Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I'll be less cryptic :D, I have heard many Bose accoustimass systems in house and in store. I heard the surround bar at last years polkfest, hooked up to a psw404 (not exactly a known powerhouse sub) and what I would call a horrendous room for a demo (certainly not ideal). That notwithstanding, it still sounded surprisingly good.

add in the fact that I have never heard a Bose Accoustimass I liked, makes my choice easy.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hi Paul:

Thank you for your reply, and your honesty about your objectivity. I've heard very good things about polk and leaning towards your products. What interest me about the SoundBar is that I can place it in front of the TV on the stand and it will loook very nice, as upposed to having 3 different speakers sitting up there with seperates. I have a set of rear speakers so the SDA isn't so much a need for me. So let me ask you this, if I had a choice of the SoundBar + 2 addt'l rear speakrs and a sub vs the Polk Rm10 system, which would sound better in your opinion?

F1nut:

That is a very fair statement and good feedback. I certainly don't claim to be an audiophile, but the Bose systems i've heard sounded good to me. I don't know how they hold up in th end though. I do love my Polk sub and i have a friend wth a Polk system that sounds great, so I'm definitely thinking polk might be the way to go. Just trying to find out more about this SoundBar product. The wife likes the idea of 1 speaker acros the front of the TV vs 3 little ones... so I'm trying to overcome the WAF, but I want the sound to be most excellent!!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Kjahadi,

Being somewhat more accustomed to hifi I had serious doubts about the SurroundBar, but found it sounded quite good, especially for it's size. It will play very loud and yet remain crystal clear. Impressive.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (58)

The SBar is intended for a multi-channel application by design, but it does sound very good on it's own for 2CH/Stereo formats. Keep in mind that you need a subwoofer, per the manual and by general opinion.

The imaging in 2CH mode is like any bookshelf type speaker but you may find some interesting soundfields, provided you have a modern receiver. It can recreate them far better than a bookshelf speaker

It doesn't always have to function for a movie, as musical media, often showcase it in a different light.

The SBar is multi-dimensional in sound and application.

Stop thinking so much, just listen.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 09-28-2006 at 01:09 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    Stop thinking so much, just listen.
    You said it... gonna try to listen to one this weekend. Hopefully it goes on sale again soon... i think it was on sale over the summer for $599 + a subwoofer. Any chance we'll see that kind of sale again soon, maybe for the holidays? I'm holdin out for a good deal, hopefully one will come soon.

Thanks for all the input.

I would imagine that you'll see that sale again, good luck. Let us know what you think of the demo. I HOPE that it's set up nicely but won't hold my breath.

Polkosaurus Rex

Kjahadi,
    The drivers and tweeters used in the surroundbar are the same as those used in the RM10 sats, so from a perspective of tonal accuracy, dynamic range and all that crap the two would be roughly equivalent. So it comes down to imaging and esthetics. In these areas my feeling is the SB 7.1system beats the RM10 5.1 system. Go back to my first post and read what I said about the imaging advantages of using a SB with rear speakers. That combination produces a more life-like surround field than a 5.1 RM10 system ever could and will look better doing so.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Well said Paul, on both posts. Now on the LSi surroundbar :D

BTW, it was good to meet you in Denver.
    Tschüss
    Zach

Polkosaurus Rex

Same here Zach. Matt Polk brought up his conversation with you at a recent meeting. You made an impression. I think that's a good thing...

I enjoyed talking to him, although schedules didn't allow a lengthy conversation. Did he see the popcorn box as well?
    Tschüss
    Zach

I listened to this and it was great but I agree as sole speaker... not for me

Member Sales Rating: (6)

grr, I'm close to pulling the trigger on this one based on the amazon review

Saw a Soundbar at Circuit City in Portland for $299 -- open box. I went to check it out again a few days later. (I wasn't interested in buying it, but couldn't believe the price) but it was sold.

That was a pretty cool mark down !
    Harmon Kardon AVR 340 Polk RM6900

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I got a chance to hear this friday at a local Sound Advice and I have to say I was extremely disappointed. It sounded harsh and I was not hearing the surround effect at all. Was I expecting too much?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Yes Darla, since you were in a noisy store that had all manner of noise & distractions in it!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz
    Yes Darla, since you were in a noisy store that had all manner of noise & distractions in it!
    Maybe so.....
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.

I am choosing between Surroundbar and MP-4512 (from MK Sound), planning to go to audio stores to listen to both products, but want to ask if anybody on the forum listened to MP-4512, what's you impression?

Moved post to different thread...
    Last edited by jkn; 12-07-2006 at 08:42 PM.

I heard the SB at Frys and was very impressed. I, too, prefer independent speakers for HT, but would definitely consider and/or recommend this for limited space applications.

After looking at several center speakers this past weekend I would think that this would be a nice addition to a independant speaker system used as a center channel.

I finished my install of the surround bar on Friday. The way I mounted it is basically like this. 46 inch LCD on Wall, surroundbar on wall under the LCD TV. Under both of these items is an entertainment cabinet housing the electronics (66 inch’s wide). The top of the cabinet is approximately 31 inches off the floor with the surroundbar another inch above that and the TV another inch above the surroundbar. The TV sticks out from the wall about an inch more than the surroundbar. I have the surroundbar and sub (PSW10) hooked up to the receiver (surroundbar left and right fron’ts and sub in hooked up together as per instructions that came with the surroundbar). The following settings are what I have the receiver set to. All speakers set to large, sub set off. Also, the surrounds are set to output 4db while the center/fronts are set to 0. All five speakers set to 12 feet from listening position.

As for my review, I will say aesthetically I love the way it looks under the TV, I think it is the best chance anyone can have with passing the WAF test! :) As for sound, with the sub attached, there is plenty of bass for my modest 13x14 sized room. The front sound stage is quite warm. The only thing negative I can say is I do not seem to be hearing any of the side surround. At least I can’t make it out. I have played blu ray disks, directv (5.1 source), cable (5.1 source) and can not make out any side surround sounds.

Anyway, other than the issue with the side surround I am very happy with the bar, the sound is light years ahead of the TV’s built-in speakers. I will continue to read all threads about the bar for tips on improving the surrounds.

Hello,
    My receiver (Onkyo TX-SR804) doesn't have a general speaker setting for large/small. It does, although, let you calibrate the frequency for each channel (the defaults are set to 80hz). Also, how much gain, if any, should I give each speaker. One review said to give the surround +6db gain.

Thanks!

Additionally, I set my front, center and surround to Full Band. Although, now I'm not getting anything to my sub. My receiver's subwoofer settings are set to:

ON
    LPF of LFE - 80hz (options are 90, 100 or 120)
    Subwoofer mode - LFE only (other option is Double bass which, in addition to LFE channel sounds, the subwoofer outputs front left and right channel bass sounds)

Soooooo, I'm wondering if I should
    a) keep the speaker settings at Full Band and adjust my subwoofer settings? OR
    b) hook up the PSW10 via speaker level inputs (from the front right and left channels), turn off the sub in the receiver and set all speakers to full band (this was Polk's suggestion in the SurroundBar guide but I already went and bought a nice subwoofer cable

I like my rear channels to be hot although 6dB is a little much. I run my rears at +3dB. Technically, you should be calibrated with an HT disc such as Avia or DVE but that's you're call....even calibrated, I run my rears hot.

You need a subwoofer, which you have, and my suggestion would be to cut in at 120Hz....and try 100Hz after a couple movies. If you don't really discern a difference, make a judgement call. 100Hz is nominally as low as I would go with the SBar and I'm pretty sure it what they suggest anyways. You could SPL and Freq. sweep it but it just depends on how geeky you want to get.

I don't know every option in that particular AVR but have you tried running SUB ON, 100 and SMALL? You have subwoofer goodness then, right? It's when you have SUB ON, 100 and LARGE that you have no subwoofer action, correct?

Speaker level inputs are for the birds, use the LFE cable if at all possible with your AVR.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 01-02-2007 at 10:14 PM.

You need a subwoofer, which you have, and my suggestion would be to cut in at 120Hz....and try 100Hz after a couple movies. If you don't really discern a difference, make a judgement call. 100Hz is nominally as low as I would go with the SBar and I'm pretty sure it what they suggest anyways. You could SPL and Freq. sweep it but it just depends on how geeky you want to get.
    OK, I'll try running my speakers at Full Band (i.e. large) and set the LPF on LFE to 100hz or 120hz (with Subwoofer mode set to the default, LFE only).

It's when you have SUB ON, 100 and LARGE that you have no subwoofer action, correct?
    Yes, it's when I have the sub on, speakers set to Full Band and the LPF on LFE set to the default 80hz when I get nothing from the sub.

I don't know every option in that particular AVR but have you tried running SUB ON, 100 and SMALL?
    I'm assuming "100" correlates to the LPF on LFE or are you talking about another setting? I have tried the defaults (sub on and 80hz for all speakers and it seems to work fine but I feel like I'm not getting the full potential out of my SurroundBar if I leave it set that way)

Default response from Polk

To anyone who's interested, here was Polk's response

Jeff,
    I'll answer your questions:

The best hook up method depends on the receiver. Since you have an
    Onkyo 804, it is modern with enough adjustability to use the "sub out'
    jack from the receiver to "LFE" input on the sub then 120 Hz is the
    appropriate crossover frequency, with all speakers set to this and none
    set to large.

As for the surround level, +6 is recommended for a heightened sense of
    the surrounds. The best advice is to play it and try different
    settings.

For the PSW10, if hooked the "sub out" method, turn the "low pass" to as
    high as it goes clockwise, start with the volume control at 50% and
    leave the phase at 0.

Default Onkyo SR604 set-up comment and question!

First of all, I would like to thank silvercbr (and Jeff from Polk) for his great advice. The setup of the sub PS10 definitely improved my bass. I've had the surround bar for a couple of weeks and it sounds great. Watching Star wars 3revenge of the Sith, was phenomenal and it definitely pleased the wife with no drilling holes and wires running thru our family room.
    I have all the speakers set up at 120hz and subwoofer on (I have direct from sub out of receiver to line in on left at Sub. It works fine. In response to the question about the sub not working, make sure the dvd button in front of the receiver is set for Dolby pro-logic 2 instead of stereo or mono setting, because I noticed it would cancel the sub response if not set right. Also, in the manual, it states to use this setting if you are not using surround back speakers, which the surround bar would not be connected from the color coded wires. Also, my +6db setting for the 2 surround level seems just right and 0db setting for the front, center speaker levels. I did set the subwoofer level at +9 dbs which I think increased the effectiveness of the sub (please let me know if that is wrong).
    Now, here are my questions about this 7:1 channel Onkyo receiver: What about the Equalizer setting? I have it off. Also, What about the input channel settings of the following: Multiplex (I have it set on main), Mono input ch., Panorama, Dimension, Cener Width, Center Image, and Listening Angle. Will these settings help increase the surround effect of the Bar. Help is appreciated.

Bought one of these a couple of weeks ago. It is hooked up to a Sony STR-DA2ES and used in tandem with a PSW404. I have to say unfortunately that I am totally and completely underwhelmed. I love my RTi6's, 10's, even 4's, and this thing sounds like a tin can compared to any of those fine speakers. The soundstage is just a little better than the built in speakers in my TV and for the price, the surround effect is not reason enough to justify the price. Sorry guys, I just do not hear what you guys are hearing.

Hi guys,

Just purchased one of these for a set up in a bedroom (today online), where I don't have the facility or want for rear speakers in that room. Am awaiting delivery of it and from the reviews on the Polk site and the blurbs in the forums, I doubt it will be anything but "Polk Perfection". As all my Polk purchases have been "unheard" prior to purchase, because Downunder you don't find the stuff in retail stores, I doubt I'll be disappointed. As per my signature, I have the full home theatre set up in my lounge room and wouldn't consider a SB for a main system, but as a secondary system, this thing will be ideal. This is going to be hooked up to a Marantz SR5300, a Polk PSW250 and a 42' Fujitsu plasma that is wall mounted - and the SB will be wall mounted just below it - I can't wait!

Just read the above post from anonymouse - I understand it will sound thin unless you set all your speakers to "large" in your electronics. I'll certainly rate it when I receive it and will set it up as per specifications.
    Last edited by VXR8; 01-26-2007 at 04:35 AM.
    Regards - Gaz from the land of Oz

Main
    Denon AVR-4520
    Emotiva MPS-2 7 Channel Amp (driving all LSi's)
    Emotiva XPA-2 (driving RTiA9s)
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851C / 850E / 752-BD
    Polk Audio Cherry LSi9s - LSiC - Cherry LSi7s - PSW505 - RTiA9s
    Panasonic TH-P60UT50A 60' 3D Plasma
    Foxtel Digital HD+
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40

Bedroom
    Denon AVR-3808
    Denon DVD-3930
    Polk Audio SurroundBAR - PSW250
    Fujitsu P42HHS10W/P42HHS10A 42' HD Plasma - HD STB

Thread Information