Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I have found that the delay setting helped my effects. Boost the rears to 6db+, set the correct delay for the rears...dont get the bar too close to anything (sides)...

You should be golden.

I sometimes get so obsessed with tweaking stuff on the bar and the AVR, that I forget to watch the movie. The girlfriend gets so mad when I pause it every 5 seconds to change something!

I added two speakers in the back and I am impressed with how wide the soundfield is. My room is terrible acoustically, but it really jams with my setup.

Thanks,

Joe

Well I've had my sb50 for a week now and after switching out a bad driver I can say that this thing does indeed rock! My brother-in-law came over and was skeptical. I plopped in Pearl Harbor and went to Dec 7 bombing and he was amazed that he could hear bullets and planes coming from his sides. It's obviously not as good as my Rti8's for music, but considering I have a baby and a toddler, I won't be listening to Rush at eardrum busting levels anytime soon anyways.

So I originally bought the Sony HT-CT100 and it was REALLY lacking big time. I returned it.

I am now testing out the Soundbar 360 and well I have to put it up to MAX volume for me to even try to enjoy movies. I mean I can DEAL with it, but I want it LOUDER.

I already have a nice sub (Martin and Logan Abyss 12") that rocks. What i want to know is will the Soundbar 50 be worth getting? Is it THAT much louder (with the right receiver) than the 360? How much power SHOULD I put to it to make it LOUD??

I don't mind spending the money (and I don't have a receiver yet at all) on a receiver to power it the right way, I just have to have have a soundbar or 2.1 sound. I can't have any rear speakers and I really don't want bookshelf ones either. I just prefer a soundbar for whatever reason.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks for any and all input. Any recommendations on a receiver that would go real well with the 50? Try and keep it under $1500 if you can. I don't need XM, or all the optical outputs or even HDMI outputs. I have a bluray player, a Wii, and a Panasonic 50" plasma. That's it.

Thanks again
    Ryan

Hey Ryan,

The SB50 looks perfect under the Panny 50".

I would go with a Mid Range Denon ( AVR 789, AVR 2808CI) , or even a Pioneer elite. They will be loaded with stuff and you should be able to find them for $500ish online. They will offer plenty of power for the SB50.

One thing about the SB50 is...IT GETS LOUD! My 100wpc Denon takes it up loud and clear, so loud that it was over powering my 10" Velodyne (I then tried the Klipsch SUB10 and it was better, but I now have a Klipsch SUB 12 and the whole system fills my 25x25 room with big sound.

THE SB360 has some nice mid bass, but yes, in the store I was suprised it didnt go louder...it could be better in the home enviroment though.

Good luck.

Joe,

I actually took home the 360 and well it is still not powerful enough for me. It's teetering on the borderline though, so I was hoping that the Soundbar 50 would be MUCH louder. Would you think it is?

I know it says that it can handle 150W per channel but is that actually correct. If I get a 140W x7 Denon or something similar will it really crank? Would I have to worry about the receiver overpowering and killing the SB50?

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any comments?

Ryan

p.s. Joe I don't mind spending $1100 - $1500 on a NICE reciever if it will power the SB50 better.

The more power the better.

The SB50 is very very loud with my Denon. It stays clear as well.

I would think that a reciever with 140 watts per channel could be overkill as the SB50 is easy to drive from a speaker standpoint. (140 watts wont hurt the SB)

Also, you will notice better surround effects with the SB50 (Wider)

I can't wait to hear your thoughts with the SB50 and the Martin Logan Sub. It should be a very musical setup.

Quote Originally Posted by vidoprof View Post
    Joe,

I actually took home the 360 and well it is still not powerful enough for me. It's teetering on the borderline though, so I was hoping that the Soundbar 50 would be MUCH louder. Would you think it is?

I know it says that it can handle 150W per channel but is that actually correct. If I get a 140W x7 Denon or something similar will it really crank? Would I have to worry about the receiver overpowering and killing the SB50?

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any comments?

Ryan

p.s. Joe I don't mind spending $1100 - $1500 on a NICE reciever if it will power the SB50 better.
    I power my SB42" with a yamaha HTR-6080 and this great, lots of power and the SB50 would even be better as it provides you with 2 extra drivers and bass port. You want to have enough power to keep the AVR volume at max 50% which will not over drive the AVR and also provide you with cleaner/better quality power. If I am correct the drivers are rated 125w therefore a receiver in the area of 140w should be great. Also, you have to make sure you pick an AVR with today's technology which will allow you to use proper digital audio out of your BluRay player. You don't have to pay top dollar, IE: in the yamaha receivers, the HTR-61XX series (6160 and above) should be at a good price since the newer models have taken over. You could consider do the same scheme with your favorite brands.

Cheers :)

THanks for the replies guys I really appreciate them.

I don't need 7.1 channel surround and XM, and Ipod and all the bells and whistles I just need power. I just want to power this thing as well as I can and as LOUD as I can. I also don't want to feel like I am wanting more power.

Right now I have the 360 at MAX volume when I watch a movie and feel like I am still not satisfied. Will the SB50 be THAT much better / louder for me with the right receiver? Should I go the amplifier route? I think that might be overkill but I figured I would ask.

I have the M&L set to 4 out of 10 on the gain and it sounds GREAT. LOUD, tight bass and I am NOT wanting louder on the sub, although if I go up to 5 out of 10 the gf says it's way too loud and we can't hear each while we are watching a movie (the whole point IMO :) )

THanks again
    Ryan

Most recievers that are pushing 140watts per channel will have 7.1 and Xm, USB, Ipod ect.

I would look into a year or two old model that has HDMI pass through, putting out 110-140watts per channel and is from a good company like Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon...ect.

You will be one happy camper.

Joe,

Any that you can recommend?

I am imagining that THAT too might be the way to go for now. I just don't want all the speakers and wires cluttering my space (not even MY space it's rental space).

Once I get the house I want I will set it up the way I want and move the soundbar into the bedroom.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by vidoprof View Post
    Joe,

Any that you can recommend?

I am imagining that THAT too might be the way to go for now. I just don't want all the speakers and wires cluttering my space (not even MY space it's rental space).

Once I get the house I want I will set it up the way I want and move the soundbar into the bedroom.

Ryan
    The Pioneer VSX-1018TX does a nice job powering my 42" Surroundbar on my master bedroom setup. In the livingroom, my 50" Surroundbar is powered by a Pioneer SC-07. With both setups having pre-outs, when I want serious sound, I switch on the Emotivas and let my LSi's sing. The A-B speaker setup gives me a nice choice for the sound I need.

Default Update

Well,

I have been trying all different settings on my SB50.

I bought two RM101's and had them about 20 feet away with a Remote Wireless unit (cant run wires).

I then found a way to mount the small RM101's under my bar right behind me (4 feet away).

I orginally had a Velodyne CHT-10. I now have a Klipsch SUB-12. It sounded good but it didnt blend perfectly with my SB. I played around with some things and here is what I did. (Denon AVR985S)

-I set the Crossover at 100hz.
    -I set the FR,FL,C,SR,SL to Large (SB has its own filter to keep it safe)
    -Instead of running Dolby Digital EX for the mixing of the 6th and 7th channel, I now run Dolby Digital + PL II Cinema.
    -LFE+MAIN = This was on by accident, but after watching "Taken" last night, I was so impressed.. Gun shots, explosions..my sub sounded "quicker" and it blended with the bar very nicely.(Tough to do sometimes with a Large HT Sub and small 3.5' drivers)

I am super happy with what I have. The SB looks nice and modern in my room and the whole system came together great. Music is also fantastic.

Joe

-LFE+MAIN = This was on by accident, but after watching "Taken" last night, I was so impressed.. Gun shots, explosions..my sub sounded "quicker" and it blended with the bar very nicely.(Tough to do sometimes with a Large HT Sub and small 3.5' drivers)
    Polk recommended different set-up but as I pointed out, HT is made to run subs on LFE otherwise, you are missing a huge portion of the effect. This accident just happened to be your lucky day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TECHNOKID View Post
    Polk recommended different set-up but as I pointed out, HT is made to run subs on LFE otherwise, you are missing a huge portion of the effect. This accident just happened to be your lucky day ;)

So I am good with leaving it as is?

Thanks!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by svtjoe View Post
    So I am good with leaving it as is?

Thanks!

Joe
    "If it works don't touch it!" That is the old saying for a technician, if you are happy that is the main thing. As pointed out, LFE is there of a good reason and that reason is MOVIE SUBSONIC EFFECTS! Now, you have mentioned your RM101 rears under your bar, are the tweeters are hear level? This would provide you best results. If not, try tilting them up (I guess/presume?) to aim toward your hear level position and see if any improvements.

Well I always had the LFE coming out to the sub. What am I gaining by putting LFE + Main? I know the bar will limit the low hz.

Also the Rear RM101 behind me are right at ear level. I will get some new pictures.

Thanks,

Joe

Look Mom! No Wires!

That component closet can't be cleaned up..I tried :D.

Also, instead of selling the R15's for nothing, I moved them outside! The R series lives on! 8 years and still loud and clear!
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by svtjoe; 08-17-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by svtjoe View Post
    Look Mom! No Wires!

That component closet can't be cleaned up..I tried :D.

Also, instead of selling the R15's for nothing, I moved them outside! The R series lives on! 8 years and still loud and clear!
    Nice set-up, looks good! Does your gear have enough breathing space in that closet? I would keep the rest of the family away from the gear, just need someone to drop a jacket of some other piece of clothing over the gear (receiver) and that's it, it can't breathe anymore. Any young kids at home?

No kids at all. The girlfriend knows not to touch it. I made a small shelf to keep the DVD player off. It does get a tad warm in that closet. I live in Florida, those jackets wont be moving anytime soon...

I do need to get something to clean up those wires and make that room look slick. Mabey I will work on it this weekend.

Thanks,

Joe

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Default Help with set-up....

I just got the surround bar (42") for my parents. They have a really hard room to work with and I recommended the suroundbar. The room opens up to a large living room and open kitchen / dining area, so noise is an issue. With the dimensions and layout of the room, it seems impossible to have a 5.1 set-up due to where the TV has to be placed. Also, to make matters worse, the room is wood panelling on 3 sides and a brick wall with a 24" ledge on the outside wall. We haven't added a sub yet and I still have to tweak the settings on the AVR. I am assuming that the sub will make a huge difference as right now my father doesn't trust me that it will make much of a difference. I have included a crude drawing of their room. Any suggestions on optimizing the performance is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by shawn474; 05-28-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Your surroundbar must be centered with your couch in order to work properly. Looking at the placement of your couch, you would need to place the TV and surroundbar on that brick wall centered facing the couch near the fire place.

As far as the sub, you best bet would be to set the subwoofer on the centered couch and crawl on the floor paying attention where the sound from the sub is optimal. You then set the sub at that location if feasable.

If you want the TV to be viewed in other areas of the room, you would simply need to set it on on a swivel bracket so it can be angled for best viewing for all users sitting at different locations. However, you must realise the other seating such as love seat and chair will never get optimal audio from the surroundbar.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by shawn474 View Post
    I just got the surround bar (42") for my parents. They have a really hard room to work with and I recommended the suroundbar. The room opens up to a large living room and open kitchen / dining area, so noise is an issue. With the dimensions and layout of the room, it seems impossible to have a 5.1 set-up due to where the TV has to be placed. Also, to make matters worse, the room is wood panelling on 3 sides and a brick wall with a 24" ledge on the outside wall. We haven't added a sub yet and I still have to tweak the settings on the AVR. I am assuming that the sub will make a huge difference as right now my father doesn't trust me that it will make much of a difference. I have included a crude drawing of their room. Any suggestions on optimizing the performance is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG]

Shawn

Just to set the record straight it is a 50 inch surroundbar.

Jim

TK,
    Thanks for the reply. So I guess mounting the surroundbar on the brick wall would be the best option? Putting the TV on that brick ledge is not an option I don't think. It is a rear projection DLP. Right now I have the surroundbar sitting on the tv stand right below the television. Is this not optimal?

Thanks again,
    Shawn
    Last edited by shawn474; 05-28-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Hello Shawn,
    The conern is the relationship between where the TV/speaker is and the viewing audience. Will viewers be sitting on the couch for movie watching? If so, that seems to be be off-axis for both the TV and the Surroundbar. Is there a possibility of using a swivel type mounting bracket that would pivot both the TV and the speaker when people were using the system?
    Regards, Ken

Ken,
    Yeah I could definitely look into that. Seems to be the best option. The only other thing I was thinking was completely rearranging the room with the TV stand between the two windows and putting the couch on the far wall. Or just placing the couch in the center of the room and rearranging the furniture.

Thanks,
    Shawn

Shawn,
    Any of those approaches would be good. It might be helpful to get your parents thinking about what happens when you go to a movie theater. The screen is in front of the viewer fairly straight ahead. This might give a point of view that could make things easier to convince them to make changes.
    Take care, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by shawn474 View Post
    Ken,
    Yeah I could definitely look into that. Seems to be the best option. The only other thing I was thinking was completely rearranging the room with the TV stand between the two windows and putting the couch on the far wall. Or just placing the couch in the center of the room and rearranging the furniture.

Thanks,
    Shawn
    Could work, another concern are the windows if we speak of visual. Maybe your parent should consider some black out material as cutains in order to stop sun light to get in when they play movies. This type of material is normally used in hotel for their curtains. I came across this this week when actually shopping for sound proofing curtains. If this material is also good for this, it would then cover 2 aspects; better viewing and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Swauger View Post
    Shawn,
    Any of those approaches would be good. It might be helpful to get your parents thinking about what happens when you go to a movie theater. The screen is in front of the viewer fairly straight ahead. This might give a point of view that could make things easier to convince them to make changes.
    Take care, Ken
    +1 on Kenneth's intervention(s). I guess I wasn't too clear in with own concerns. The idea of swivelling both the TV and SB seems to be the best approach since it could be optimally set for all potential placement of the audience. Remember the couch may be used in most occasions while with family and/or friends gathering may require the use of the love seat and chair also which may require different aiming of both visual and audio during those occasions.

Default Why no black 42" surroundbars?

A newbie here, interested in buying a 42" surroundbar.
    And there seems to be a run on them - especially in black.
    Polk's own website sells them for the same price as they sell the 50".
    And their ebay site sells only the titanium.

Are they maybe not making this product anymore?

Any reason?

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I'd suggest the 50". It sounds much better and not just because of the size. The SDA effect is produced in the front stage as well.

But i've got a 42" tv...i think the 50" might look silly.

Thread Information