio Solutions
    6371 N. Guilford Ave.
    Indianapolis, IN 46220
    (317) 255-4434

Thanks!!! :)

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by ND13
    Thanks!!! :)
    No problem, I do what I can to spread the sickness.

Check out Stereophile's web site they have a list of dealers in each state, the link below should take you to Indiana

Indiana Link
    Last edited by tryrrthg; 12-02-2005 at 07:16 AM.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

Does anyone know anything about the Swan Loudpeaker Co.????

Are you talking about Hi-Vi????

Swans were an import by Mark Shifter from AV123 and some of the better value speakers around 5 years ago. Nice speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner
    Swans were an import by Mark Shifter from AV123 and some of the better value speakers around 5 years ago. Nice speakers.
    These look interesting. I hate these types of ads, though. It's hard to tell if the price is each or for the pair. The 4.1s are nice looking too and they ARE priced as each. Does anyone know how to get any other discounts or coupons for Newegg purchases??

Edit- In the 4.1 spec page it says channels- single, for the 2.1s it says 2 channels, so I would have to think they are priced as a pair. Might just have to try them out for $299.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836136111

here's the 4.1s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836136112
    Last edited by ND13; 12-03-2005 at 11:34 AM.

You can get some JM Lab Elektra Bookshelves for <$1000 on the gon. Ya don't see those everyday and last time I listened to them, they sounded realy nice.
    SDA 2B
    Carver m0.5t
    AMC pre
    Cobalt Cables

Thread Information